By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS cracks down on Gamerscore cheaters

foo, if you want to cheat, go ahead and cheat. Put peanut butter on the disk and fling it out the window. Whatever. It's your $60. Just accept the fact that Microsoft wont give you the credit that somebody, who worked through the same problem you bypassed, is getting. You won't get credit for beating level 4 because you skipped it. Cool. Gamerscore means nothing. If it means THAT much to you, make a separate "cheater profile". Cheat all you want. Use your "legit profile" when you go online. Be happy.

The End

Around the Network

Sounds to me like MS needs a very clear split between gamerscores/achievements whatever (I'm not on Live) that pertain to offline SP modes and those that pertain to MP modes.

I can understand gettting a download save to get by certain parts of a game you're stuck at but of course the second you go online you are taking part in games with others and any cheating that affects those other players should be punished.

Mind you, if the only MP cheat is an inflated score I've got to say there are more alarming things (like terrorism and global warming) that are on my minds than that. If I did use Live I wouldn't care too hoots someone did care about their score so much they cheated to make a a gigasqullion... but the second they cheat in a way that affects me (exploits, aimbots, etc) then I want them banned for ever and poked with a pointed stick (repeatedly).

Maybe its just another reason I don't have a 360 but the whole achievements thing just seems... well, kind of silly to me. Sorry, but it just doesn't matter much to me whether I get 5 headshots in a row or have carried a garden gnome from the start of the game to the end...

It's like when I play Warhark - I keep getting awards for stuff and never really notice, nor do I pay any attention to the rank of others. I guess from some its a nice additional sense of achievement - but I'll settle for winning the game myself.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

fooflexible said:
One more thing, how dare they put my name up or anyone elses(to see what I did read my earlier post) on a list of "cheaters" for everyone to see. Other then an artificially high gamer score, I don't cheat. game save downloading doesn't mean you're running around halo 3 multiplayer in god mode, we're just like everyone else online, so why would they give the false impression that we're cheating online? Especially when they are taking away from us the only advantage we supposedly got, which would be achievements.

achievement = doing something in a game and getting recognition! not downloading a save fille then unlocking things in a game you could never beat so you can say look I beat thet when you didnt! the wii game's cost $50.00 with no gamertag and achievements, PS3 $60.00! So paying for a 360 game isnt worth it unless you get a 1000 gamerscore????? seams to me you really dont care about the label cheater since you already admitted it here! OK I cheated my son played H3 and got me sword spree 3 kills, and overkill 4 kills worth 10 G's it was done all at once he's the sword masta! and I pretty much suck with it! other then that I dont think micro noob cares if someone else plays your tag and gets gscore its the unlocking of 500-1000 g-score in a minute! damn that guys good he just unlocked 500 then a thousand online kills in the I own your MOM game of the week! in one minute! No way No ones that good CHEATER!

mesoteto said:
^yep you should but if you cheat, you cheat..and i have no problem with the world knowing you cheat

Well I just thought racial slurs and death threats and other mistreatment online would be a larger issue, and I don't see Microsoft making a list with those peoples names on it. But no it's the cheaters(people who use other peoples game saves, not online cheating that would enhance your online game)!!!   First off I don't cheat at games I like and am good at, 99% of the time I beat them on my own(Cod4, Halo3, Mass Effect, Twilight Princess, etc...) I cheat at games I just want to play through, because I started to hate them and regret shelling out 60 bucks on. Or a game I rented and don't have time to finish, and perhaps don't' want to finish, so I pop in a game save just to see what the rest of the game is like. Much like watching a movie that gets boring so you start to fast forward. And I have no problem telling my friends, I cheated I really don't care. I just think it's insulting to your customer that has given you thousands of dollars to come out with a list, with the intent to embarrass them. 

Maybe I'll start to spy on you and post all your private actions on a blog, maybe you think the whole world has a right to know that. Seriously I don't see how anyone can think this is acceptable.

Videogirl said:
Couldn't MS be sued for libel if they list someone as a cheater ?

probably but since gamerscore is linked to save files and the time of unlocking is recorded if you get 1000 gamerscore on DMC4 in a minute its obvious you didnt play the game!

Around the Network

Glad to see MS cracking down on cheaters. Saw a post on joystiq where one of the highest GS players has already had their account reset. Good for them.

In a always connected online community if you feel the need to cheat I think MS should take the appropriate action to fix the mistakes and point out what you did.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
fooflexible said:
mesoteto said:
^yep you should but if you cheat, you cheat..and i have no problem with the world knowing you cheat

Well I just thought racial slurs and death threats and other mistreatment online would be a larger issue, and I don't see Microsoft making a list with those peoples names on it. But no it's the cheaters(people who use other peoples game saves, not online cheating that would enhance your online game)!!! First off I don't cheat at games I like and am good at, 99% of the time I beat them on my own(Cod4, Halo3, Mass Effect, Twilight Princess, etc...) I cheat at games I just want to play through, because I started to hate them and regret shelling out 60 bucks on. Or a game I rented and don't have time to finish, and perhaps don't' want to finish, so I pop in a game save just to see what the rest of the game is like. Much like watching a movie that gets boring so you start to fast forward. And I have no problem telling my friends, I cheated I really don't care. I just think it's insulting to your customer that has given you thousands of dollars to come out with a list, with the intent to embarrass them.

Maybe I'll start to spy on you and post all your private actions on a blog, maybe you think the whole world has a right to know that. Seriously I don't see how anyone can think this is acceptabl
  dude get over it...and if you want to blog my life i am flattered knock your self out face it if you cheat and get caught you deserve all that they give you and more   

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Videogirl said:
Couldn't MS be sued for libel if they list someone as a cheater ?

LOL.  Let's all sue for being pointed out as cheaters.  Instead why not just admit and take personal resposibilty for what you did.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Daddo Splat said:
fooflexible said:
One more thing, how dare they put my name up or anyone elses(to see what I did read my earlier post) on a list of "cheaters" for everyone to see. Other then an artificially high gamer score, I don't cheat. game save downloading doesn't mean you're running around halo 3 multiplayer in god mode, we're just like everyone else online, so why would they give the false impression that we're cheating online? Especially when they are taking away from us the only advantage we supposedly got, which would be achievements.

achievement = doing something in a game and getting recognition! not downloading a save fille then unlocking things in a game you could never beat so you can say look I beat thet when you didnt! the wii game's cost $50.00 with no gamertag and achievements, PS3 $60.00! So paying for a 360 game isnt worth it unless you get a 1000 gamerscore????? seams to me you really dont care about the label cheater since you already admitted it here! OK I cheated my son played H3 and got me sword spree 3 kills, and overkill 4 kills worth 10 G's it was done all at once he's the sword masta! and I pretty much suck with it! other then that I dont think micro noob cares if someone else plays your tag and gets gscore its the unlocking of 500-1000 g-score in a minute! damn that guys good he just unlocked 500 then a thousand online kills in the I own your MOM game of the week! in one minute! No way No ones that good CHEATER!

You'd have to read my other posts to get my deal with cheating. My point is I don't think there is anything wrong with it offline, and personally I'd only do it with a game I've given up on, which isn't often, because cheating has been so banned lately this generation that every game has been made so easy I'd think more good gamers would be pissed off at the lack of challange. So I usually don't cheat to beat a game because it's too hard, it more like it just isnt' fun anymore, and I'm playing it like I would fast forward through a boring movie scene. and as  said I never downloaded a gamesave because of the gamerscore, personally I'd rather disable the feature, as I think the the higher your score the more obsessed you look. plus half of the achievements are unfair, some give you 10 for doing something insanely hard, while you can get more for doing something easy in a different game.(like losing on easy in GH2) So they are worthless to begin with. As far as not caring about being branded a cheater, I really don't care, if I cheated I have no problem admiting it, but if I admit it that's my choice, it shouldn't be theirs(as long as it's offline) posting a list, is going to make other people think I cheat online, which I don't(and can't) which may make people use that reporting option, which may give me other problems. like harassment and stuff.

I just can't believe how cool everyone is with this, it's like you'd all love Homeland security to plant video cameras in your house. Maybe make a few more lists.