By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4K/NX/Xbox 1.5 won't play games at 4K(my opinion)

All this fuss and talk over Sony putting out a 4K capable console this year, I thought I would throw in my 2c. I was at my friend's house yesterday and he had just spent $1,600AUS(about $1,200 US) on PC gear(case, GPU, CPU, fans, motherboard, etc). With this setup, he won't be able to play games at 4K resolution(3840x2160P) but he should be able to play them at 2560x1440P. This was $1,200US spent on components not including a monitor, mouse keyboard etc and not even able to play true 4K. The freaking GPU was a 1/3rd the size of a god damn PS4!!! So IF Sony/Nintendo/MS plan to put out a console capable of playing games at 4K resolution, chances are it would cost them well over $1,200 even factoring in trade prices with the manufacturer. Does anyone honestly believe any of these companies would be stupid enough to put out a console that costs THEM well over $1,200US just to produce? Even playing games at 1440P would prove very costly right now for consoles. Yes consoles run more effeciently and use the potential of the hardware better than PCs but the dichotomy is not large enough to where a 4K capable console can be built for under $1,000US. No chance.

My prediction. Sony's next update will be a Slim PS4 capable of video playback at 4K, and that is it. The boss at Netflick's outright stated this a while ago(excluding the Slim aspect). This isn't even mentioning how much of a headfuck it would be for developers to make games for two difference variants, some of whom have already voiced their distaste for. 

Around the Network

There's no way either will play games in 4k.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
There's no way either will play games in 4k.

Totall agreed. It is sheer lunacy to suggest otherwise. With the PS4 selling amazingly, Sony would have to be absolutely insane to pull this out mid-generation and curb momentum. I will be mindboggled if it happens.

PS4K might play some games at 4K, but to be fair, just how big is the demand for 4K games? How many people out there even have 4K TVs? The 4K now translates more into "powerful enough for VR gaming".

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

No shit, Sherlock!

The magic word is upscaling. Nowhere near native 4K, but that doesn't stop Sony from marketing the shit out of it. Just like Microsoft did in the 360 days. Remember how EVERY 360 game box said 1080p on the back? This will be quite similar.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
No shit, Sherlock!

The magic word is upscaling. Nowhere near native 4K, but that doesn't stop Sony from marketing the shit out of it. Just like Microsoft did in the 360 days. Remember how EVERY 360 game box said 1080p on the back? This will be quite similar.

UHDTV's already internally upscale/upconvert 1080P content to 2160P resolution though, otherwise you would be viewing the image at a 1/4 of the size of the TV. The difference in detail is not much different from viewing the 1080P content on a 1080P screen. So I don't see this helping at all. In theory, all PS4/Xbox1/Wii U games run on 4K TVs right now and are indeed upscaled to 4k.

in my opinion, this ps4k thing is just to try overshadow the nx's release and try not loose the "most powerful of the gen" spot

Guitarguy said:
OdinHades said:
No shit, Sherlock!

UHDTV's already internally upscale/upconvert 1080P content to 2160P resolution though, otherwise you would be viewing the image at a 1/4 of the size of the TV. The difference in detail is not much different from viewing the 1080P content on a 1080P screen. So I don't see this helping at all. In theory, all PS4/Xbox1/Wii U games run on 4K TVs right now and are indeed upscaled to 4k.

The upscaler on the PS4K would be leagues ahead of anything that is available on tvs.

The consensus is pretty much that neither console will play native 4k games so it's not just your opinion.

With current available pc hardware it's impossible to make a 4k machine in a console size. A gtx 980 ti is like 1/2 the size of a ps4 but can't run all games at 4k

The best we can expect are:

-downsampling from a higher than 1080p res(think 1200p, 1440p) so image is sharper than native 1080p

-upscale to 4k

-higher IQ, higher settings (up'd performance sliders like pc)

-60fps

Not natively, no.

rodea_sky_soldier said:
in my opinion, this ps4k thing is just to try overshadow the nx's release and try not loose the "most powerful of the gen" spot

You could be right. Any press is good press(well, to an extent) and it certainly has curbed alot of NX rumors. But PS4 will have 50 million units out at a minimum by the time the NX is out, I don't really think Sony has much to worry about.