By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes vs Metal Gear Solid 3 (graphics)

Me and my friend I work with was having this discussion Sunday (as it was Easter and no one wants to come in a game store on Easter) I had just recently picked up my first Metal Gear game which was Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, and I was commenting on how well it looks to me even after 3 years and much better looking games have come out (like RE4 for GC and then the Next Gen games) and he commented on MGS3 and I started talking about how the videos I've seen didn't look at pretty and fluid as MGSTS does on my TV, he has both games and actually agreed with me but in some cases they're an even fight, then I wanted to make this topic with pictures to compare them, but I can't seem to find pics that really do either justice, and on top of that there's hardly any pictures to compare both of them fairly, as in terms of whats going on in the game.

If anyone has a good tip for capturing high quality snapshots of the game, and or a cheap way to connect my systems up to my PC so I can make some pics please tell me, or if you have good quality pictures to compare the games please post them, I ask you to keep it in the limits of fair judging IE keep similar action on the screen, don't flame one console over the other and turn it into a system fanboy debate, the whole comparision is what was done on the GC game to make it look good and what was done on the PS2 game to make it look good.

Heres the best pics I could find =\

GC: MGSTS:

PS2: MGS3

You can tell both are ingame cut scenes, the characters are up closer in the GC pic so you can see the flaws in the textures more then the PS2 characters but you can tell by looking at the guns/ missles on the left of the PS2 picture the polygon count and textures aren't that hot but the textures are similar, the GC game seems to have more polygon work going on, but we know polygons aren't the only thing that make a game look good, right now I'd say MGS3 wins in textures and character detail, while MGS:TS wins in polygons and lighting (lighting though not represented well in the picture I noticed a lot in playing the game while I've seen video of MGS3 and it was not done as well)

Discuss!

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Both games look good, I pretty much concur with what you say about them.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

mgs3 wins, twin snakes looks as good mgs2 or little better.

I'd say the Gamecube game has nice cleavage- ...err, textures. And the polygon work is definitely breast.

Uh, I mean, best.

Yep. My money's on the boob- CUBE!! I said Cube.

Dangit.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

MGS3. Get an up close shot of the Boss or Snake and they'll have more polys than Sniper Wolf does in that shot.

And just look at the polys on the portable nuke.

Not to mention TTS has more jaggies. It doesn't look much better than MGS2, imo, but for a game so early in the GC's life it looks excellent.

Around the Network

@Polish
How so? I know the comparison between MGSTS and MGS2 can be made easy as it is similar scenery but to compare MGS:TS and MGS3 you got to notice things like polygons and textures to compare. A lot of people jump on the boat of looking at the surroundings but really I'm looking at the true technical side of the graphics.

EDIT: I personally think both look great, and I'll be picking up the MGS collection on PS2 soon, but theres just something that makes me want to give the edge to MGS:TS.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Well, even back then I thought MGS:TS looked bad for a Gamecube game. I actually think it looks worse than MGS2.

fazz said:
Well, even back then I thought MGS:TS looked bad for a Gamecube game. I actually think it looks worse than MGS2.

YOUR OPINIONS ARE NOT WANTED HERE!!!! Just kiddin, btw I can't get into the chat while on campus which is why I haven't already asked your opinion. And we all know you don't care too much for MGS

TS runs in 480P and SE does not. I assumed that that would give the advantage to TS but in the same sense 480p may make the game look clearer and thus make it easier to see the flaws in textures.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Because it is based on mgs2 from technical standpoint, and in gameplay mechanics like first person shooting etc..