By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Star Fox Zero controls....Easy peasy.

curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

Seems really nitpicky.  101 has the exact sounds you'd expect.  Whips cracking, sword clinging, handguns blasting, fists thudding.  It has exactly every sound effect you would expect in this kind of game.

Skyward Sword isn't an apt comparison.  Just nowhere near 101 in the realm of complexity.  Since the game really makes limited demands of the player, nobody gets frustrated with them and thinks less of the game.  

In an action game I want to feel powerful, Wonderful 101 didn't do that for me, which significantly reduced my satisfaction.

That and the controls are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what I didn't like though. I didn't like the graphics, I didn't like the camera, I didn't like the constant pausing of the action, I didn't the crowd mechanic, I didn't like the voice acting, I didn't like the humour, I didn't like the character designs. In fact I disliked pretty much every aspect of the game, frankly.

At a certain point, I dunno what to say except haters gon' hate.

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:

I think motion are better for aiming, and that's how I felt since the Wii came into the market, and later with WiiU gyroscope. I can't think on another possibility than aiming with motion now XD. Sticks just feel clumsy and painfully slow. Wii motion is the ideal control scheme if you ask me. 

Agreed.

Playing FPS games with dual analogue sticks feels painfully clunky to me now. It's like going back to flying a WW2 era cargo plane after getting used to a modern jet fighter.

curl-6 said:

Agreed.

Playing FPS games with dual analogue sticks feels painfully clunky to me now. It's like going back to flying a WW2 era cargo plane after getting used to a modern jet fighter.

Exactly. I'd say that they work better for TPS as well. When they're well implemented (Splatoon, Metroid Prime games on the Wii...) they're miles away of a standard control scheme. It's faster, it's more precise, and it gives you a great advantage over people who are playing with standard controls if we're talking about competitive games like CoD, Splatoon.... I can't shake the feeling that motion controls are not widely implemented because gamers are too stubborn to give them a serious try. Once you get used to them, there's no coming back.

Volterra_90 said:
curl-6 said:

Agreed.

Exactly. I'd say that they work better for TPS as well. When they're well implemented (Splatoon, Metroid Prime games on the Wii...) they're miles away of a standard control scheme. It's faster, it's more precise, and it gives you a great advantage over people who are playing with standard controls if we're talking about competitive games like CoD, Splatoon.... I can't shake the feeling that motion controls are not widely implemented because gamers are too stubborn to give them a serious try. Once you get used to them, there's no coming back.

Even on Wii U I usually prefer to play with Wiimote + Nunchuk when given the choice, like with Black Ops II, Ghosts, and Tropical Freeze.

curl-6 said:

Even on Wii U I usually prefer to play with Wiimote + Nunchuk when given the choice, like with Black Ops II, Ghosts, and Tropical Freeze.

Yep, I played Black Ops II a bit with my friends and they laughed at me for being the only one who played with the Wiimote at the beginning. It happened that I got better and in the end they were talking about my "unfair" advantage for playing with the Wiimote XD. I think some people just dismissed the Wiimote as a valid control scheme for competitive playing, but I think it's the best console setup for FPSs (best will always be PC's mouse + keyboard imo). I prefer to use the Pro Controller for platformers though. I play everything which doesn't involve aiming with the Pro Controller if possible, and everything which involve aiming with the Wiimote/Gamepad motion controls if possible. One really awesome thing about the WiiU which became a bit unnoticed is the wide variety of controllers you can use with it XD. I really appreciate that, since I can always choose my prefered control scheme. 

Also, I'll make the bold statement that the WiiMote is the best controller ever made. It worked well for everything. It had a lot of potential. And it saddens me how many people dismissed it for being aimed at "casuals". 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

Seems really nitpicky.  101 has the exact sounds you'd expect.  Whips cracking, sword clinging, handguns blasting, fists thudding.  It has exactly every sound effect you would expect in this kind of game.

Skyward Sword isn't an apt comparison.  Just nowhere near 101 in the realm of complexity.  Since the game really makes limited demands of the player, nobody gets frustrated with them and thinks less of the game.  

In an action game I want to feel powerful, Wonderful 101 didn't do that for me, which significantly reduced my satisfaction.

That and the controls are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what I didn't like though. I didn't like the graphics, I didn't like the camera, I didn't like the constant pausing of the action, I didn't the crowd mechanic, I didn't like the voice acting, I didn't like the humour, I didn't like the character designs. In fact I disliked pretty much every aspect of the game, frankly.

Hm, I heard that before... Which game is worse - W101 or Devil's 3rd?

In all seriousness Bayo 2 is inferior to W101 in every aspect. I hope Nintendo will fund W102 and Devil's 4rth on NX so curl could be happy :P

Volterra_90 said:
curl-6 said:

Yep, I played Black Ops II a bit with my friends and they laughed at me for being the only one who played with the Wiimote at the beginning. It happened that I got better and in the end they were talking about my "unfair" advantage for playing with the Wiimote XD. I think some people just dismissed the Wiimote as a valid control scheme for competitive playing, but I think it's the best console setup for FPSs (best will always be PC's mouse + keyboard imo). I prefer to use the Pro Controller for platformers though. I play everything which doesn't involve aiming with the Pro Controller if possible, and everything which involve aiming with the Wiimote/Gamepad motion controls if possible. One really awesome thing about the WiiU which became a bit unnoticed is the wide variety of controllers you can use with it XD. I really appreciate that, since I can always choose my prefered control scheme. 

I actually find the Wiimote + Nunchuk more comfortable than the Pro Controller because I can hold my hands further apart. I also love shaking them to pound the ground and bash up bosses in Tropical Freeze, it's so satisfying. :) The Wiimote Plus and Nunchuk combo is actually my favourite video game controller of all time.

Boberkun said: 

Which game is worse - W101 or Devil's 3rd?

Wonderful 101 is better. It's a 4/10 game, DT is a 2/10 game.

curl-6 said:

I actually find the Wiimote + Nunchuk more comfortable than the Pro Controller because I can hold my hands further apart. I also love shaking them to pound the ground and bash up bosses in Tropical Freeze, it's so satisfying. :) The Wiimote Plus and Nunchuk combo is actually my favourite video game controller of all time.

I had just edited my post to say that XD. I think it works for everything. You can keep apart the joystick and buttons in a way you feel comfortable with. You don't need a right stick because you can use the pointer for moving the camera. You can play 2D platformers with a very traditional setup holding it horizontally. It was a beast. If I don't use it more is because my Nunchuk is a bit broken, and it could get uncomfortable.  

Mar1217 said:

You're going to make some people angry :P

Well, it's just an opinion.

Haha. Yeah, it's just an opinion. I believe TW101 is one of the most underrated games this gen for example. I prefer it to Bayonetta 1 (not 2 though). I really don't expect that everyone will agree with me though :P.