By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - HD-DVD dead - now for the real Challenge Blu-Ray vs DVD

Over at E product wars the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD sales tracking has tragically ended with the demise of HD-DVD.

Now the real challenge has started Blu-Ray vs DVD disk sales.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/index.cfm

Will consumers be happy with SD quality DVD movies for much longer when they can get 1080P Cinema Quality for similar prices ?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1138

Apparently Warner's recent release of 'Appleseed Ex Machina' has sold nearly 30% on Blu-ray ! ( i assume that means remaining 70% was DVD) . Blu-ray is grabbing upwards of 5% share of sales when movies are released on DVD and Blu-ray now.

Since only limited titles are released in Blu-ray the overall market share is still only 1 or 2%.

Should increase quickly as more titles become available. My guess is ~10% of the overall US market by end of the year. The EX HD-DVD studios are starting to release new titles on blu-ray AND this xmas will be the first season for Blu-ray where consumers can buy a blu-ray player and know it's not going to be obsolete in 1 month time which is good news.

PS3 number 1 fan

Around the Network

This will take a while like it did with VHS vs DVD. But the Blu-Ray market is expected to triple this year compared to 2007. The DVD market is expected to decline faster than it did in 2007.

At least the transition from DVD to Blu-Ray will be easier on consumers than it was from VHS to DVD, the Blu-Ray players do everything a good upscaling DVD would do as well.

I disliked it you couldn't record TV with ordinary DVD players like you could with VCRs, hope the PS3 becomes a good DVR.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Probably not in the US though read in Korea Sony has released or plans to release a PS3-DVB USB tuner to record to HD.
DVD is gradualy being erroded from 2 directions - By Low quality Down-loadables and from HI-Definition Blu-ray. People can watch the low-def youtube trailer or rip or rent DVD but for the Home cinema full Blu-ray is the only way to see it - I keep thinking my display is out of focus when i watch DVD's now i am used to blu-ray.
BTW i just downloaded PS3 firmware 2.20 it's out - Blu-ray profile 2 compliant and Live Disk content etc apparently if you like funny little popup windows this is for U.

PS3 number 1 fan

i doubt it will ever get enough footing before download able media becomes the norm

PS3 DVR capabilities/services should hit Europe and New Zealand this year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayTV

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

The problem I have with BluRay right now is that it's more expensive than DVD's and my PS3 makes my DVD's look just as good as BluRay movies.

Why do I need BluRay again?

I actually agree with the title of this thread.

I've fought all the dreamers that think downloadable content is a threat to blu-ray--It's not for over a dozen reasons. Sure, some people will download, but it won't be mainstream for at least 10 years, almost certainly longer than that.

But I do agree that the true battle that blu-ray will be fighting is dvd--and it will be a tough as hell battle.

However, I do have to disagree with twestern about my ps3 making upscaled dvd's look as good as blu-rays.  It's not even close on my tv.  But that may have something to do with my large screen (resolution becomes more important).  I watch on a 60" screen, 1080p.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Blu Ray will never reach the market penetration DVD has amassed.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

^agreed---just b/c DVD is still going strong

mesoteto said:
i doubt it will ever get enough footing before download able media becomes the norm

Very unlikely to happen IMO. Most world consumers don't have fast enough internet connections (if at all). The bulk of consumers prefer the content to be stored on solid media. Retail and movie shops are unlikely to close shop anytime soon. The quality of downloadable content is subpar, lengthy download times for 30-50 GB movies.

I mostly heard Microsoft / 360 fans claim the market will move the direction of downloadable content en masse within a couple of years. But a 20GB harddrive as most 360 owners have is not enough to even store one 2 hour movie in Blu-Ray quality. Upgrading those harddrives isn't even as easy and cheap as on the PS3. Many 360 owners haven't even set up a free XBox Live silver account. The picture and audio quality of the XBox 360 is pretty bad according to expert consumer electronics reviewers.

IMO don't eat M$ hype/FUD.

PS3 vs 360 sales