By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Golden Bolt Reviews: Ratchet & Clank (2002)

DivinePaladin said:

One day I'll post a video that isn't 20 minutes long...one day...

I'm working on scripting the live stuff better - I've essentially been winging it every time thus far and it's a pain to try to remember what I want to say in one take.

Lol, like I said, it's a 20 minute video is fine if the whole thing is concise.

A script would definitely help. A body mic would help to. You have a good voice and everything, so having your audio quality match the scripted stuff would improve everything exponencially.

If you're adament on having live bits, work on framing the shot better. I wouldn't look at game reviewer for this since most are pretty bad at this sort of thing. Watch episodes of Vsauce for inspiration. Believe it or not, his videos are done very similarly compositionally, so you can get some ideas. If you don't have a tripod, get one. I don't know what kind of camera you have, but that will obviously make framing much easier.

Try framing the camera closer to your face and leave little dead space above you. It can make the shot look a bit amateur otherwise unless you know what you're doing. Be as animated live as your voice is during the scripted bits.

Make a "set." The set can be your room, but organize it in such a way where it's interesting, but not distracting. Look at Kinda Funny, Satchbag Goods, theneedledrop, and Phillip Defranco.

Anything else will just come with time. Better camera, lighting, jump cuts, etc.

Around the Network

Yeah, I'm still researching good body mics. I do have a tripod, I just haven't messed too much with it since I fixed it for Mega Man (since Sly had a LOT of dead space above my head). I've gotta just set aside a couple hours one day to experiment with my setup and work around it for the time being to see what clicks.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

I remember when I first saw the picture of Rachet & Clank on the cover of PSM Magazine back in the day. I literally said, "What kind of bullsh!t is this supposed to be?" Then the game released while I was working for Walmart in the games department so I decided to try it out. Needless to say, the rest is history. Absolutely love the franchise! There's nothing about it I hate.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

FentonCrackshell said:
I remember when I first saw the picture of Rachet & Clank on the cover of PSM Magazine back in the day. I literally said, "What kind of bullsh!t is this supposed to be?" Then the game released while I was working for Walmart in the games department so I decided to try it out. Needless to say, the rest is history. Absolutely love the franchise! There's nothing about it I hate.

Not even Going Commando's yetis? You can't NOT hate the yetis!

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:
FentonCrackshell said:

Nope. Got nuttin' but love for the Yetis.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network
FentonCrackshell said:
DivinePaladin said:

Nope. Got nuttin' but love for the Yetis.

Wow. That's almost impressive! I mean I don't mind the Yetis bur I'd never say I LIKED them lol. More power to you lol

SonytendoAmiibo said:

I'm having a blast with the game. It's my first Ratchet & Clank. The visuals and play mechanics are spot on perfect. Hoping they use this engine and assets to make more.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm assuming you're talking about the new one, correct? That's what I'm tackling next, but I would fully expect a sequel at this point based on how overwhelmingly positive things have been. 

Yes, the new game. But the new one is the first game totally remastered from scratch with extra areas. 

I'm really curious to see your review of the newest remastered version vs the original game. Should be interesting.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

I'm hoping to have that review up this weekend, depending on my work and college schedule. I've just gotta set a side a day to record my audio this week.

Nice videos, if it only contained less spoilers. :)

Turkish said:
Nice videos, if it only contained less spoilers. :)

Thank you! I DID include two spoiler warnings this time, so hopefully I didn't spoil anything for you!