By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Verified NeoGAF member has posted a bunch of NX leaks. Now updated with gimmicks, Luigi's Mansion and other stuff

spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

Remember the patent for the Supplemental Computing Device? If I remember correctly, it stated the potential to license out your SCD to others and get reimbursed. If any NX device can act as an SCD than that could their way of shaking up hardware pricing.

It would sorta be the hardware version of My Nintendo since games are still the same price, you just accumulate points by purchasing games.

Refresh my memory - what is an SCD?

Here's a great explanation of what it is and what it could be used for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4e2otLh8jw

Around the Network

I don't get why NEOGAF is a credible source these days, to the point that news articles reference them. From what I remember, NEOGAF is just another gaming forum.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

zorg1000 said:

Supplemental Computing Device

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/intriguing_nintendo_patent_points_to_supplemental_computing_device_and_cloud_resources_for_a_gaming_system

Oh, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize you were just shortening it.

I can't imagine how licensing hardware out would even work.

spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/intriguing_nintendo_patent_points_to_supplemental_computing_device_and_cloud_resources_for_a_gaming_system

It could literally just be a second GPU or something, much like a streamlined version of Crossfire setups on PC. 

If you have a home NX maybe SCD upgrades the graphics to 2K-4K resolution. 

If you have a portable NX, maybe buying a SCD upgrades the system to home NX quality so you don't neccessarily have to buy the console. 

zorg1000 said:

well im assuming if they were to go that route than your device would be somehow be deactivated if you didnt pay, just like your cable/internet/phone/utilities get shut off when you dont pay.

They wouldn't just do that. They would send it to collections and it would ruin your credit. Being afraid that people wouldn't pay wouldn't stop them from subsidizing. This is the real world lol there are severe consequences in real life for not paying bills. You sign a contract when you opt into these kinds of payment plans. Their asses would be well covered.

Around the Network
Raze said:

I don't get why NEOGAF is a credible source these days, to the point that news articles reference them. From what I remember, NEOGAF is just another gaming forum.

It's not though.

Soundwave said:

It could literally just be a second GPU or something, much like a streamlined version of Crossfire setups on PC. 

If you have a home NX maybe SCD upgrades the graphics to 2K-4K resolution. 

If you have a portable NX, maybe buying a SCD upgrades the system to home NX quality so you don't neccessarily have to buy the console. 

...This sounds like science fiction. I'm going to learn what this is more because I clearly don't understand this thing enough.

spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

well i believe it mentioned each SCD could work like a local cloud, so whenever someone is in range of your SCD than their device will have those extra visual/performance upgrades. it could be as simple as gaining My Nintendo points based on how often your SCD is used by others.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

spemanig said:

zorg1000 said:

well im assuming if they were to go that route than your device would be somehow be deactivated if you didnt pay, just like your cable/internet/phone/utilities get shut off when you dont pay.

They wouldn't just do that. They would send it to collections and it would ruin your credit. Being afraid that people wouldn't pay wouldn't stop them from subsidizing. This is the real world lol there are severe consequences in real life for not paying bills. You sign a contract when you opt into these kinds of payment plans. Their asses would be well covered.

well ya obviously it would be sent to collections and it would affect your credit but its not like people dont back out on contracts all the time, Nintendo would still be losing money on hardware if people did that.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

*If* they do use a screen controller and I'm still not 100% sold they will, maybe that patent (and subsequent fakes based on said patent) wasn't soooo far off. The Game Informer editor did say he was told of a controller with no face buttons.

Imagine a free form LCD display "slab" basically, that can attach plastic transparent overlays on top. You could have a Pro Controller style button layout. A GameCube layout. An N64 layout.

Or even beyond that a very different/new controller layout. Plastic overlays would only cost like $1-$2 a pop to mass produce. Nintendo could ship the NX with a standard Pro Controller style overlay, but also with a more unique setup with something new perhaps that interfaces with a touch panel somehow.

Just a thought though.