By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
JEMC said:

How many Wii games (not Virtua Console ones) required the Classic controller? Or the Balance Board? Don't compare the hassle of having to use different controllers (that you had to buy separatedly) for a selected minority of games with having to use two sets of controllers for every game, depending on where/how you'll play.

Also, now that I think about it, how will those detachable controllers work? They will have to have their own battery to work, otherwise you couldn't use them when detached from the NX. How much will they weight? And what happens in the hypothetical (and not very likely to happen) case of one of them running out of power while the other and NX don't? Will they drain power from the NX unit to recharge?

But I will and did compare them! Based on how well MKWii, Wii Sports Resort, and Wii Fit sold, it's definitely much more than a small minority. Now that'll be the last time I address this since it's besides the point. If you want to believe the detachable controllers are less simple, fine, but they (atleast how I imagine it) are most definitely better for the consumer and that's what matters most.

We'll have to see of course, but I imagine that whatever goes inbetween the controllers is what powers them be it the NX itself or whatever they'll use to bridge the controllers together while the NX is in the docking station.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
JEMC said:

How many Wii games (not Virtua Console ones) required the Classic controller? Or the Balance Board? Don't compare the hassle of having to use different controllers (that you had to buy separatedly) for a selected minority of games with having to use two sets of controllers for every game, depending on where/how you'll play.

Also, now that I think about it, how will those detachable controllers work? They will have to have their own battery to work, otherwise you couldn't use them when detached from the NX. How much will they weight? And what happens in the hypothetical (and not very likely to happen) case of one of them running out of power while the other and NX don't? Will they drain power from the NX unit to recharge?

But I will and did compare them! Based on how well MKWii, Wii Sports Resort, and Wii Fit sold, it's definitely much more than a small minority. Now that'll be the last time I address this since it's besides the point. If you want to believe the detachable controllers are less simple, fine, but they (atleast how I imagine it) are most definitely better for the consumer and that's what matters most.

We'll have to see of course, but I imagine that whatever goes inbetween the controllers is what powers them be it the NX itself or whatever they'll use to bridge the controllers together while the NX is in the docking station.

You have only named three games, of the hundreds that Wii have. And MKWii had a plastic adaptor to use with your wiimote, that's not exactly a controller. Otherwise those sets of plastic add ons for Wii Sports would also count as gamepads, and God no they weren't!

But let's leave it behind as, as you've rightfully said, it's besides the point.

If the NX unit powers the controllers, that goes against those that believe that they can be used to play multiplayer on the go or that they will work as wiimotes.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

You have only named three games, of the hundreds that Wii have. And MKWii had a plastic adaptor to use with your wiimote, that's not exactly a controller. Otherwise those sets of plastic add ons for Wii Sports would also count as gamepads, and God no they weren't!

But let's leave it behind as, as you've rightfully said, it's besides the point.

If the NX unit powers the controllers, that goes against those that believe that they can be used to play multiplayer on the go or that they will work as wiimotes.

That it does, though I mainly say that because the thing that bridges the controllers may aswell do something. Using the detachable controllers as Wiimotes would be a neat idea, but Nintendo has been moving away from that control scheme and the button placements would have to be different so it's unlikely. I still don't think local single system multiplayer on the go is practical as awesome as it would be, but who knows maybe Nintendo found a way!

You should be able to use the system as home like a Wii U controller.

If it has to be docked then to me this is a pretty huge tip off of a different performance mode at home for TV play.

What I would say in that case is that the "guts" of the NX being ejectable like a SNES cartridge make more sense. Eject the NX "cartridge", insert into your home dock, now you can continue using the NX screen/buttons as a home controller.

Reading the French article again, I get the feeling that the hub may not just connect to the TV, but also connect multiple NX tablet units. Lan parties!

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

If it has to be docked then to me this is a pretty huge tip off of a different performance mode at home for TV play.

What I would say in that case is that the "guts" of the NX being ejectable like a SNES cartridge make more sense. Eject the NX "cartridge", insert into your home dock, now you can continue using the NX screen/buttons as a home controller.

Extra power is not the only reason to dock the NX to play at home.

Play on TV while you're charging the device is one, and not having to worry about running out of juice is another. Usually, gameplay sessions with home consoles are longer than handheld ones (at least while playing on the go). Has your Wii U gamepad ever run out of juice while playing? It's annoying as hell.

Not everything has to have a secret intention.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Soundwave said:

Play on TV while you're charging the device is one, and not having to worry about running out of juice is another. Usually, gameplay sessions with home consoles are longer than handheld ones (at least while playing on the go). Has your Wii U gamepad ever run out of juice while playing? It's annoying as hell.

Forcing it to have to be docked still makes no sense. 

Want to charge while playing? Just plug it into a wall charger with a cable. Forcing the whole unit to be stuck into a home dock/base unit means the screen will be virtually useless at home. What if you want to play Splatoon? Mario Maker?

When my iPad is low on battery I don't "dock it" and sit around waiting for it to recharge, I just plug it in to a charger and continue using it. 

IMO there probably is more to this docked mode thing if it indeed has a dock. 

One power mode for a device like this doesn't even make sense. 720p for example is overkill for a portable, it should downclock to 540p or 600p to conserve power, the image quality you get on a 6-7 inch display is good enough at that resolution anyway. But 540p is going to look terrible on a 50+ inch HDTV display. 

I think the smartest setup is to have the chipset ejectable into the home dock. The home dock is basically just a cooling bay + HDMI out which allows the chip to now run at full 100% performance (say 800GFLOP-1 TFLOP). 

You can still use the screen + controller part of the NX while at home no problem. That is a far more functional and sensible setup. Portable mode then can run at lower resolutions/graphic modes to conserve battery. 

I think an ejectable chip bay is to complex and vulnerable.

I suspect the docking bay provides additional processing, Hard Drive, additional external control options and a networking hub to connect multiple NX mobile units.

Edit: Yes it has been reported here alread. NVM :) (Sept 12 reveal rumour)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/06/rumour_french_media_claims_nintendo_nx_is_set_for_september_reveal

Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

Forcing it to have to be docked still makes no sense. 

Want to charge while playing? Just plug it into a wall charger with a cable. Forcing the whole unit to be stuck into a home dock/base unit means the screen will be virtually useless at home. What if you want to play Splatoon? Mario Maker?

When my iPad is low on battery I don't "dock it" and sit around waiting for it to recharge, I just plug it in to a charger and continue using it. 

IMO there probably is more to this docked mode thing if it indeed has a dock. 

One power mode for a device like this doesn't even make sense. 720p for example is overkill for a portable, it should downclock to 540p or 600p to conserve power, the image quality you get on a 6-7 inch display is good enough at that resolution anyway. But 540p is going to look terrible on a 50+ inch HDTV display. 

I think the smartest setup is to have the chipset ejectable into the home dock. The home dock is basically just a cooling bay + HDMI out which allows the chip to now run at full 100% performance (say 800GFLOP-1 TFLOP). 

You can still use the screen + controller part of the NX while at home no problem. That is a far more functional and sensible setup. Portable mode then can run at lower resolutions/graphic modes to conserve battery. 

You're trying to picture a reality that suits what you believe or want to believe.

Docking the NX makes a lot of sense if Nintendo wants a way to expand the NX storage capacity, offer a simple (and also affordable) way to connect NX to the TV via a simple HDMI cable and give the user a place to just leave the thing when not in use that also recharges it.

About your ejectable processor... are you nuts? If Nintendo does all those things NX will be too expensive and a complete failure because no one will buy it. You are forgetting that NX needs to have an attractive price, and all those things you're asking for only increase the total cost of the device.