By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You're thoughts on the 8th Gen.

Do you like it?

Yes 35 20.83%

Absolutely, love it! 33 19.64%

No, not really 33 19.64%

Not sure just yet 41 24.40%

Hating it 18 10.71%

My wallet doesn't :( 8 4.76%

Total:168

Does the OUYA count as well?

Anyway, I only have a 3DS. Great system, even if its really underpowered compared to almost any current hardware. The games save the system (Awakening is a masterpiece). I'd love to get a Vita, but I don't have the money nor the time to get a second backlog of games, plus most stores refuse to sell unbundled units or lower the price, plus some of the games that made me want a Vita are actually coming to PC, like Danganrompa or Steins Gate (I have yet to play those). I almost got a WiiU when Splatoon was released, but after thinking it better, I decided to save my money for the next gen (like I said, ain't got time nor money for a second backlog). The PS4 dissapointed me by following Microsoft on the online multiplayer fees. The PS3 didn't have them, and it was fine, why on Earth did they feel the need to lose that advantage. And people don't seem to mind about this, they get PS+ in droves for the multiplayer! Never really cared about the XBone, most of the titles of that console I care about are either on my PC already or will be released on PC.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

It's been alright for me so far, nothing super amazing though.

The only games this gen that hyped me were Smash Wii U and Xenoblade Chronicles X, with the latter being a little disappointing for me.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Darwinianevolution said:
Does the OUYA count as well?

I guess the OUYA counts  xD

I don't know anybody that bought it so it didn't seem like something worth mentioning. Kind of like Smartphones and IOS, I know they exist, but I don't think they are worth mentioning. :P

Edit : There I added it :P

I'm absolutely loving the eighth generation! I waited two years to the day of the PS4 launch here in the US to pick up my Sony system. The new model C (40 watts less power and quiet). I was always a huge Nintendo fan and I do love my Wii U, but the Big N is doing everything wrong this generation while Sony is doing everything right.

Seriously I see to many parallels between what Nintendo is doing now by dropping the Wii U so soon and what Sega did with the Dreamcast. If the new NX system is launching this holiday it's going up against PSVR. My pre order for PSVR is in. Not getting the NX until Nintendo can prove to me that they can get their act together. My Wii U is now officially my secondary gaming system.

That said, there are tons of games on both systems I am having a blast with.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

I've enjoyed the 3DS more than the DS but I can't say the same about Wii U over Wii. I'm still happy with my Wii U purchase but it could have been a lot better.

Around the Network

Not great so far. It's been weaker than the seventh generation, which was weaker than the sixth. The industry seems to be on a downward trajectory.

Why? The proliferation of DLC, micro-transactions, DRM, and season passes. The intense focus among publishers on advertising budgets and pre-order numbers. Fewer and fewer local multiplayer options among so-called AAA games. The lack of an independent professional corps of video game journalists. A move toward the lowest common denominator. And, worse of all, game design is regressing. Games in the 8th generation are prettier than ever, but less enjoyable (and less re-playable) than they were ten years ago.

There are exceptions of course. Indie game developers are kicking some serious butt this generation. About 10 people made Rocket League, arguably one of the best games of 2015. Games like Retro City Rampage, Runbow, Guacamelee, and Freedom Planet are as good or better than many big-budget titles. And of course great directors and developers - people like Hideo Kojima, Hidetaka Miyazaki, and Tetsuya Takahashi - are still churning out great games. And, thankfully, Nintendo's first party output is consistently great.

But in general, I don't like the business trends and I don't like the design trends, especially among "AAA" titles.

SonytendoAmiibo said:

I'm absolutely loving the eighth generation! I waited two years to the day of the PS4 launch here in the US to pick up my Sony system. The new model C (40 watts less power and quiet). I was always a huge Nintendo fan and I do love my Wii U, but the Big N is doing everything wrong this generation while Sony is doing everything right.

Seriously I see to many parallels between what Nintendo is doing now by dropping the Wii U so soon and what Sega did with the Dreamcast. If the new NX system is launching this holiday it's going up against PSVR. My pre order for PSVR is in. Not getting the NX until Nintendo can prove to me that they can get their act together. My Wii U is now officially my secondary gaming system.

Other than the systems not selling well, what exactly are you seeing?

Great multiplayers (splatoon, smash, pokken, mario kart 8) and great single player games (xenoblade, fire emblem, bravely default, monster hunter, bayonetta). Overall it has been pretty good for me.

KLXVER said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:

Other than the systems not selling well, what exactly are you seeing?

His history is wrong or uninformed.  Sega fouled up with the 32X and Sega CD add ons and then the Saturn was a mess.  The Dreamcast was doing decently for the time but Sega just ran out of money.  Running out of money caused Sega to drop the Dreamcast and go third party.  The only parallel I see is that Sony dominated that generation and the current.   The PS2 forced Sega to do numerous price cuts for the Dreamcast that they couldn't afford after their massive losses during the Saturn years.  Nintendo has barely even done a price drop on the Wii U.  So the only parallel is Sony dominating the home console market.

Got to go back to 6th gen for greatness and perhaps before that. Didn't think 7th gen was that IMO, this gen has started pretty well.