By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Verified NeoGAF member has posted a bunch of NX leaks. Now updated with gimmicks, Luigi's Mansion and other stuff

I find it surprising that so many people know how the hardware is despite Nintendo not giving away dev kits, they must have some great crystal balls!

I don't believe half of this new batch of rumors.

Soundwave said:
$400 is a lot, Nintendo should press AMD to give it to them for $350 and push on their LCD providers too.

Nintendo can't really press AMD much, because they are their only option. IBM doesn't make GPUs and Nvidia is not only more expensive than AMD, but they have left a bad reputation in their past console contributions.

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

It could literally just be a second GPU or something, much like a streamlined version of Crossfire setups on PC. 

If you have a home NX maybe SCD upgrades the graphics to 2K-4K resolution. 

If you have a portable NX, maybe buying a SCD upgrades the system to home NX quality so you don't neccessarily have to buy the console. 

...This sounds like science fiction. I'm going to learn what this is more because I clearly don't understand this thing enough.

The SCD could be a variation of AMD's XConnect, which allows laptops to use desktop graphic cards through an enclosure. The key point for that to work is to have a connexion with enough bandwidth to allow both devices to "talk" to each other without problems (like latency), and that kind of connexion is Thunderbolt 3/USB-Type C.

So if NX has a USB-Type C connector, then it may have a SCD, but if it doesn't, I won't count on it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I hope it's almost 2 times more powerful than PS4, otherwise no purchase.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

JEMC said:

I find it surprising that so many people know how the hardware is despite Nintendo not giving away dev kits, they must have some great crystal balls!

I don't believe half of this new batch of rumors.

Soundwave said:
$400 is a lot, Nintendo should press AMD to give it to them for $350 and push on their LCD providers too.

Nintendo can't really press AMD much, because they are their only option. IBM doesn't make GPUs and Nvidia is not only more expensive than AMD, but they have left a bad reputation in their past console contributions.

spemanig said:

...This sounds like science fiction. I'm going to learn what this is more because I clearly don't understand this thing enough.

The SCD could be a variation of AMD's XConnect, which allows laptops to use desktop graphic cards through an enclosure. The key point for that to work is to have a connexion with enough bandwidth to allow both devices to "talk" to each other without problems (like latency), and that kind of connexion is Thunderbolt 3/USB-Type C.

So if NX has a USB-Type C connector, then it may have a SCD, but if it doesn't, I won't count on it.

I dunno I would press AMD pretty hard, and the poster 10k on NeoGaf actually kinda speculated the same thing ... 

Nintendo may have put the heat to AMD to let them use the 14nm Polaris and AMD make even cover a certain overage on yields (since 14nm is a new process). 

BUT the trade off with that is Nintendo have given AMD the contract for the NX portable too and they may have offered it to AMD as an all or nothing deal, as in you cut us a break on the tech, and we'll give you two contracts here. 

Because if Nintendo wanted to go this whole unified platform route, I have zero doubt whatsoever that mobile vendors like PowerVR (supplier of Apple's iPhone/iPad processors and the PSVita GPU) and Qualcomm (makers of the Snapdragon chips for Android phones/tablets) would have been all over Nintendo particularily for the portable side. 

And since Nintendo would need a unified chip architecture to have cross compatibility of games, going with say PowerVR or Qualcomm would mean bye bye AMD. 

Even with a sluggish generation this cycle, the 3DS + Wii U will still sell about 85 million units ... which is still enough to get a lot of interest. So no I don't think AMD was their only choice. 

I suspect Nintendo learned some very bitter lessons on component costs with the Wii U and 3DS burning them badly at times, this time I suspect they were much more aggresive on component pricing. 

Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

I dunno I would press AMD pretty hard, and the poster 10k on NeoGaf actually kinda speculated the same thing ... 

Nintendo may have put the heat to AMD to let them use the 14nm Polaris and AMD make even cover a certain overage on yields (since 14nm is a new process). 

BUT the trade off with that is Nintendo have given AMD the contract for the NX portable too and they may have offered it to AMD as an all or nothing deal, as in you cut us a break on the tech, and we'll give you two contracts here. 

Because if Nintendo wanted to go this whole unified platform route, I have zero doubt whatsoever that mobile vendors like PowerVR (supplier of Apple's iPhone/iPad processors and the PSVita GPU) and Qualcomm (makers of the Snapdragon chips for Android phones/tablets) would have been all over Nintendo particularily for the portable side. 

And since Nintendo would need a unified chip architecture to have cross compatibility of games, going with say PowerVR or Qualcomm would mean bye bye AMD. 

Even with a sluggish generation this cycle, the 3DS + Wii U will still sell about 85 million units ... which is still enough to get a lot of interest. So no I don't think AMD was their only choice. 

I suspect Nintendo learned some very bitter lessons on component costs with the Wii U and 3DS burning them badly at times, this time I suspect they were much more aggresive on component pricing. 

Of couse they pressed AMD to try to get a better deal, but they can't really press too much because both Nintendo and AMD know that Nintendo has no other viable option except them. ARM is not good enough for a home console. 

Also, I would put that 14nm Polaris rumor on hold because it's too surprising and contradicts his other info:

+The NX will use a custom Polaris-like GPU. Likely will be on a FinFET 14nm fabrication node. The source told me it's on the same architecture with heavy customizations of course . It will contain the feature set of Polaris. It is "marginally better than the PS4" and theoretically could be "2x the power of PS4 GPU". I asked about PS4K being rumored to have a gpu 2x as powerful as the OG PS4 and how the theoretical performance of the NX would be and was told "Theoretically it could be close to the PS4K rumored specs". Of course, we know nothing of Polaris or the PS4K specs, but he gave that metric.

+Most dev kits won't be given until Nintendo formally reveals the NX. As my previous post indicated, Nintendo is none too happy with the leaks and is keeping things on lockdown. Outside of close partners and internal teams, most devs are using SDK's until the NX reveal. Not a big deal, but I was told specs are pretty much final as of now, and the May update will likely be for the final spec sheet and not target specs.

Leaving the discrepancy between the GPU being "marginally better" to be "2x the power of PS4 GPU" (and in the same sentence!) aside, how does so many people know that NX will use not only a Polaris chip, but also a 14nm chip if so little people have actual dev kits? Software Development Kits don't show that kind of info.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Soundwave said:

Of couse they pressed AMD to try to get a better deal, but they can't really press too much because both Nintendo and AMD know that Nintendo has no other viable option except them. ARM is not good enough for a home console. 

Also, I would put that 14nm Polaris rumor on hold because it's too surprising and contradicts his other info:

+The NX will use a custom Polaris-like GPU. Likely will be on a FinFET 14nm fabrication node. The source told me it's on the same architecture with heavy customizations of course . It will contain the feature set of Polaris. It is "marginally better than the PS4" and theoretically could be "2x the power of PS4 GPU". I asked about PS4K being rumored to have a gpu 2x as powerful as the OG PS4 and how the theoretical performance of the NX would be and was told "Theoretically it could be close to the PS4K rumored specs". Of course, we know nothing of Polaris or the PS4K specs, but he gave that metric.

+Most dev kits won't be given until Nintendo formally reveals the NX. As my previous post indicated, Nintendo is none too happy with the leaks and is keeping things on lockdown. Outside of close partners and internal teams, most devs are using SDK's until the NX reveal. Not a big deal, but I was told specs are pretty much final as of now, and the May update will likely be for the final spec sheet and not target specs.

Leaving the discrepancy between the GPU being "marginally better" to be "2x the power of PS4 GPU" (and in the same sentence!) aside, how does so many people know that NX will use not only a Polaris chip, but also a 14nm chip if so little people have actual dev kits? Software Development Kits don't show that kind of info.

I think it's Polaris for the other reasoning that I just can't see Nintendo releasing a 100 watt+ console, and that's what you'd be looking at with a 28nm AMD GPU above a PS4. They're too obsessed with low power consumption, the moment they saw Arctic Islands/Polaris they probably fell head over heels. 

I actually think PowerVR would have been a good vendor for Nintendo. They are actively looking for a console maker too and the performance per watt they're getting out of their Apple GPUs is pretty astounding. The GT7900 is 800 GFLOPS and can scale even beyond that based on vendor needs, they're hoping to get that chip into micro-consoles. 

AMD probably bent over backwards and said OK when presented with the golden apple of being able to supply for the Nintendo portable. 

AMD has been basically locked out of mobile, if they can supply the portable NX with chips, that at least gets their foot in that door and would be a nice feature in their cap above Nvidia that's still struggling to get vendors for their Tegra X1. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

I think it's Polaris for the other reasoning that I just can't see Nintendo releasing a 100 watt+ console, and that's what you'd be looking at with a 28nm AMD GPU above a PS4. 

I actually think PowerVR would have been a good vendor for Nintendo. They are actively looking for a console maker too and the performance per watt they're getting out of their Apple GPUs is pretty astounding. The GT7900 is 800 GFLOPS and can scale even beyond that based on vendor needs, they're hoping to get that chip into micro-consoles. 

AMD probably bent over backwards and said OK when presented with the golden apple of being able to supply for the Nintendo portable. 

AMD has been basically locked out of mobile, if they can supply the portable NX with chips, that at least gets their foot in that door and would be a nice feature in their cap above Nvidia that's still struggling to get vendors for their Tegra X1. 

A +100W console would be hard to imagine with the "old" Nintendo of small consoles, but we don't know if part of their alleged change has to do with this approach.

I don't know for how long has PowerVR had that chip you mention, but we knew that AMD had won a console design since the end of 2014, and given what was happening with PS4 and X1, it was quite clear that it was going to be a Nintendo console/handheld.

JEMC said:
Soundwave said:

I think it's Polaris for the other reasoning that I just can't see Nintendo releasing a 100 watt+ console, and that's what you'd be looking at with a 28nm AMD GPU above a PS4. 

A +100W console would be hard to imagine with the "old" Nintendo of small consoles, but we don't know if part of their alleged change has to do with this approach.

I don't know for how long has PowerVR had that chip you mention, but we knew that AMD had won a console design since the end of 2014, and given what was happening with PS4 and X1, it was quite clear that it was going to be a Nintendo console/handheld.

The same head designer of the Wii U is still heading up the NX, so I doubt a giant 100 watt console would be permitted. 

It could simply also mean that NX is only maybe launching in the West this year, or will have a more slower roll out initially until yields get better, but the sooner you get that ball rolling the sooner your userbase grows. 

I suspect what's happened is that the portable NX is the real key to everything here, but in order to have a portable powerful enough to be viable cross-platform device to a modern home console ... Nintendo will have to wait until 2017 to release that at the price they want, with the yields they want. 

If Nintendo just wanted to slap together a standard next-gen portable, something easily 3-4x the Vita (ala the Apple 8X or A9 chip), that would be easy enough to release this year. I think they are swinging for the fences this time out and going balls to the wall with this cross platform ideal, and that only works as much as the portable will allow. 

But that's why likely the console seems to be on the front burner ... it's easier to make a console, even a powerful one, that just has to plug into a wall and has active cooling. 

Likely neither AMD or Nintendo were really keen on going elsewhere. AMD still will remember the Wii and they are smart enough to see how well Nintendo portables sell, giving a little on the console initially to gain the portable contract is a fair trade off. 

Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

The same head designer of the Wii U is still heading up the NX, so I doubt a giant 100 watt console would be permitted. 

It could simply also mean that NX is only maybe launching in the West this year, or will have a more slower roll out initially until yields get better, but the sooner you get that ball rolling the sooner your userbase grows. 

I suspect what's happened is that the portable NX is the real key to everything here, but in order to have a portable powerful enough to be viable cross-platform device to a modern home console ... Nintendo will have to wait until 2017 to release that at the price they want, with the yields they want. 

If Nintendo just wanted to slap together a standard next-gen portable, something easily 3-4x the Vita (ala the Apple 8X or A9 chip), that would be easy enough to release this year. I think they are swinging for the fences this time out and going balls to the wall with this cross platform ideal, and that only works as much as the portable will allow. 

But that's why likely the console seems to be on the front burner ... it's easier to make a console, even a powerful one, that just has to plug into a wall and has active cooling. 

Likely neither AMD or Nintendo were really keen on going elsewhere. AMD still will remember the Wii and they are smart enough to see how well Nintendo portables sell, giving a little on the console initially to gain the portable contract is a fair trade off. 

The designer works under the needs and instructions set to him. If Nintendo asks for a small and low power console for a certain budget, that's what he will design. If he's given a bigger more headroom for a bigger and more powerful console, that's what he will design.

A staggered launch could be possible although it's not the best strategy, specially if there's a several months delay between regions.

In any case, E3 is just two months away! We'll get more and reliable info soon.

JEMC said:
Soundwave said:

The designer works under the needs and instructions set to him. If Nintendo asks for a small and low power console for a certain budget, that's what he will design. If he's given a bigger more headroom for a bigger and more powerful console, that's what he will design.

A staggered launch could be possible although it's not the best strategy, specially if there's a several months delay between regions.

In any case, E3 is just two months away! We'll get more and reliable info soon.

Well I think it's more of a business decision, these decisions are made by the suits, not designers. AMD likely crunched the numbers even in the scenario where they eat a bit more early on than they would normally versus the pro of having portable + console Nintendo business and what they project that to net them over the course of the next 5-6 years. 

Soundwave said:
spemanig said:

Interesting...

I don't know. I really have to see how something like this would be implemented. I wonder if something like this could provide data. Is there anything about providing an internet connection for their gaming platforms through this in the patent?

I don't think it's all that mindblowing, it's extra horsepower, an add-on, a (hopefully) much more elegant 32X type of thing, but with modern cloud computing it can share horsepower via the cloud when/if you're not utilizing it. 

This is probably sensible so that the scenario of "little brother wants to play NX, but NX power is being utilized by John Q 500 miles away" ... the supplemental device will share extra horsepower so the main machine is always available to its primary user(s). 

Likely I'm guessing the SCD was envisioned as the dock for the mobile NX model(s) as well so that it can play the same games at full fidelity on the TV, but they probably looked at it and said "hey why not allow the main console to utilize this too? Yeah lets patent that", type of thing. 

Um, yes it is mind blowing. You're not understanding what this thing is if you're not. A product like this, from what the patent is describing, would easily become the largest cloud network on the planet, except all that computational power, I'm talking the equivlent of thousands of super computers, could be dedicated NX platforms. That's massive.

What the patent is describing is a network of these things, which means that the more people who buy them, the more powerful the network becomes, and Nintendo would be in charge of it. You are thinking WAY smaller than the patent is. That's why I'm asking if it can provide internet.