By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So uh, what does Microsoft do now?

CosmicSex said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Well they could always phone up Amazon and see if they want to buy Xbox. Then they go and knock on Gabe's door, get their cheque book out and try to work out a deal for Steam. Then they just sit back and watch their gaming division make profit year after year from then on.

*Amazon get the call*

*Pulls up Amazon U.S. April bestsellers and general Amazon conversaion on chartz*

*Amazon Turns down offer*

I disagree.  Amazon controls what products get primary sales positions on their site and they can help influence the market with their sales alone.  

But, I agree that Amazon isn't a buyer of Xbox.

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

They don't need to do anything, As long as MS are making money and making good games, they will ride the flow. Its not always about selling the most consoles, its about making money. The XB1 will only get cheaper to make from this point. If the PS4K doesn't sell then Sony will most likely lose money on it, same will happen with PS-VR and we know Sony isn't exactly the richest company out there.

MS doesn't care about the PS4K, that's Sony's investment to worry about. They are clearly happy with the specs of the X1 plus they already have access to the biggest gaming community out there with Windows.

Sony are the ones taking the risk here not MS.

MS must bite the bullet with NX and Neo in stores in 2016 MS must offer something.

JustcallmeRiff said:
MS must bite the bullet with NX and Neo in stores in 2016 MS must offer something.

No, they don't need to. I wonder how people will react to the Neo. I don't mean gamers that post on game forum, but normal ordinary people. Will that be confusing for parents or casual gamers?   

Make more games, preferable exclusively to xbox one only. I don't get why they need to push windows 10 so badly, if they wanted they shouldn't stop making Age of Empire. RIP Ensemble Studios.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

They don't need to do anything, As long as MS are making money and making good games, they will ride the flow. Its not always about selling the most consoles, its about making money. The XB1 will only get cheaper to make from this point. If the PS4K doesn't sell then Sony will most likely lose money on it, same will happen with PS-VR and we know Sony isn't exactly the richest company out there.

MS doesn't care about the PS4K, that's Sony's investment to worry about. They are clearly happy with the specs of the X1 plus they already have access to the biggest gaming community out there with Windows.

Sony are the ones taking the risk here not MS.

What gives you the idea they've made any money?

@OP - if MS were smart, they would either leave the video game industry or try and coexist with the major players rather than throwing a bunch of money at a project that has failed to win three times now while making attempts to compete head on.  Instead, it looks like they're leaving direct competition with Sony to take on direct competition with Steam. They're kind of fucked and I feel like they're causing brand damage to Windows as a whole in light of recent developments.

kowenicki said:
Soundwave said:

They're already getting hammered by the regular PS4 and the PS4.5 is going to be more than 3x beyond a XBOne. 

Does MS wait for fall 2017 and launch XBox 2 full stop? 8 TFLOP Polaris + HBM2 RAM + upgradable architecture? 

But all games must be playable on ps4 at some level according to Sony.... so seems you are unlikely to see anything except slightly more polish, unless they want to fuck over 40m people that is.

Exactly.  So the ps4 owner who's already happy like me can continue about their merry way.  For those who care about a few improvements feel free to shell out another $400. Personally I'll spend that money buying a shit load of games for my current ps4.

Then there's the possibility of buying PSVR so no chance I'll be getting an upgrade.  

The only good thing I can see is for those who haven't got a ps4 yet.  Sure why not,  give them a premium option. 

Some posts here man... facepalm worthy.
Last year, the gaming division made an enormous contribution to MS revenue towards the end of the year.

Hopefully Microsoft is waiting a year or two and coming out with something that really blows the Xbone away. If they do it now, they'd probably have to price it at $500 again.

What I am interested in, is the response of people here and other places similar, like GAF. For years we have been hearing about how the Xbox One is a worthless console because another console can play the same games marginally better. And when it was MS rumored to be doing an incremental upgrade to their console it was largely deemed evil and desperate by the masses here. But now that Sony has done it, will these people go ahead and buy the new console? Is Sony also evil and desperate? Or will they keep their old PS4's and accept that it, too, is now worthless because another console plays (literally) the exact same games mo betta?

Personally if MS does what Sony is doing and does a bare minimal upgrade, I will just wait for next gen and hope Nintendo brings the goods with NX. Personally I think it would be awesome if Nintendo came out with hardware that blows the others away. Would be interesting to see the consumers and developers reaction to that.

Goatseye said:
Some posts here man... facepalm worthy.
Last year, the gaming division made an enormous contribution to MS revenue towards the end of the year.

Revenue =/= profit

http://learnbonds.com/122889/microsoft-corporation-msft-loses-money-on-xbox-one-sales/

They deliberately blend in the Xbox division with other segments so that we can't figure out how well the Xbox is actually doing. I would imagine it's safe to assume that the overall performance is not so good.