By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Please, For The Love of God, Stop Saying Nintendo is Doomed (article)

Still doomed 38 49.35%

Since 1889 39 50.65%

Total:77
Soundwave said:
onionberry said:

Never count Nintendo out, history lesson 101.

I'm not counting them out, but there's no magic fairy that prevents them from failing either. NX could very well fail, the Wii U and GameCube did, and the Wii had a lot of serendipity going for it.

I highly doubt NX is going to fail: Nintendo is spread thin with respect to putting software on 3DS and WiiU right now but once NX is out, it would only make sense to focus all efforts on that new platform from then on.

Around the Network

At least half of the points being made are actually negatives for Nintendo's long term health, or shows ignorance of business principles. Sure, Nintendo could lose hundreds of million for several quarters running and still have a lot of money in the bank. But money in the bank doesn't save a company if it consistently fails to make products that turn a profit. Nintendo would be broken up and sold for parts well before the $5Bn disappears, and not least because the shareholders don't want to let that $5bn pile shrink any more. If that $5Bn dropped by 10% over the course of a year and a half so as to cover its losses that would spell major problems for Nintendo as a company.

The fact it needs to rely on Amiibo and helpful foreign exchange movements for profit is bad, because it means its core products are failing to add to the bottom line, and worse they acting as a drag on growth. This is bad news for long term viability.

When Nintendos most ardent supporters have to resort to arguments that on analysis point to the company having existential problems in its core business then that actually feeds the doom mentality rather than negates it.

Fact is, Nintendo is the closest it's ever been to doom because it was always able to rely on the handheld market to compensate for disappointing home console performances from N64, GC and Wii U. But with 3DS aiming at being only a little over 1/3 of DS LTD sales and Nintendo going all in on what seems to be a singe device to cater to both console demographics (hand held and home console) NX is literally a boom or bust proposition for Nintendo. And they way both markets are going for Nintendo bust is as likely or more likely than boom.

I've no real idea what the boom/bust line in the sand is for NX, but I would say if they sell much below 40 million units that will be a big problem for them.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
At least half of the points being made are actually negatives for Nintendo's long term health, or shows ignorance of business principles. Sure, Nintendo could lose hundreds of million for several quarters running and still have a lot of money in the bank. But money in the bank doesn't save a company if it consistently fails to make products that turn a profit. Nintendo would be broken up and sold for parts well before the $5Bn disappears, and not least because the shareholders don't want to let that $5bn pile shrink any more. If that $5Bn dropped by 10% over the course of a year and a half so as to cover its losses that would spell major problems for Nintendo as a company.

The fact it needs to rely on Amiibo and helpful foreign exchange movements for profit is bad, because it means its core products are failing to add to the bottom line, and worse they acting as a drag on growth. This is bad news for long term viability.

When Nintendos most ardent supporters have to resort to arguments that on analysis point to the company having existential problems in its core business then that actually feeds the doom mentality rather than negates it.

Fact is, Nintendo is the closest it's ever been to doom because it was always able to rely on the handheld market to compensate for disappointing home console performances from N64, GC and Wii U. But with 3DS aiming at being only a little over 1/3 of DS LTD sales and Nintendo going all in on what seems to be a singe device to cater to both console demographics (hand held and home console) NX is literally a boom or bust proposition for Nintendo. And they way both markets are going for Nintendo bust is as likely or more likely than boom.

I've no real idea what the boom/bust line in the sand is for NX, but I would say if they sell much below 40 million units that will be a big problem for them.

Yeah that's a good point. If their stock price and cash reserves diminshed it could also invite hostile take over bids. I'm sure Apple could make a pretty penny selling Nintendo games on their phones/tablets, if the price was right they'd become a valuable take over target.

I heard the same doom/end of the world message with the ps3 and look where Sony is now

It's been like this for some time, definitely won't stop :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

they are clearly not doomned. if they have one more bad/gimmicky/failed home console the time gor them to make home consoles is over, however

Twitter @CyberMalistix

pokoko said:
I honestly don't know if I'm more tired of "Nintendo is doomed" threads or "OMG NINTENDO IS NOT DOOME DSHUPUP!!11!" threads. The amount seems pretty close.

Regardless of that, did someone really write that "Nintendo could lose hundreds of millions every quarter for years and still be fine for a long time"? Because, no, they would not be fine if they did that. People really need to stop saying that.

I agree as a company you always have to outgrow your previews years dueto interest rates, wage increases, R&D etc etc etc. 

Google translate... "Nintendo is Doomed" ........ "I want to play Nintendo IP's but never want to buy a Nintendo console so plz go third party"

I'm surprised an article defending Nintendo came from a Kotaku site since they seem to have a hard-on for crapping on them.

wombat123 said:
I'm surprised an article defending Nintendo came from a Kotaku site since they seem to have a hard-on for crapping on them.

<true that>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001