By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS4 'Neo' is a natural evolution of the console cycle

Homeroids said:
Volterra_90 said:
As long as they don't make a lot of PS4k exclusives, and the PS4 games perform well enough, not like shit, it's fine. But we have to wait and see if that's right. N3DS has one exclusive (XC) a game which runs like shit in the old 3DS version (HW:Legends) and SNES games locked. Okey, it seems that they won't lock anything, but... I prefer to take a wait and see approach about it.

If you read the Giant Bomb article, devs are not allowed to make anything exclusive to the NEO. The way I read this is that the NEO is a bit like comparing say a PC with a GPU upgrade. You get potential benefit for graphic enhancements and framerate. That's it. It is 100% BC to the PS4 and ALL games that come out after the NEO is released must work on the classic PS4. Sony appears to put heavy restrictions on this.

Further, there is no chance of exclusive features on the NEO like "special" VR support or peripherial support, or exclusive DLC in games.

Then what's the point of it? Splitting the developer and userbase just seems stupid, especially with how popular the PS4 is.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
barneystinson69 said:

May as well. I didn't get into console gaming to be a PC gamer...

How is this making you a PC gamer?

If you're a PS4 owner who isn't interested in the updated model, ignore it go about your business. Based on the information we have so far, it won't have any effect on your ability to use the PS4 the same way you are now.

I'm not saying I am a PS4 owner. But if I was, I'd certainly be mad that I spent 400$ on hardware that's replaced 3 years later. In console terms, its far too early. I'm already worried about Microsoft and their stance on this, and now Sony is on this as well. Not a good stance for the market in my opinion.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:
Normchacho said:

How is this making you a PC gamer?

If you're a PS4 owner who isn't interested in the updated model, ignore it go about your business. Based on the information we have so far, it won't have any effect on your ability to use the PS4 the same way you are now.

I'm not saying I am a PS4 owner. But if I was, I'd certainly be mad that I spent 400$ on hardware that's replaced 3 years later. In console terms, its far too early. I'm already worried about Microsoft and their stance on this, and now Sony is on this as well. Not a good stance for the market in my opinion.

But it isn't a replacement. The PS4 is still going to get the same games and work just as it has been.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Ruler said:
Shiken said:
It is not. Even if it sells well, the whole concept is stupid and anyone who supports this garbage is a fool. There is no small bump that justifies rebuying a slightly stronger version of the same hardware with no new software, no new features, and will probably be the new PS4 when the PS5 comes out. This is a horrible step in the wrong direction trying to milk the consumers into buying full priced consoles twice as much.

Sony or any console manufacture make 0% profit of the console unit sales themselves. 

Sony does it for the loyal fans who are ethusiasts on their console, just like with any hobby or product

Sonys made profit off the hardware for PS4 since almost day one. At launch, tear down estimates had the console pegged at $381 excluding any royalty or licensing fees but including logistics. I'm certain within the first year the console was sold at a profit.

So the only reason he can come up with why this is a natural evolution is games are changing? Really? They never changed before? No new ways to interact were ever added before? No new ways to experience games were ever added before?

All this stuff about technology changing faster is bullshit. It's been slowing down. The only good reason why, is not being able to deliver a justifiable generational leap in 2019, thus finding another way to prolong the generation.

Around the Network

As natural as giving birth in a pool of feces

aLkaLiNE said:
Ruler said:

Sony or any console manufacture make 0% profit of the console unit sales themselves. 

Sony does it for the loyal fans who are ethusiasts on their console, just like with any hobby or product

Sonys made profit off the hardware for PS4 since almost day one. At launch, tear down estimates had the console pegged at $381 excluding any royalty or licensing fees but including logistics. I'm certain within the first year the console was sold at a profit.

Pretty much this.

It was stated that the PS4 was actually launched at a profit, and as tech got stronger and Sony not lowering the price for quite a while, those profits increased.  The X1 was also priced to sell at a profit, but they had to cut the price due to lagging behind in sales.

The architecture for these consoles is very simple and cheap to make when compared to previous gen installments.  The PS4.5 will be underpowered for its time just as the PS4 was claimed to be (I am not going all PC elitist here, that is another topic) in the eyes of the public because they will once again price it where they make a profit, but build it not to be insanely expensive.

It is the start of a very bad console cycle for the consumer if this becomes the norm, and I refuse to support it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
aLkaLiNE said:

Pretty much this.

It was stated that the PS4 was actually launched at a profit, and as tech got stronger and Sony not lowering the price for quite a while, those profits increased.  The X1 was also priced to sell at a profit, but they had to cut the price due to lagging behind in sales.

The architecture for these consoles is very simple and cheap to make when compared to previous gen installments.  The PS4.5 will be underpowered for its time just as the PS4 was claimed to be (I am not going all PC elitist here, that is another topic) in the eyes of the public because they will once again price it where they make a profit, but build it not to be insanely expensive.

It is the start of a very bad console cycle for the consumer if this becomes the norm, and I refuse to support it.

At the same time, the console vs PC power argument is similar to comparing apples with oranges. The consoles are not only designed for absolute optimization but the parts are designed around each other. We still don't see PC games utilizing GPGPU compute, GDDR5 ram with a unified pool of memory (the gpu and CPU draws from the same pool where as on PC, the graphics cards have their own VRAM to cope with), and ronly relatively recently are PC games starting to rely on parallel processing. Beyond that, console platforms have first parties that they will pump much more money into than 99% of PC devs have. The result is a console with a laptop CPU running games like ratchet and clank, the order, uncharted etc.

I believe the cofounder of iD Software once famously said that console development nets twice as much a hardware advantage as its PC counterpart. John McCormick. Dudes a wizard and now leads Occulus Rift.

Normchacho said:
barneystinson69 said:

But it isn't a replacement. The PS4 is still going to get the same games and work just as it has been.

Really? If games start targeting the specs of this console, then games running on the PS4 will be dumbed down or be 2nd rate compared to it. Or what if the console isn't utilized, and we simply see a little resolution boost that many can't take advantage of? And given the specs of this console, I expect it to be around 500$ at least. 

I am almost sure there will be PS VR games exclusives to NEO.

And I think Sony is doing all the right things. The only thing they could do better is make PS VR equipment compatible with pc and official driver from the get go. Only keeping the games exclusive.