By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is upgrading 720p to 1080p worth it?

Is it worth the upgrade?

Yes 107 70.39%

No 33 21.71%

I don't know 3 1.97%

See Results... 9 5.92%

Total:152

It was like 4 years ago... We're getting close to moving to 4k.

Around the Network

Wow, so many professional engineers and technicians around here.

I've been playing PS1/PS2 games mostly as of late. My 24" 1080p TV does a great job displaying those older games and dvds at 480i/p, and playing Xenogears at 720p on the PSTV doesn't look bad at all.

Really, I can only tell the difference between 720p/1080p if very close to the TV, or on the 42" and 55" TVs I have access to.... And sitting less than 3 feet away from a TV isn't very healthy.

Get a 32 1080p screen as you originally intended, they're affordable and get the job done. Although I bet 1080p looks great on a 44" or bigger if seating more than 3 feet away.

Kuksenkov said:
Wow, so many professional engineers and technicians around here.

I've been playing PS1/PS2 games mostly as of late. My 24" 1080p TV does a great job displaying those older games and dvds at 480i/p, and playing Xenogears at 720p on the PSTV doesn't look bad at all.

Really, I can only tell the difference between 720p/1080p if very close to the TV, or on the 42" and 55" TVs I have access to.... And sitting less than 3 feet away from a TV isn't very healthy.

Get a 32 1080p screen as you originally intended, they're affordable and get the job done. Although I bet 1080p looks great on a 44" or bigger if seating more than 3 feet away.

Why isn't it healthy? Maybe there was some truth to that with early CRT tvs, yet I don't see any widespread epidemic from people using PC monitors all over the world since the eighties.

It's a myth. http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/vision-facts-myths.html Sit where ever you like.

SvennoJ said:

Try here http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-type/1080p-full-hd/best

Samsung J6200 series is their mid range pick, still CAD 1000 for 55" and mixed reviews at Bestbuy.
Vizio E-Series is the budget pick, CAD 749 on sale and sold out at Bestbuy, and not that good at upscaling.

Depends on how long you want to use it. If only a few years before upgrading to 4k, get something cheap I guess. It will still look better than an old 720p set. If you want it to last 10 years, don't skimp on price. The perfect tv doesn't exist anyway. I paid CAD 4500 for a top of the line 52" 1080p set in 2006. (Sharp Aquos LC52D62U) It still works pretty well, great color still, except it has developed horizontal striping which shows up with dimm smooth gradient material. Journey looks terrible on it at times. It is on most time of the day since 2006 though.
I could have bought a $1500 tv every 3 years instead with maybe better results, hard to tell. I wouldn't have had 52" in 2006 though.

Hm... Okay! Thanks for the advice!

spemanig said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I owned an HDTV set in 2002... it was pure shit by the time HD was the dominant format. The same will happen to you if you buy a 4K TV in 2016. Wait until 4K is dominant, then get one. They will be much, much better... and cheaper.

Hmmm. Well if so many people think it's a bad idea, then I'll definitely hold off on 4K until later.

Any recommendations on a good 1080p TV at like 55in or so?

back in February I bought a 50" Vizio E-Series Smart TV for $450 and i think its a really good TV.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

back in February I bought a 50" Vizio E-Series Smart TV for $450 and i think its a really good TV.

Ooooo sounds perfect for me! I'll look into that!

Here is the tv that I ended up getting as an alternative to a smaller pc monitor. Obviously I'm using it as a monitor and to that end have been utilizing it primarily to run pc games at 2160p. Despite being a tv, after some tweaking of the tv settings, the picture looks way better than the older but far more expensive 1080p tv that we have. The only issue that I have come across, again playing on the pc, is having to adjust game resolutions in a windowed mode at times to get it to display properly. I'm assuming it has something to do with this being a tv and not a dedicated pc monitor but some older games will boot straight to a black screen if I try to load them in fullscreen mode. It's a minor inconvenience for me personally though it may be a bigger issue for other people. I've also found that I like playing my games in at the 4k resolution more than 1080p even if that means adjusting the other graphics settings lower to get the right framerate. I've played with both resolutions and going between high and ultra settings but the higher resolution to me makes the most difference; most bang for any lost framerates. So I can definitely tell a difference myself.

Granted, this is more of a budget 4k tv so there will certainly be more expensive uhd models that look better now. Like I said, it still made a very noticeable difference to me over a fairly pricey 1080p model. My wife even commented on how much better the inexpensive tv looked compared to the other one. Besides, if you decide to upgrade again in a few years to a higher end uhd tv, then you won't be out as much :) Something to look at least look at if it falls within your budget range.

http://www.vizio.com/m43c1.html

I picked it up from bestbuy for just under $500 USD.

Nintation360 said:

I'm getting a new tv REALLY soon. But sometimes I think its not worth it and im wasting my money lol. I currently own a 32 inch 720p tv. I want an upgrade to a 32 inch 1080p TV so I can fully enjoy the FULL resolution of the PS4. This is the TV Im planning on getting

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/vizio-vizio-32-1080p-hd-120hz-led-smart-tv-e32-c1-e32-c1/10367966.aspx?path=9eb9353b8c28b038d76258caa3103828en02

Is it worth upgrading? If you find a better tv around that price let me know!  

I am also willing to go up to 42 inches if  you find a good tv deal! 

If you can I would seriously consider getting a 4K TV and a larger TV.

At 32 is when you just barely start to see a differeance with 1080P.  It is there, but  a 52" is so much better.  And a 4K 52" looks better than a 52" 1080p, eventhough it has to be upscaled by the TV.  All 4K TV's can do that.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!