By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Star Fox Zero Review Thread: MC: 69 / GR: 68.84%

spemanig said:
The most egregious thing about the motion controls are that literally everything could have been done better on one screen with the right analog stick.

But they have to justify the gyro controls of the WiiU controller somehow. Or else they become like a redundant, useless aplication of such controller.

Around the Network
Wright said:

But they have to justify the gyro controls of the WiiU controller somehow. Or else they become like a redundant, useless aplication of such controller.

This clearly did the opposite. They should have done something else.

That's a surprisingly generous score. They better not be as soft on Color Splash or there will be tidal waves of flames!

Einsam_Delphin said:
That's a surprisingly generous score. They better not be as soft on Color Splash or there will be tidal waves of flames!

If they think it's warranted with such score, that's how they will feel. They played the game for some amount of hours and gave the score they gave so I'm not sure if it's for generosity sake. It probably would've been a little higher to make it generous. Heck none of us has played it yet so why is it generous? 

Hmm, a bit lower than I expected. I thought it would get a 75-80 metascore.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Your suggestion is just a different kind of bad. If flying and aiming are supposed to be independent of each other, then nothing beats the Wiimote+Nunchuk setup. Of course, the Wii U with its rejection of the Wii standard wouldn't make that a sensible decision, but... well, the Wii U is a piece of trash.

Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies features your suggested setup as well as what I mentioned in the above paragraph. Nobody in their right mind picked the Classic Controller setup because it was clearly inferior: Slower and less accurate.

Everything beats the Wii abomination. It's dead for good reason.

Though I'd rather use trash Wii controls than the gamepad gyro.

But I'd rather use superior dual analog controls than any of that garbage and just have something else on the bottom screen like a control panel or something actually neat.

Giant Bomb gives the worst review of the bunch on a Nintendo game... big surprise. Their bias knows no bounds.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

CaptainExplosion said:
Giant Bomb can drop dead.

for being honest?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
binary solo said:

But surely you would argue that a single play through of such a short game is inadequate as a basis for a fair review. And it's not like the reviewer isn't still playing games that he will review. He's not not doing his job. Not every reviewer reviews every game. He's choosing to not review this game, and instead review other games. which is a valid thing to do and a choice all critics make frequently. The only differnce here is that he's publicly stated that he's not going to review SFZ because he thinks it's a shit game. No reviewer in the history of gaming has the time or the motivation to review every game.

I have to disagree with you binary. It's a totally petulant and amateurish move, and it reflects poorly on the author and on Polygon. If he doesn't want to review a game he can always pass it along to someone else on staff. By starting and not finishing (a two hour game, mind you) he does a disservice to the game, his readers, and his profession. As someone who's worked as a journalist in print and electronic media, I find his actions embarrassing.

If he was an amateur blogger he could get away with that garbage. A paid professional at Polygon? No way.

I think writing an article about how shit the game is (which is a review in itself in a way) and his decision to not review it was the wrong thing to do. Which is a bad editorial decision. Deciding not to review the game, in consultation with his boss, is no problem at all. I'm sure his employer didn't just say, "OK well we'll pay you anyway and you can just go blob for those hours instead." People talking like the guy is being paid to do nothing. I'm sure he's still got to use those hours productively for his employer, and perhaps his employer decided his hours would be more productively used on other things.

Perhpas Ploygon thought it needed to give its readers a reason why a game like SFZ isn't getting reviewed.  It's a high profile Nintendo IP, so you'd expect a major publication to review SFZ. But perhaps just not reviewing the game and being silent is the better option here.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

spemanig said:

Everything beats the Wii abomination. It's dead for good reason.

Though I'd rather use trash Wii controls than the gamepad gyro.

But I'd rather use superior dual analog controls than any of that garbage and just have something else on the bottom screen like a control panel or something actually neat.

Weird, I though it was widely accepted that Wii Nunchuk + Wiimote is the best for shoot'em ups like Sin and Punishment XD. I guess it's a matter of tastes. I really can't think of any better control scheme in those shoot'em ups rather than the Wii controls, and I'd really like that they have implemented that in SF: Zero. But I guess they're trying to differenciate the WiiU from the Wii. It's a shame... I think they should give options for everyone. Standard controls, Wii controls, WiiU Gamepad controls... They could update the game with this, the same they did with Pikmin 3 when they added the new touch controls.