By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why a PS4k is not necessarily bad for current PS4 owners

sabvre42 said:

I disagree. No matter how you look at it (objectively)  it's a good thing. 

There's an elective purchase that I CAN make for upgraded visuals. However, if I choose not to,  I'm guaranteed the same games as before. 

Unless it get's exclusive games, then it can be seen as a bad thing.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
sabvre42 said:

I disagree. No matter how you look at it (objectively)  it's a good thing. 

There's an elective purchase that I CAN make for upgraded visuals. However, if I choose not to,  I'm guaranteed the same games as before. 

Unless it get's exclusive games, then it can be seen as a bad thing.

Yeah, actual exclusives (except for psvr) would be bad form. I give psvr a pass because of the power actually needed to not look like job simulator. 

Its a bad thing, if the PS4K truly have extra power, because it would fracture the userbase, and by comparison you would get stuck with the "shitty" version comparing betwenn the PS4 and PS4K.And this trading system is horrible.It works for phones and such because thats how the market is, but unless you dont trade your phone in 4 or 5 years, all its functions, apps and games function flawlessly for most of the time, no matter the phone you have(not that graphics are that important for mobile games anyway).That would not be the case with consoles.

Plus imagine spending like 100 to 200 dollars every 2 years for each generation.Probably by then the concept of generation would be over, but you would spend, of what would be a normal cycle(around 5 years), betwenn 600 to 800 where you should have just have spend 400.Its as a bad practice as DLC is.Unless this PS4K is a version like slim is, its just terrible news.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

ironmanDX said:
danielrdp said:
No matter how you look at the PS4K, it's a bad thing. If all that it does is play 4K Blu-ray, then I suppose it's not a big deal. However if there is any difference in power, then that sucks a lot.

What if all the games are the same but just are scaled up/down? More like the pc market? 

More like the pc market? Later releases, more bugs on release, compatibility issues, more varialble performance?
You generally need a it of overhead on PC to match console visuals and you'll still not get the same stability.

That all can be limited with only 2 hardware specs to cater too. However the extra time spend on optimizing and testing 2 versions, which both share the exact same userbase, has to come from some where. Less time and budget for the actual game / cutting corners somewhere. The same revenue now has to be split accross 2 hardware specs instead of one.

Many scenarios can happen:
- Devs focus on the largest userbase first and maybe add a patch for ps4k later, maybe even as paid DLC. Comparable to 3D blu-ray, nothing changed to regular blu-ray, but you have to pay more for the 3D version.
- Devs build for ps4k to wow people with the best graphics, then sorta let the frame rate slide on ps4 trying to get it to run with several downgrades. A bit like developing on PC then start the downgrades and end up with an under performing version, except a bit worse as there are 2 specs now.
- Devs aim for ps4 with ability to increase some effects, ps4 version has frame rate dips less optimized, ps4k has frame pacing issues. Most likely, rough shadows on ps4, sharp on ps4k and maybe some other simple things that don't demand much more memory or time.

This would severly handicap PSVR adoption. Sony would split the new VR userbase right at the start.
What PSVR games need ps4k, which ones will make you motion sick on PS4. It would be stupid to introduce a separate hardware spec just after Sony has drilled it into developers that framerates should be locked. No dips allowed. Oh on 2 hardware specs, did we forget to mention that...

It's not only bad for current PS4 owners, also for future PS4 owners, developers and the console business as a whole.
Gamers, Developers and Console manufacturers all have a certain budget to spend on a generation. Adding new hardware mid cycle soaks up some of that budget that could have gone towards a real next-gen upgrade, better services, more games, bigger budget games.
Games already take 3 years to develop, adding new hardware every 3 years is not helping.

KLXVER said:
I don't really get the reason for it. The regular PS4 is selling like crazy.

PS4 is selling so good, the only console that can compete is another PS4!

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

Sony probably wants a proper 4k blu-ray/mediaplayer and using the Playstation brand for that is the most obvious choice. Also you need atleast 60 fps for VR so the current PS4 won't be able to run most of the PS4 library properly.They also need a new gpu for HDR support.

Remember that people who upgrade to the new version will sell their old PS4, allowing other people to buy a used PS4 at an affordable price. It would create the same effect as a price cut without Sony having to cut into their profit margin.This means that the total PS4 userbase actually grows even faster than it does now, allowing Sony to make more money on software sales and PS Plus subscriptions.

Nautilus said:
Its a bad thing, if the PS4K truly have extra power, because it would fracture the userbase, and by comparison you would get stuck with the "shitty" version comparing betwenn the PS4 and PS4K.And this trading system is horrible.It works for phones and such because thats how the market is, but unless you dont trade your phone in 4 or 5 years, all its functions, apps and games function flawlessly for most of the time, no matter the phone you have(not that graphics are that important for mobile games anyway).That would not be the case with consoles.

Plus imagine spending like 100 to 200 dollars every 2 years for each generation.Probably by then the concept of generation would be over, but you would spend, of what would be a normal cycle(around 5 years), betwenn 600 to 800 where you should have just have spend 400.Its as a bad practice as DLC is.Unless this PS4K is a version like slim is, its just terrible news.

AMEN! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

AnthonyW86 said:
KLXVER said:

Sony probably wants a proper 4k blu-ray/mediaplayer and using the Playstation brand for that is the most obvious choice. Also you need atleast 60 fps for VR so the current PS4 won't be able to run most of the PS4 library properly.They also need a new gpu for HDR support.

Remember that people who upgrade to the new version will sell their old PS4, allowing other people to buy a used PS4 at an affordable price. It would create the same effect as a price cut without Sony having to cut into their profit margin.This means that the total PS4 userbase actually grows even faster than it does now, allowing Sony to make more money on software sales and PS Plus subscriptions.

PS4K + PSVR = $____________ ? - How much you sel your PS4 = $____________ ? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

AnthonyW86 said:
KLXVER said:

Well the sales of the regular PS4 would halt. Sony gets nothing from used sales. Who would buy the regular one? Releasing a brand new system just for VR, which isnt even a sure hit yet, sounds risky to me.  

Nautilus said:

Thank you! Somebody here is on the same page with me on this. I wanted to really say this, but couldn't articulate it in this fashion. I don't think it's terrible news, I just don't think it's really great news either. I got the most thumbs down ever on this site for speaking against it last week. LOL

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron