By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which one?

Maths 19 26.76%

Math 20 28.17%

Mathematics 32 45.07%

Total:71

It doesnt make sense to argue it, because there will never be a situation where you ll need it in the real world.

In practical sense, I can easily understand 0.999.... = 1.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Faelco said:

Its even funnier to read these (I love the last one :D )

From the same article:

Although the real numbers form an extremely useful number system, the decision to interpret the notation "0.999…" as naming a real number is ultimately a convention, and Timothy Gowers argues in Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction that the resulting identity 0.999… = 1 is a convention as well:

However, it is by no means an arbitrary convention, because not adopting it forces one either to invent strange new objects or to abandon some of the familiar rules of arithmetic.[47]

A convention is the perfect word for it.  Plenty of examples are given where this is not accepted across all math systems.  That "lower primate" quote seems extremely narrow minded.

And yet that Timothy Gowers explains well that refusing that "convention" would mean "invent strange new objects" or "abandon some of the familiar rules of arithmetic". So he clearly accepts it.

(That quote is about alternative number systems, so not the usual 1-9 that is the subjetc here)

Davman said:

Well i don't blame him either just got confused for 1 sec.

In maths 0,99999... isn't equal to 1 thats all.

What exactly do you mean when you say "In maths"? It makes it sound like you're referencing an authority, or something you've been taught. But 0.999... is most certainly equal to 1, the mathematical community agrees on this completely. 

Platina said:
Teeqoz said:

Actually math does work that way. 

And 1/9*9=1=0.999...

1/9=0.111... you agree on this, right?

and 0.111...*9=0.999... you agree on this as well, right?

Now, since 0.111... = 1/9, and 0.111....*9=0.999... then 0.999....=1

You're working with infinite decimals so it's not the same. Feel free to write 0.99999.. on your math exam though!

Prove how it's not the same (ie. disprove my proof).

Teeqoz said:
Platina said:

You're working with infinite decimals so it's not the same. Feel free to write 0.99999.. on your math exam though!

Argueing about something that has no practical use in the real world, where nothing is infinite.

Why?

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:

You can't once you have an actual proof, at least not in your case so I guess some people will have to deal with such epiphany ...

Peh said:
Player2 said:

The chance of obtaining a six in a six sided dice isn't a natural number.

And what is chance? A word with a definition made by humans. The universe doesn't work that way and doesn't care, because it can't care.

Now I am going back to bed.

Chance is the name we give to a concept that predates the label we give to it and won't change if we change it. Universe does work that way in many scenarios. Stochastic processes like radioactive decay are common in nuclear physics.

Teeqoz said:
Platina said:

You already did. You defined 0.9999... as x. 0.999 could be also called milk if you want and milk equals 1

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

JRPGfan said:
Teeqoz said:

Argueing about something that has no practical use in the real world, where nothing is infinite.

Why?

You are asking me this on a forum where people arbitrarily argue about videogames all day long. Also, if nothing is infinite, what is time? Will time end?

fatslob-:O said:
Teeqoz said:

You can't once you have an actual proof, at least not in your case so I guess some people will have to deal with such epiphany ...

That was what I was going for.

fatslob-:O said:
Teeqoz said:

Havnt proofs been proved wrong before? some where they where held as true for many many years?