By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, and Jak 4

During the Playstation era, Naughty Dog created Crash Bandicoot, Sony's unofficial mascot for the Playstation. It was one of, if not, the finest platformer for the Playstation. Shortly after the Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Insomniac created Spyro the Dragon. Although not as popular as Crash Bandicoot, the franchise was also one of Playstation's finest platformers.

However, before the end of the Playstation era, Naughty Dog sold Crash Bandicoot to a third party developer, and Insomniac did the same with Spyro the Dragon. Unfortunately, the newer Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro the Dragon games, were never as good as their predecessors.

To replace Crash Bandicoot, Naughty Dog created Jak and Daxter, and to replace Spyro the Dragon, Insomniac created Ratchet and Clank. Both franchises were fantastic platformers for the Playstation 2. Although they weren't as popular as Crash Bandicoot, or Spyro the Dragon, they were still very popular franchises, even to this day.

Now that the Playstation 3 is out, have you ever wondered if Naughty Dog would sell off Jak and Daxter to a third party developer, just as they did with Crash Bandicoot, before the Playstation 2? Could history repeat itself? If this is the case, would Jak and Daxter be as good, if developed by a third party developer, as its predecessors? Insomniac has confirmed that they are developing Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction. Whether Insomniac will continue making Ratchet and Clank games after the fifth title to the series isn't confirmed. Sure, they might sell the franchise off, just like Spyro the Dragon, since anything could happen, but at the moment, it looks like they are holding on to the franchise. However, it is unconfirmed if Naughty Dog will be developing the new Jak 4 game, if there is to be one. Since they are working on a new project, they might sell the franchise to a third party developer. If they do, their success may decrease, just like Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro the Dragon, after they were sold to third party developers.

I personally do not believe it will happen, but the truth is, anything could happen. Crash and Spyro were sold off to their doom before the Playstation 2 era. Jak and Ratchet could have been sold off to their doom before the Playstation 3 era, thus history could have been repeated, but thankfully, at least Insomniac will be developing the fifth title of the Ratchet and Clank series, but it is still unknown if Naughty Dog will continue to develop more Jak and Daxter games.

Daxter, the latest game in the Jak and Daxter Universe, was not developed by Naughty Dog. In fact, it was developed by a third party developer.

Do any of you think that Insomniac may sell Ratchet and Clank Future, in the future, much like the fate of Spyro the Dragon? Do any of you think that Naughty Dog may pass their franchise to a third party developer, who may dwindle its success, such as Crash Bandicoot?

Post your opinions in this thread. Remember, these are only predictions. There is nothing that confirms that history with Naughty Dog, and Insomniac may repeat itself, but the discussion on this prediction leaves an interesting topic to talk about.

Around the Network

i have noticed it too, but you aren't watching it close enough.

crash and spyro were  made by naughty dog and insomniac (love them both), but OWNED by universal.  so when crash and spyro came to ps2 they were made by other developers.  jak and daxter and ratchet and clank are owned by sony, but still developed by their studios (hopefully jak will be).  this means that they will both be great series.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

LOL "Rachat bad?"

Please do everyone a favor and STOP making threads, especially since you made similar one like this already.

Sure you can make then since they are anti sony and the mods wont ever close it but damn think about whats bothering you about crash/jak/sony and make one and ONLY one thread about it.

And NO they wont get rid of them, they sold Crash and Insomniacs got rid of Spyro between generation.  Since they are alredy making the PS3 versions theres no reason to get rid of them. 

Notice the question mark in "Ratchet bad?" which means that it might not be as good as its predecessors if Insomniac sold the franchise off to a third party developer, in the Playstation 3 era, after the game Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, since that game has been confirmed that it is being developed by Insomniac.

I made no other thread, similar to this one.

a.l.e.x59 said:
Remember Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, and Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly?

Crash was the best on the PS1, but when he moved to the PS2, he sucked. Same with Spyro. When he moved to the PS2, he sucked.

Now, Jak and Ratchet are moving to the PS3. There is a chance that they might suck, just like Crash and Spyro did when they moved to teh PS2. Be wary of these games. Sony has been screwing up lately. They ruined Crash and Spyro, they could ruin Jak and Ratchet. I hope they don't. I really do. But just be wary of it.

As long as they don't throw them away to third party developers, they should be good.

PS1: Crash good. Spyro good.
PS2: Crash bad. Spyro bad. Ratchet good. Jak good.
PS3: Ratchet bad? Jak bad? Drake's Fortune good? Super Mouse good?

Sony might throw the two franchises away after Tools of Destruction, and Jak 4. Maybe, it's not confirmed. They've done it before.

If they do throw them away, Naughty Dog has that new franchise. Drake's Fortune or something? I don't have high hopes for it, though. Naughty Dog is good with platformers, but might not be good with first person shooters. And Insomniac... Well... Maybe they'll make a new franchise called Super Mouse or something.

PS: I just threw the Super Mouse thingy in there. Insomniac usually make platformers based on animal mascots.

Wow, where to start with this one...

We should "be wary" because 2 game series were made by a developer that stopped developing them when they sucked? We should "be wary" of a games that looks FANTASTIC (Rachet and Uncharted) because you think Insomniac and Naughty Dog are bad developers now? Tell me what Naughty Dog has done that was bad. Tell me what Insomniac has done that was bad.

Title
Plat
Company
Reviews
Avg.
Vote
Avg
Score
1. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy PS2 SCEA 70 8.5 90.2%
2. Jak II PS2 SCEA 84 8.4 88.3%
3. Jak 3 PS2 SCEA 64 8.5 85.5%
Title
Plat
Company
Reviews
Avg.
Vote
Avg
Score
1. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal PS2 SCEA 70 8.6 91.6%
2. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando PS2 SCEA 76 8.8 90.9%
3. Ratchet & Clank PS2 SCEA 75 8.6 89.4%
4. Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters PSP SCEA 49 8.3 86.8%
5. Ratchet: Deadlocked PS2 SCEA 63 8.5 82.8%
6. Ratchet & Clank: Going Mobile MOBILE Sony Pictures Digital Entertainment 2 7.3 76.0%

(yes, even the mobile phone game got decent reviews...who knew?)

Title
Plat
Company
Reviews
Avg.
Vote
Avg
Score
1. Crash Bandicoot MOBILE In-Fusio 1 7.0 90.0%
2. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped PS SCEA 14 8.2 89.1%
3. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back PS SCEA 13 7.8 88.5%
4. Crash Bandicoot PS SCEA 8 7.6 79.3%
5. Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure GBA VU Games 20 7.6 78.7%
6. Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced GBA VU Games 28 7.5 74.9%
7. Crash Twinsanity MOBILE I-Play 3 7.0 74.3%
8. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex XBOX VU Games 36 6.4 70.2%
9. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex PS2 VU Games 39 6.4 69.6%
10. Crash Twinsanity XBOX VU Games 32 6.0 68.9%

notice that all the games published by Sony did well, especially Crash 2 and 3.

Title
Plat
Company
Reviews
Avg.
Vote
Avg
Score
1. Spyro: Year of the Dragon PS SCEA 25 7.9 89.3%
2. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! PS SCEA 15 8.1 86.6%
3. Spyro the Dragon PS SCEA 21 7.7 85.4%
4. Spyro Ripto Quest MOBILE I-Play 3 7.0 81.7%
5. Spyro 2: Season of Flame GBA VU Games 23 7.5 76.8%
6. Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs GBA VU Games 12 6.1 74.5%
7. Spyro: Season of Ice GBA VU Games 23 7.1 71.8%
8. The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning XBOX Sierra Entertainment 12 4.8 69.5%
9. The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning GC Sierra Entertainment 12 7.5 67.2%
10. The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning DS Sierra Entertainment 8 8.5 65.9%

hey, lookie there, all Sony published games are at the top again!

I know you tried to make up for this trolling by saying some positive things about PS3, but why don't you tell us what to be wary about concerning some other company for a change?

Around the Network
Blue3 said:

LOL "Rachat bad?"

Please do everyone a favor and STOP making threads, especially since you made similar one like this already.

Sure you can make then since they are anti sony and the mods wont ever close it but damn think about whats bothering you about crash/jak/sony and make one and ONLY one thread about it.

And NO they wont get rid of them, they sold Crash and Insomniacs got rid of Spyro between generation. Since they are alredy making the PS3 versions theres no reason to get rid of them.

Indeed.  One would have been better. 

You did not understand my post. You are making assumptions. All of Sony's published platform games are truely amazing because they all achieved scores of 80% or more. I consider any game with a score of 80% or more to be a good game. Anything below, I consider descent, or bad. You did not need to tell me that. You did not need to post those reviews. All you did was tell me what I already knew. I only criticised the franchises after Sony sold them to third party developers. I have no idea where you got the idea that I was criticising the franchise while Sony was publishing them, because I definitely wasn't.

You've

misunderstood

this