By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft in unique position to disrupt Sony's console reign

pokoko said:
Vasto said:

"The real, true promise that UWP has for us is the ability to write our code once," said Forza developer Turn10, who used the new UWP Dev Mode to make the next Forza game. "What it means is that it's reduced the development time for us, and that really surfaces not only in the code that we write but also the toolset we get to use--that's the thing that's going to grow the most over time."

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex - Development on the Unified Windows Platform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQwmN48b3fo

Even if it does end up happening in the far future, right now we're not even close to a time when third-party publishers and developers are going to pass up putting their games on Steam.  That means your quote will only apply to Microsoft published games, for the most part, unless Microsoft starts paying for Windows Store exclusivity--which actually wouldn't surprise me.

I Don't think that Third Party developers will accept Microsoft's Money to make it exclusive for Windows Store, but Indie Developers, don't have a reason for not accept.

Around the Network

I'm not on board with the idea of a 4.5

...but really, it hasn't released yet and it's already a 'nightmare for developers' lol

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

JOKA_ said:
I'm not on board with the idea of a 4.5

...but really, it hasn't released yet and it's already a 'nightmare for developers' lol

I'm 100% against the PS4.5, but the idea of "Nightmare", may be  about the Fear that developers have that those rumors are true.

Swordmasterman said:
pokoko said:

Even if it does end up happening in the far future, right now we're not even close to a time when third-party publishers and developers are going to pass up putting their games on Steam.  That means your quote will only apply to Microsoft published games, for the most part, unless Microsoft starts paying for Windows Store exclusivity--which actually wouldn't surprise me.

I Don't think that Third Party developers will accept Microsoft's Money to make it exclusive for Windows Store, but Indie Developers, don't have a reason for not accept.

Maybe.  I mean, you're right about the smaller games, Microsoft can buy full or limited exclusivity easily.  However, I could also see them buying "UWP exclusives" for Xbox One and Windows Store in much the same way they did with the last Tomb Raider.  It might not be a common event but it could happen if they find the right situation where a publisher is willing to delay a game on other platforms.  Japanese publishers, especially, seem receptive to this tactic.

If worried about dev cost vs. platform sales benefit, XBone ports are likely in more danger than PS4+PS4K.
PS4 base is currently at 2x XBone, current sales are at 3x, which if trend continues is what combined base will look like.
PS4+4K could become 2x as expensive as XBone to dev for, yet would still be financially justified, in fact more so than XBone.
Fact is, existing PS4 games currently running at 1080p need no upgrade to meet PS4K min reqs.
Boosting to 1080p from 900p is not significant work with +25% CPU/Memory BW, +512MB RAM, +100% (or more) GPU.
Any multiplat with PC version HAS a staple of effects already integrated with the game they can use to FULLY leverage this power.
I expect ever dev will in fact be touting the benefits of PS4K in their released games.

Around the Network
Xenostar said:
Not to mention this easy to port games from PC to Xbox thing is crap anyway as every developer is refusing to touch UWP with a barge pole as there not gonna drop steam or Windows 7 anytime soon.

win7 is already behind win10 among steam user base and is a way better OS for gaming... If there is one place MS is and will be dominating it's the PC space and with the device shift developing for UWP is a no brainer in the long run for big devs and steam won't weight on that in the end... Win10 is driving force for MS like always and they will put it out there like always...and even steam will benefit from it..

endimion said:
Xenostar said:
Not to mention this easy to port games from PC to Xbox thing is crap anyway as every developer is refusing to touch UWP with a barge pole as there not gonna drop steam or Windows 7 anytime soon.

win7 is already behind win10 among steam user base and is a way better OS for gaming... If there is one place MS is and will be dominating it's the PC space and with the device shift developing for UWP is a no brainer in the long run for big devs and steam won't weight on that in the end... Win10 is driving force for MS like always and they will put it out there like always...and even steam will benefit from it..

Microsoft isn't Dominating the PC Space for gaming, Steam, is the one that is dominating it, Windows 10, was for free, i don't remember but despite Windows 10, having the majority of the Market Share on Steam, the OS, only have 33-40% of the Market Share, still have a lot of people, and Windows 10's General Install Base, is just with 270 Millions of Users, even with the Free OS, And only because people have Windows 10, does not mean that they will purchase games on Microsoft's Store, maybe purchase some exclusives, but sure that the Majority will still be using Steam, because different of the Console space, the PC, is the only plataform that all those services run, you can in 1 Click, change for Square Enix, Ubisoft, EA, Valve, or Microsoft's Plataform, in the same machine.

WoodenPints said:
Devs will just release the one version for PS4 and say well it runs on PS4.5 so that is fine. Only a few real big games and Son'y 1st party will bother full upgrading games to the PS4.5 specs.

Sony requires games to run at a minimum res of 1080p natively on PS4.5. So unless the game runs at 1080p natively on PS4 then devs can't just release the one version. Really what SOny wants is for devs to move to PS4.5 development with a downgrade for the game to work on PS4. I expect Devs to do what they do for PC games where there are settings that can be changed to allow games to run on lower powered PCs. Indeed Bioware should not be bitching about this at all because they started life as a PC game developer and so they well know the need to design a game to be able to be played on a variety of hardware of different processing power.

However PS4.5 is a risk for Sony. No one was actually calling for an upgraded PS4, so Sony is fixing a problem that didn't exist. Perhaps they were afraid of what NX would do if it ended up being 20-30% more powerful than PS4. But I don't think they should have been worried.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

No they are not, never have been, and never will be.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
No they are not, never have been, and never will be.

They definitively disrupted Sony's console reign last gen, even if it was mostly because of Sony's own fucks-up. Still, they managed to took advantage of it, and as a result we saw a fierce competition between them two unlike any other gen on which Sony has been a participant.