By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sneaks in extra features in firmware 3.5 (4TB support, USB music player, more)

torok said:
Random_Matt said:

Unless it's on the shop shelves, who cares about a 2015 article.

It's better to have support before the drives actually exist than having to wait months after the launch of the 4 TB ones for a patch to support them.

Plot twist: we aren't getting a PS4K, we're getting a PS4Tb

Around the Network
aLkaLiNE said:
Random_Matt said:

Unless it's on the shop shelves, who cares about a 2015 article.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=2RC-0034-00073&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile-_-pla-_-Solid+State+Disk+-+Enterprise-_-2RC-0034-00073&gclid=CIfC5KCW_8sCFU6Bfgod_7oNDA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lol you sure showed him xD

aLkaLiNE said:
torok said:

It's better to have support before the drives actually exist than having to wait months after the launch of the 4 TB ones for a patch to support them.

Plot twist: we aren't getting a PS4K, we're getting a PS4Tb

Play games on 4K, 4TB HDD and US$ 400. B3LI3V3.

lcortes88 said:

Very creative input. I like the artistic direction you're Seeking to convey

Around the Network
sabvre42 said:
AEGRO said:

Damn thats expensive!

That's an enterprise level SSD. It's mostly only practical for RDBMS.

An upside of this is that there won't be need of sticking that atrocious NYKO Data Bank onto the PS4.

Even if it's designed for relational databases in mind, would a PS4 really benefit from it, apart from the high-speed capabilities of a SSD?

$140, 4TB, 2.5" HDD. However, it is 15mm high, so it won't fit inside a PS4 without some hardware modifications.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Momentus-2-5-inch-Drive-ST4000LM016/dp/B016YFEYK6

What I don't understand is that there were people who already had 4TB to 6TB drives hooked up to their PS4s (using external 3.5" drives) without any issues, so I don't know what this "new" support actually gives you.

DM235 said:
$140, 4TB, 2.5" HDD. However, it is 15mm high, so it won't fit inside a PS4 without some hardware modifications.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Momentus-2-5-inch-Drive-ST4000LM016/dp/B016YFEYK6

What I don't understand is that there were people who already had 4TB to 6TB drives hooked up to their PS4s (using external 3.5" drives) without any issues, so I don't know what this "new" support actually gives you.

What? How? That they could save games on?

Last I checked (a few weeks ago), I was playing mp3s using a USB using the media player app.

Looks like they have just added a separate app just for USB music.

Mr_No said:
sabvre42 said:

That's an enterprise level SSD. It's mostly only practical for RDBMS.

An upside of this is that there won't be need of sticking that atrocious NYKO Data Bank onto the PS4.

Even if it's designed for relational databases in mind, would a PS4 really benefit from it, apart from the high-speed capabilities of a SSD?

Yes, and No.

The PS4 doesn't use Sata III, and so never hits the full potential of using a SSD. To be honest, I don't even know if the ps4 would even hit full potential of a 10k RPM mechanical drive. In my opinion, a 7200RPM SSHD is the best option for the current PS4.

The Gen 2 (3 if you consider the 1200 gen 2) PS4 better have SATA III man...