By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blizzard To Remove Tracer Pose From Overwatch Due To “Sex Symbol” Complaints

This thread is quite interesting from another one I read. The reason Blizzard decided to change the pose was not that it was sexy but because it did not fit the profile of the character. Its also interesting that because Blizzard decided to change the pose for their own reasons gamers are not respecting that decision.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
This thread is quite interesting from another one I read. The reason Blizzard decided to change the pose was not that it was sexy but because it did not fit the profile of the character. Its also interesting that because Blizzard decided to change the pose for their own reasons gamers are not respecting that decision.

That's the story they tried to feed the masses, to try and curb the firestorm.  Few are buying it.

mornelithe said:
Machiavellian said:

That's the story they tried to feed the masses, to try and curb the firestorm.  Few are buying it.

It's also the only explanation that makes even a slight bit of sense. There was one person complaining on their forums, in the beta section. There are genuinely hundreds of threads like that for their games every day. You simply don't cave to a single forum post. Thinking they do is a form of conspiracy theory.

Blizzard's own explanation is extremely much more likely than the conspiracy. For reference, here's what the game director himself actually said right after his original comment.

"While I stand by my previous comment, I realize I should have been more clear. As the game director, I have final creative say over what does or does not go into the game. With this particular decision, it was an easy one to make—not just for me, but for the art team as well. We actually already have an alternate pose that we love and we feel speaks more to the character of Tracer. We weren’t entirely happy with the original pose, it was always one that we wrestled with creatively. That the pose had been called into question from an appropriateness standpoint by players in our community did help influence our decision—getting that kind of feedback is part of the reason we’re holding a closed beta test—but it wasn’t the only factor. We made the decision to go with a different pose in part because we shared some of the same concerns, but also because we wanted to create something better.

We wouldn’t do anything to sacrifice our creative vision for Overwatch, and we’re not going to remove something solely because someone may take issue with it. Our goal isn’t to water down or homogenize the world, or the diverse cast of heroes we’ve built within it. We have poured so much of our heart and souls into this game that it would be a travesty for us to do so."

If they get to ban sexy girl characters for making them feel uncomfortable, we should get to ban Twilight for making us feel uncomfortable.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Pineapple said:
mornelithe said:

It's also the only explanation that makes even a slight bit of sense. There was one person complaining on their forums, in the beta section. There are genuinely hundreds of threads like that for their games every day. You simply don't cave to a single forum post. Thinking they do is a form of conspiracy theory.

Blizzard's own explanation is extremely much more likely than the conspiracy. For reference, here's what the game director himself actually said right after his original comment.

"While I stand by my previous comment, I realize I should have been more clear. As the game director, I have final creative say over what does or does not go into the game. With this particular decision, it was an easy one to make—not just for me, but for the art team as well. We actually already have an alternate pose that we love and we feel speaks more to the character of Tracer. We weren’t entirely happy with the original pose, it was always one that we wrestled with creatively. That the pose had been called into question from an appropriateness standpoint by players in our community did help influence our decision—getting that kind of feedback is part of the reason we’re holding a closed beta test—but it wasn’t the only factor. We made the decision to go with a different pose in part because we shared some of the same concerns, but also because we wanted to create something better.

We wouldn’t do anything to sacrifice our creative vision for Overwatch, and we’re not going to remove something solely because someone may take issue with it. Our goal isn’t to water down or homogenize the world, or the diverse cast of heroes we’ve built within it. We have poured so much of our heart and souls into this game that it would be a travesty for us to do so."

Right, makes perfect sense that a guy makes a post about his daughter, then Blizzard immediately removes the post, then comes out with this story.  Of course, makes complete sense.  As you can see, I'm being facetious.  Believe them if you like, I however, do not.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
So they changed the pose over the complaint of one person over a pose that looks like a "sex symbol"

I don't really see anything that implies that either... Sure, she has a butt, but do does everyone, and nothing else really seem to portray her as some sort of sex object. I feel like the complainer(s) is making a big deal out of nothing, and worse, Blizzard was so quick to give in to it. Are they going to keep changing things just because a vocal few are not happy with it?

Yeah this the true shocking thing, that only 1 complaint is enough for them to remove things. Yet all these journalist like from destructurd say they dont have influence on things. If one forum post is enough what will then article do from these sites?

Ka-pi96 said:
KungKras said:

If they get to ban sexy girl characters for making them feel uncomfortable, we should get to ban Twilight for making us feel uncomfortable.

Are you saying you don't like Twilight or something? That's a joke right?

I was trying to make a very simple, catchy point. But perhaps I oversimplified everything.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Ka-pi96 said:
KungKras said:

I was trying to make a very simple, catchy point. But perhaps I oversimplified everything.

I got it. But as a fanbear I had to stick up for Twilight!

Fanbear is a pretty scary concept.
Imagine not liking something and then a flock of bloodthirsty bears appears out of nowhere.

I LOVE ICELAND!

mornelithe said:
Machiavellian said:

WWhat I find is that even if it’s the truth most gamers would not buy it.  It appears that a lot of gamers are not really concerned about truth but instead about their own opinion.  The key is that they already have another sexualize character with Widowmaker and they are not changing that character because that character matches her profile.

The thing is after reading her profile, that pose probably does not fit her.  If any male on this forum thinks every woman character need to have a provocative pose then maybe it is time to grow up.  Gaming as expanded where its not just the sole entertainment of males but instead women, girls, fathers (who probably thought this was find when they were young) etc.

In my 20s I probably would be like (another liberal spoiling my fun) but now that I am in my 40s, I a different perspective on gaming.  I feel that Blizzard has the right to change their mind on how they design their game.  As with any creative art, stuff does not exist in a vacuum and its very plausible that they never thought about the subject until it was brought up and decided that hey, this isn’t how we want this character portrayed. 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
mornelithe said:

Are you telling us fewer people will buy the game cause blizzard removed one of the poses for a character for a game that is still  in beta ?

Yes less people will buy it