By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Golden Bolt Reviews: Ratchet & Clank (2002)

Skratchy said:
After playing the reboot, I have to say I am thankful as hell for Insomniac. The reboot managed to ALMOST be the same game, but with SO MANY tweaks, modernizations and a completely new engine. I was blown away. Nearly superior in everyway.

That being said, I LOVED the original game, and have been a fan since the beginning. The reboot just made me feel like a kid again. Absolutely stellar.

Playing the two back to back has been an almost surreal experience, honestly. Insomniac has always been one of my favorite developers but my god, I didn't think I'd ever experience a simultaneously spot for spot and very different remake. 

spemanig said:
Not really much I can say. I enjoyed it all the way through. Maybe you could have been a bit more concise, and I still don't like the live parts preferentially, but the review as a whole was very enjoyable.

One day I'll post a video that isn't 20 minutes long...one day...

I'm working on scripting the live stuff better - I've essentially been winging it every time thus far and it's a pain to try to remember what I want to say in one take. 

SonytendoAmiibo said:

I'm having a blast with the game. It's my first Ratchet & Clank. The visuals and play mechanics are spot on perfect. Hoping they use this engine and assets to make more.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm assuming you're talking about the new one, correct? That's what I'm tackling next, but I would fully expect a sequel at this point based on how overwhelmingly positive things have been. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network

Quite enjoyed, subscribed.

3 to 4 playthroughs to get RYNO or bolt glitch. ;)

In general this game has most of it's problems with gameplay: aiming is pain in the *** , when you fire with blaster for example one third of your ammo actually hits your enemies. This wouldn't be that major issue if the game would actually give you more money, instead it robs you with costly infobots, useless weapons, and wasted ammo.

Basically this is a game that tricks you into thinking that everything is obtainable when every crate and enemy gives you bolts but later on you realize that Scrooge McDucking 'til the end was the only way to get every useful weapon and upgrade.

On my first playthrough I had one nano upgrade, and didn't have money for tesla claw or the last nano upgrade, Drek basically kicked me in balls until I was forced to glitch the game through...

I'm so glad that Going Commando was my first touch to the series as a child, much better in every aspect, it actually rewards you for using even the lesser weapons, shots don't miss as often and then there's strafing which makes the game much more enjoyable. Also it gives you enough money for everything.

SamuelRSmith said:

Thanks dude! I appreciate it

-Ack!- said:

In general this game has most of it's problems with gameplay: aiming is pain in the *** , when you fire with blaster for example one third of your ammo actually hits your enemies. This wouldn't be that major issue if the game would actually give you more money, instead it robs you with costly infobots, useless weapons, and wasted ammo.

Basically this is a game that tricks you into thinking that everything is obtainable when every crate and enemy gives you bolts but later on you realize that Scrooge McDucking 'til the end was the only way to get every useful weapon and upgrade.

On my first playthrough I had one nano upgrade, and didn't have money for tesla claw or the last nano upgrade, Drek basically kicked me in balls until I was forced to glitch the game through...

I'm so glad that Going Commando was my first touch to the series as a child, much better in every aspect, it actually rewards you for using even the lesser weapons, shots don't miss as often and then there's strafing which makes the game much more enjoyable. Also it gives you enough money for everything.

I actually cut out my mention of the bolt glitch because I didn't want to let that affect my judgement of the game, or rather the perception of my judgement of it. It makes it easier and I may or may not have definitely done it in both my PS2 and PS3 100% playthroughs, but it wasn't intentionally designed to exist and I didn't want to let a glitch make me give the game a pass, if that makes sense. Also because I forgot to record footage of it because I didn't even think about it until I was in post. I almost recorded the Starlene (hoverboard race girl) breast enlargement glitch instead for a quick joke during that line but I decided against it! Again, mostly because my recording setup was already hooked up to my PS4 and I just didn't feel like going through the hassle of redoing it. (My Hauppauge for some reason likes to take forever to register a change in input type, and PS3 can't record from HDMI.) 

Otherwise, obviously, I agree about the game's flaws. But the challenge factor and the nonlinear level design often makes up for it to me. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:
SamuelRSmith said:

-Ack!- said:

I actually cut out my mention of the bolt glitch because I didn't want to let that affect my judgement of the game, or rather the perception of my judgement of it. It makes it easier and I may or may not have definitely done it in both my PS2 and PS3 100% playthroughs, but it wasn't intentionally designed to exist and I didn't want to let a glitch make me give the game a pass, if that makes sense. Also because I forgot to record footage of it because I didn't even think about it until I was in post. I almost recorded the Starlene (hoverboard race girl) breast enlargement glitch instead for a quick joke during that line but I decided against it! Again, mostly because my recording setup was already hooked up to my PS4 and I just didn't feel like going through the hassle of redoing it. (My Hauppauge for some reason likes to take forever to register a change in input type, and PS3 can't record from HDMI.) 

Otherwise, obviously, I agree about the game's flaws. But the challenge factor and the nonlinear level design often makes up for it to me. 

It all comes down to the fun factor, in this game the challenge comes through restriction which leads to frustration, of course if you know the game through and through you can avoid many of the problems that I mentioned earlier, but for a first-timer that's a big negative point.

Better example of challenge is in Crack in Time with hard mode.

Anyways I doubt that Insomniac didn't know about that glitch, they probably left it there just for the fun of it, remember no Youtube in 2002.

Around the Network
-Ack!- said:

It all comes down to the fun factor, in this game the challenge comes through restriction which leads to frustration, of course if you know the game through and through you can avoid many of the problems that I mentioned earlier, but for a first-timer that's a big negative point.

Better example of challenge is in Crack in Time with hard mode.

Anyways I doubt that Insomniac didn't know about that glitch, they probably left it there just for the fun of it, remember no Youtube in 2002.

Crack in Time just makes enemies take more hits and do more damage. The new game is the best way the series has ever done difficulty honestly, because it makes EVERYTHING harder - the sewer section is faster, the hoverboard AI is harder, et alia res. 

As for Insomniac knowing about the glitch, you had to do a VERY specific thing that I'm sure the QA team couldn't have tested at the time since they don't play the whole game at once. Plus it was patched out in the HD version so SOMEBODY heard about it after it came out. You can't easily fix clipping so they couldn't fix the Decoy Glove version of the glitch. Knowing Insomniac, they just missed it and somebody there probably just laughed when they found out!

DivinePaladin said:
SamuelRSmith said:

I know, you Youtubers are whores for subscribers. Remember little ol' me when you get big enough for sponsored giveaways.

SamuelRSmith said:
DivinePaladin said:

I know, you Youtubers are whores for subscribers. Remember little ol' me when you get big enough for sponsored giveaways.

Whoa, that's a little harsh dude. You're talking to a dude with like 30 subscribers that's doing this for fun. I don't have long term goals for the channel other than trying to get people to find some new games that they might like. 

I just simply don't know what to say other than "thank you" for enjoying my stuff lol. If that comes off as greedy or disingenuous, I apologize, but I take something like a sub as a personal compliment, not a number towards a goal or anything. That's why you'll see me give longer replies towards criticism or advice because I know how to take that stuff already! 

Anyway, point is, sorry if a short reply comes off as malicious in any way. Like I said I just genuinely take it as a compliment when somebody subscribes, and that's still a bit of new ground where I just don't know how to respond other than "thanks" lol. Of course, if you were joking ignore all this, but still. 

DivinePaladin said:

Whoa, that's a little harsh dude. You're talking to a dude with like 30 subscribers that's doing this for fun. I don't have long term goals for the channel other than trying to get people to find some new games that they might like. 

I just simply don't know what to say other than "thank you" for enjoying my stuff lol. If that comes off as greedy or disingenuous, I apologize, but I take something like a sub as a personal compliment, not a number towards a goal or anything. That's why you'll see me give longer replies towards criticism or advice because I know how to take that stuff already! 

Anyway, point is, sorry if a short reply comes off as malicious in any way. Like I said I just genuinely take it as a compliment when somebody subscribes, and that's still a bit of new ground where I just don't know how to respond other than "thanks" lol. Of course, if you were joking ignore all this, but still. 

I meant it totally as a joke, sorry for upsetting you.

Oh okay, no worries dude. I just wanted to be sure that I didn't slight you or anything lol.