By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People need to stop hyping the NX, it will lead to disappointment.

I am a ...

Nintendo fan and will buy, no matter what. 148 49.66%

Nintendo fan and won't buy, I'm done. 41 13.76%

Nintendo fan, will only b... 28 9.40%

Outsider, Will buy no matter what. 19 6.38%

Outsider, will only buy i... 49 16.44%

Outsider, will only buy i... 13 4.36%

Total:298
zorg1000 said:
naruball said:

The thing is a lot of people are in denial. They blame marketing, the name of a console, a bad launch and all sorts of insignificant things when xb1 showed that that's not enough for a console to sell well.

When retailers literally have to put up signs explaining that Wii & Wii U are different devices with different games than it is undeniable that the marketing/name/design of the console were flawed. Consumers not knowing what your product is isnt an insignificant thing.

Not my point. My point was that if the consumer is actually interested in a product, they will buy it no matter what (the name, etc). The xb1 clearly proved that. It seems that no that many people were interested in wiiu since those signs didn't help that much, now did they? What seems to be the case is that people would ask clerks what the hell wiiu was, not that they had an interest in buying one after finding out.

Around the Network
naruball said:
zorg1000 said:

what exactly did it change?

People's expectations from an E3. It showed that nothing is impossible. Just when everyone thought there was no way Shenmue 3 will ever be made or that the Last Guardian would ever be released, or that SE would ever have enough money to make FFVIIR, all of them were announced together. So, it gives hope to gamers that even their wildist gaming fantasy can become a reality.

it also means people will have unrealistic expectations going forward.

"Man, E3 sucked this year!!! We didn't get Half-Life 3, Beyond Good & Evil 2 or StarTropics reboot."

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
naruball said:

People's expectations from an E3. It showed that nothing is impossible. Just when everyone thought there was no way Shenmue 3 will ever be made or that the Last Guardian would ever be released, or that SE would ever have enough money to make FFVIIR, all of them were announced together. So, it gives hope to gamers that even their wildist gaming fantasy can become a reality.

it also means people will have unrealistic expectations going forward.

"Man, E3 sucked this year!!! We didn't get Half-Life 3, Beyond Good & Evil 2 or StarTropics reboot."

Good point, actually. Can't wait for all the moaning!

naruball said:
zorg1000 said:

When retailers literally have to put up signs explaining that Wii & Wii U are different devices with different games than it is undeniable that the marketing/name/design of the console were flawed. Consumers not knowing what your product is isnt an insignificant thing.

Not my point. My point was that if the consumer is actually interested in a product, they will buy it no matter what (the name, etc). The xb1 clearly proved that. It seems that no that many people were interested in wiiu since those signs didn't help that much, now did they? What seems to be the case is that people would ask clerks what the hell wiiu was, not that they had an interest in buying one after finding out.

XB1 doesnt prove anything, Microsoft dropped  Kinect, reduced the price by about 1/3 within a year while also having further temporary discounts, they have constant marketing along with timed exclusives/exclusive marketing/exclusive bundles from many of the biggest games on the market and it has a constant stream of software.

If Nintendo dropped the Gamepad, cut the official price of Wii U to $199 within a year, had a constant stream of software, year round advertising and exclusive marketing/bundles for games like Madden, FIFA, Fallout, Division than it would certainly be doing much better.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
naruball said:

XB1 doesnt prove anything, Microsoft dropped  Kinect, reduced the price by about 1/3 within a year while also having further temporary discounts, they have constant marketing along with timed exclusives/exclusive marketing/exclusive bundles from many of the biggest games on the market and it has a constant stream of software.

If Nintendo dropped the Gamepad, cut the official price of Wii U to $199 within a year, had a constant stream of software, year round advertising and exclusive marketing/bundles for games like Madden, FIFA, Fallout, Division than it would certainly be doing much better.

Yes it does. It did well from the very beginning. Before dropping kinect and before the price cut. Obviously people who had an xb360 were happy enough with it to buy its successor. The same can't be said about wii, except for the hardcore fans who would buy the next ninty console no matter what.

You're still missing my point. Yes, Ninty could have done all that but didn't. My point is that a bad name, a bad launch and a bad peripheral do not stop a console from selling well. That's what xb1 proved. It's time people stopped blaming the name for the failure of a console that most people didn't want in the first place. Same with psvita which is my favourite console. Had people enjoyed psp enough they would find out what its successor is called. The name wasn't the reason why both wiiu and psvita didn't do well.

Around the Network
naruball said:
zorg1000 said:

Yes it does. It did well from the very beginning. Before dropping kinect and before the price cut. Obviously people who had an xb360 were happy enough with it to buy its successor. The same can't be said about wii, except for the hardcore fans who would buy the next ninty console no matter what.

You're still missing my point. Yes, Ninty could have done all that but didn't. My point is that a bad name, a bad launch and a bad peripheral do not stop a console from selling well. That's what xb1 proved. It's time people stopped blaming the name for the failure of a console that most people didn't want in the first place. Same with psvita which is my favourite console. Had people enjoyed psp enough they would find out what its successor is called. The name wasn't the reason why both wiiu and psvita didn't do well.

the problem is that you are talking about these things in isolation rather than as a collective whole, their isnt one single reason why Wii U isnt selling well, its a combination of things acting together and Nintendo not fully committing to changing these things in fear of losing money.

zorg1000 said:
naruball said:

the problem is that you are talking about these things in isolation rather than as a collective whole, their isnt one single reason why Wii U isnt selling well, its a combination of things acting together and Nintendo not fully committing to changing these things in fear of losing money.

This was my point all along!

"It didn't sell well because of the stupid name". No, xb1 proves that shoudln't have stopped it if everything else was great.

"The stupid unnecessary tablet...". While everyone loved Kinect?

"Had there been a price cut". Xb1 sold well before the price cut.

I stand by my point. Had people (the masses/general public) had an interest in the console, they would have found out its name and bought it even if the price wasn't great. They didn't.

Asking people to stop speculating about new hardware is like sticking your hand out in front of an oncoming train to try and stop it. Ain't happening.

I'm hyped about NX because I know it'll be a totally new concept rather than a beefed up last gen console. I love PlayStation. I'm on it every day. But when a new console is teased, I'm never wondering what they're gonna do because it's a given. Use same controller scheme, more power, and that's basically it. With Nintendo, you'll never know what they heck they're making. And that element of surprise adds to the hype. Which is why the PS 4.5 or 4k rumors haven't taken off like NX rumors. It's like a plot twist in a good book. You don't expect them and they can end up good or bad. NX might be utter crap but it will most likely be a new idea which is always a plus in my book.

IT won t matter as the NX is actually a 3D printer that only print s Amiibo -  everytime an Amiibo is printed a royalty is paid direct to Nintendo via downlode credit card-    Of course there will still be shortages of certain digital lic s for specific Amiibo characters -   then you take the amiibo to open a new game which will also be paid for via credit card downlode