By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 NEO, 9th gen or not?

So, if everybody says thats 8 gen, then PS4 global numbers sold would be PS4+PS4K and that means that PS4 could pass 100 millon and even come close to PS2 numbers.

Around the Network

There are no gens anymore. XBox 2 is probably coming next year. Then PS5 after that. Then PS5.5, lol. If Nintendo is smart NX will simply be an upgradable platform from day 1 so that it can go on indefinitely.

Angelv577 said:
Don't think so. Every game should be playable on the old version.

What if three years from now, there is a PS5 with games playable on the PS5 and PS4 NEO, but not on the original PS4?As if to assure every console iteration a normal lifespan. That should raise questions...

No since it doesn't look like it will be it's own platform.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

haxxiy said:
Angelv577 said:
Don't think so. Every game should be playable on the old version.

What if three years from now, there is a PS5 with games playable on the PS5 and PS4 NEO, but not on the original PS4?As if to assure every console iteration a normal lifespan. That should raise questions...

I am expecting a ps5 that will play only ps5 games but if that happen then yes, it will raise some question though it is hard to tell what is sony planning for the future.  As of now, I dont mind the direction Sony is taking with the improved ps4 as long as I have access to the full catalogue.

Around the Network

As I can see from the comments, and thinking in the same way, then a PC graphic card, let say Geforce 580 is on the same generation of a Geforce 680 or 780 or 980 just because it runs the same games, just at lower resolution....
So let say the PS4 only gets remasters and not other games, then It would be a better 7 gen console?
And thinking in this way, if sony say tomorrow that new games would run only in ps4k, then that just make it a new gen console overnight? weird... I think this are weird times and the notion of generation should be redefined or dismissed.

Hiku said:
Shiken said:

NX will be the onky 9th gen.  Overall power has nothing to do with the gen cycle.

I don't know if I'd call NX 9th gen. It's a new Nintendo console generation though. But I would rather say it's the 7th Nintendo generation of consoles properly joining the collective generation 8 a few years late. Because it's like they didn't properly join generation 8 with WiiU, with the majority of gen 8 games ignoring the system. And now with the NX, they will probably get the majority of the 8th gen games.
So to me what defines a generation is what games a console gets, and when the majority of developers move on to a new generation. If 90%+ of the games a system gets belongs to generation 8, then its more of an 8th gen system. The NX is not likely going to make developers jump to developing games primarily for a new generation. When that happens, that's when Generation 9 kicks off imo.
If Nintendo want to make games for a new generation on their own and no one else follows suit, then what defines those games, or their console as generation 9?

The generation of hardware has nothing to do with overall power.  If they hire more third parties to make more NX exclusive titles that cater to all audiences on top of their first party line up, it really does not matter what shows up on the other two consoles.

The generation is defined by a step up in hardware with new features and games not available on the system previous.  The NX regardless of specs is 9th gen, period.

The PS4 NEO however will offer nothing over the standard PS4 aside from a slight performance boost to games and maybe 4K.  The NEO is 8th gen hardware as it is essentially the same as the regular PS4.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

New3ds is the same gen as the 3ds.

So it will be the same for the ps4x and Xbox1.5

8th gen, suck it haters.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

JRPGfan said:
Uabit said:
Still 8th gen and almost low end hardware again x'D

The rumored GPU is 2.3x what the PS4 is.

Instead of 1.84 teraflops, going by this rumor we would see like 4.2 Teraflops.

Thats not "low end hardware".

Im guessing thats around where a AMD 290 is.

Which in some new games like Quantum break (which doesnt run great on nvidia) is like a  GTX Titan.

The AMD R9 290 is about 4.8 Tflops. The new PS4's GPU seems closer to a 280x (which is pretty much a rebranding of the HD 7970.) Practically the PS4 goes from mid-end 2013 hardware to high-end 2013 hardware, or lower mid-end hardware in 2016. I have a 280x though, and it is pretty decent, most games run at 1080p 60fps, and if not 1080p 60fps definitely locked 30fps with no drops or a variable frame-rate hovering  around 40-55 fps with v-sync. Albeit my CPU is better able to cope with the card than the Jaguar in the PS4.