By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - HD-DVD dead - now for the real Challenge Blu-Ray vs DVD

twesterm said:
The problem I have with BluRay right now is that it's more expensive than DVD's and my PS3 makes my DVD's look just as good as BluRay movies.

Why do I need BluRay again?
 You have a crappy tv, my sister has a 46' Sony XBR4 1080p and only has a top of the line DVD upscaler and the movies look like crap compared to my 42' 1080p Philips  

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Reasonable said:
twesterm said:
The problem I have with BluRay right now is that it's more expensive than DVD's and my PS3 makes my DVD's look just as good as BluRay movies.

I'm tempted to say 'because upscaling doesn't look (on a large HD TV viewed from a range of 1 mm) as good as BR - but the real reason I suspect is that the companies that use DVD want you to go BR, and will therefore be making sure than eventually you have no choice.

I think my TV is big enough (past a certain point it just becomes a little excessive and expensive, for me at least) and I can't tell a difference. Then again, my TV also can't do 1080p, I don't have 7.1 sound, and I just can't tell enough of a difference between a BluRay movie and my upscaled movies on my PS3 to justify the price difference.

DragonLord said:

However, I do have to disagree with twestern about my ps3 making upscaled dvd's look as good as blu-rays. It's not even close on my tv. But that may have something to do with my large screen (resolution becomes more important). I watch on a 60" screen, 1080p.

Perfectly understandable since my TV can only go up to 1080i and is 40" (or maybe 42", I forget).

I can notice a large enough difference to justify my purchases on a 1080i 52" TV. And to be honest, all those that have watched one on my TV have noticed a stark difference. Do you have componant/hdmi cables? I know that may seem a silly question, but I just don't understand how one couldn't notice even the slightest improvement.

BluRay is on a nice start, but people have to keep in mind when they see a BR title shoot high on Amazon's sales Charts that there are far fewer movies avaible on BluRay than on standard DVD. Almost no TV shows are available in BR. Those buying up BR titles simply have far fewer choices, so when a big title comes out right now it's probably going to sell fairly well.

Now in a year or two when the market gets more saturated with BluRay titles, that will be the test vs standard DVD. I do think eventually BR will become the standard, but not for at least 4 or 5 years. How that competes with digital downloads in another question entirely.

May as well toss HVD into the mix. Will be ready in as little as 3 years. The main benefit over Blu Ray is capacity; 50 GB (I know it's expected to go higher) for Blu Ray vs 3.9 TB's for HVD.

Full Aperture 4K and Sony 4K are resolutions of 4096 x 3112 and 4096 × 2160 respectively. SOLED based HDTV's will be capable of these resolutions without increasing screen size.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

This Christmas should be the big test for Blu-Ray. Will people who own HDTVs start flocking to Bu-Ray, now the that the format war is over? If not, it will be a sign that the mass market does not care, and is happy with watching their existing DVDs on the HDTV screens.

Around the Network
FilaBrasileiro said:
twesterm said:

You have a crappy tv, my sister has a 46' Sony XBR4 1080p and only has a top of the line DVD upscaler and the movies look like crap compared to my 42' 1080p Philips

Ouch, way to insult my TV and hit me where it hurts...

I thought Sony was better than Phillips.
Maybe the XBR4 settings with the upscaling DVD player just cant compete with Blu-Ray.

Not your discount POS Philips!

Boom... That Just Happened!

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

twesterm said:
MikeB said:
I am Legend [Blu-Ray] is currently number 2 on Amazon's DVD bestsellers.

Blu-Ray is gaining shelf space fast in North America, Europe and Japan. Blu-Ray movies can be bought just about anywhere, all DVD shops and at all rental shops, the signs are clear Blu-Ray is already an important factor and penetration is rising sharply this year also due to the PS3. New SDTV sales are insignificant, the market is clearly moving towards HD.

Not true at all. All Blockbusters and big chains are starting to carry BluRay and giving it more space (and I do rent BluRay when possible just because I can even though I can't tell the difference between than and upscaled DVD's) but go to small and medium towns.

This last weekend I visited my parents in a town of about 3000-4000 people and they wanted me to go pick them up a movie. They actually have a BluRay player (and it's not a PS3!) but the two local rental shops don't carry BluRay because there's no point when only a handful of people in the town can use it. Later I was visiting some friends in the next town over that's right around 20,000 people and their rental places except for Blockbuster don't have BluRay.

So don't think that everywhere has fully adopted yet.

-edit-

Also saying SDTV's are insignificant is silly as well.  Once again, go to small towns and small cities and browse their shops and trying saying that again.  Even the 20k person towns Best Buy has a pretty good number of non HDTV's and they do fairly well there too because not everyone can afford HDTV's, especially in smaller towns and cities.

I totally agree with this.  When video rental stores move entirely to BluRay, we will know it has won.  That is the only reason my parents switched from videotapes to DVD back in the day.  Even with the obvious benefits of DVD over videotapes, the switch took a couple of years.  BluRay requires a HDTV to get the benefits, and many people don't even have one of those yet.

At this point BluRay is not even close to DVD.  I live in a big college town (20,000+ undergrads, and that only makes up a small part of the city), and I just saw BluRay rentals for the first time about a couple of weeks ago at a Hollywood Video.  It is a very small part of the store.  Other places don't even have it yet.  It will be years before BluRay overtakes and then elimates DVD.

In that amount of time, I could see HD downloads overcoming a lot of the current issues and criticisms surrounding it.  Then it would make BluRay irrelavant.  Or maybe HD downloads will be the big thing after BluRay has had a life like DVD or videotapes.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

disolitude said:
I don't understand topics like this.
Is anyone here paid when bluray or DVD disk makes a sale? Why do you care which media format sells more?
I understand rooting for a console as that console company may make the games you like but rooting for a media format is just bizzare to me.

Because more consumer support means more studio support.  If studios can't ignore the size of Blu-Ray numbers, they will start releasing more titles faster, which is good for us.  I personally enjoy teaching people about new technology, like Blu-Ray myself, so that is an added bonus for me.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

disolitude said:
Viper1 said:
Disolitude, this is a sales website. We debate sales. It's like going to an automotive forum and asking why they are talking about cars.

Yes but videogame sales my freind... When a game is good or you like it, you want it to sell well. I understand the logic behind that.

However I have yet to buy a blank DVD that is better than another blank DVD...or see a movie which is better because of better resolution. Not like Transformers or Terminator 3 are better movies because they are in 1080P or that godfather and Forest Gump are worse movies because they are not in 1080p.

trust me Maxtor brand or txtn brand blank DVDs are the worst ever.  I've has over 10 spindles of both be complete trash.

And fo pic quality you must be blind.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453