By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 'Captain America: Civil War' Review Thread - 90% RT/75 MC score - WW BO = $991.0M/DOM = $314.2M

DakonBlackblade said:

Lawlight said:

Pre-screening. So events set up by Disney. Not sure how reliable these are.

Disney held at least two of these screenings for liek 200 members of the press each. You are insinuating Disney bought IGN, Colider, The Hollywood Reporter, USA Today, Fox, Forbes, Variety etc. These are good reviews from critics they are not fan reactions like most of the pre-screenings reactions we get from other movies.

Disney bought their good graces, yes. You know something is wrong when movies from a studio is consistently liked more by critics than the general audience. The latter is supposed to be more forgiving and critics more critical.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
DakonBlackblade said:

Disney held at least two of these screenings for liek 200 members of the press each. You are insinuating Disney bought IGN, Colider, The Hollywood Reporter, USA Today, Fox, Forbes, Variety etc. These are good reviews from critics they are not fan reactions like most of the pre-screenings reactions we get from other movies.

Disney bought their good graces, yes. You know something is wrong when movies from a studio is consistently liked more by critics than the general audience. The latter is supposed to be more forgiving and critics more critical.

WB had press screenings for BvS as well. Many of the same critics that saw BvS early saw Civil War early. Collider is an example of one of them. 

Darc Requiem said:
Lawlight said:

WB had press screenings for BvS as well. Many of the same critics that saw BvS early saw Civil War early. Collider is an example of one of them. 

It wasn't as early and we don't know what the conditions were for each screenings. A critic having one bad experience with a studio is enough to make him/her bias. Personally, the only way I can see critics recommending some of those Disney movies is the later treating them very well somehow.

I was going to watch it regardless of reviews but glad it's getting good scores :) loved winter soldier and the first one

Was never big into either Marvel or DC, though I still prefer the former. I may look into it sometime.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

Another review came up so it's 16 out of 16 so far. Still average score of 8.8 on RT. These will trickle in slowly leading into the international releases first.

So tracking at the moment seems to be looking at a massive $200+ Million opening. This looks another perfect storm scenario.

http://heroichollywood.com/captain-america-civil-war-box-tracking-report-3-weeks-massive/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/04/14/review-captain-america-civil-war-wins-crown-for-best-pure-superhero-movie/#3848324c137a

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
Dirtybynature said:

Lool well techincally I'm seeing it in 16 days. Still long enough D:

This is the golden age of Comicbook movies afterall. There's no stopping this train. I'll be seeing all 6 CB movies this year. It has to be truly bad like the latest FF movie for me not to see it.

By FF you mean Fantastic Four, right?  Just checking

Yeah lool. Sorry, not to be confused with Fast and Furious.

PS4/PS3/PC/3DS Owner (Will buy a Switch when mainline Pokemon game is released)

A few random tweets from people that attended the fan screenings a couple hours ago.

Sorry I don't know how to embed these properly or videos for that matter. There's a reason I'm averaging 0 posts a day :/

PS4/PS3/PC/3DS Owner (Will buy a Switch when mainline Pokemon game is released)

16 reviews and still 100%. That's pretty amazing. I expect it will end up in the low 90s but that's still going to be awesome.

At the moment the first Iron Man movie still has the best RT score with 94%, and that includes the TV shows. Can Cap beat Iron Man finally, with Iron Man's help?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I'm a big Marvel fan but not a fanboy.  There's a difference.  When something is terrible, I'll admit it.  But upon re-watching the entire MCU over the last few weeks, I noticed that some of the internet assumptions are flat out wrong.  For example, Ironman 2 and 3 are not bad films; far from it.  If you want to read on, I'll defend especially IM2 but also IM3.

I'll grant they're not great films, but to say they’re bad is to put them in the Fantastic Four or Green Lantern level. They're not even close to this. But IM2 has a lot going for it as it starts to build the MCU and introduces and develops a whole lot of characters.  We have the nicely placed intro of SHIELD and Nick Fury and The Black Widow.  We have further development of War Machine in a big way.  We have the beginnings of the government concern over Superheroes and the threat of Stark technology proliferating around the world.  Yes the villains of Whiplash and Justin Hammer were a bit weak, but not bad.  Marvel doesn't need to emphasize the villains.  I finally accepted that MCU villains are just a stepping stone for the heroes. The emphasis is usually on the characters' internal and relational problems to overcome.  

The glue that holds IM2 together and makes it work well is Stark's clear understanding that he's dying slowly of poisoning.  To overcome this problem, with the help of Fury, he cracks the mystery of a new ARC reactor not based upon the poisonous Palladium but on clues left by his long-decease father.  Stark eventually creates a new element. In the end, with help from Rhodey, he beats the drone-bots and Whiplash.  He seems to be doing better at the end of the film with a new formal relationship to SHIELD and romance with Pepper.  Does the plot of IM2 have some holes?  Of course, all movies, especially CB ones do.  But the holes are reasonable imo.  The character of Tony Stark and Ironman are perhaps the most feasible compared to other CB heroes-- a rich guy with psychological issues in a high-tech mech suit.

If you watch IM1 through IM3 in succession, it flows nicely.  IM2 picks up directly after the last scene of IM1 where Stark says, "I am Ironman."  The Ironman trilogy works precisely because of the Stark character development-- a guy who has incredible wealth, power, knowledge, but who becomes even more self-centered, insecure, paranoid and even prone to panic attacks by IM3.  With a quick narration intro by RDJ himself, IM3 starts out great especially with the initial threat of The Mandarin. The complaints about IM3 come down to the bait and switch of the real Mandarin for an imposter; the one dimensional character of the villain Killian and his cohorts; and Pepper Potts mutating into the OP savior at the end with the Extremis injection.  I admit that these are problematic for the plot, but not a deal breaker for me.  

The plot still holds together and flows well if you look at it from the perspective of Tony Stark trying to solve the mystery of the Mandarin and take him down.  The action sequences are fantastic-- saving a bunch of people falling out of bombed plane, and the ending with all of the fast motion of the robotic Ironman suits as Stark and Rhodey (Iron Patriot) save the President of the United States.  At the end, Stark gets his head and heart (literally) together and start living a life with less fear and reliance on his artificial Ironman suits after he blows, presumably, most of them up.  When it's all said and done, I challenge all you naysayers to give the Ironman trilogy another shot.  It's not bad but good, if not even great.

LOTR finally won a best picture Oscar for fantasy movies. Can Civil War win a best picture for superhero movies? Personally I don't thing academy voters (or the HFP for Golden Globes) is quite ready to give people prancing around in Spandex / Lycra a best picture award. But I think if Disney/Marvel can keep producing real gems from time to time it could happen before the MCU runs out of steam.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix