By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PSVR May Come To PC

For all we know Sony may work out a deal to get the playstation VR to be a Oculus certified device like Samsung did with its GearVR, or Sony may even get the playstation VR to be a certified Valve: Vive certified device on steam OS

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
joeorc said:

[If Sony starts releasing their games on PC, it won't be this gen]

Again why would Sony do that when they can just stream from Playstation "to" other platforms which are seen by playstation as just a "playstation Node" Sony sold off SOE, and their PC manufacturing arm of the Company.

PC is not a priority for Playstation or Sony for that matter as a platform to develop for. If you notice its about stream "from" playstation or from playstation service's "to"

Why would Sony help PC take away one of playstation best talking points?

ITs all about the Digital Store going into the future thats why. Sony will not want to be left behind when it comes to this.

Which is true to some extent, but why need a PC PlayStation store , when you can just stream from the playstation to the PC anyway?

That's like saying why would sony give away one more talking point in not having to buy a playstation?

If you notice

Playstation VUE is Sony's software service streaming From their servers "to" but its made for the living room computer platforms not the PC. There is a very good reason for that.

Sony is in support of the AndroidOS , not Windows OS..the main OS for the Living room smartTV is Android OS, again not the WindowsOS.

Sony makes Android OS powered Smart phones, not Windows OS based.

The standard Graphics API in Android OS was OpenCL, its now Vulkan. 

Vulkan works on AndroidOS based devices, Amazon Fire stick & player and Chromecast are AndroidOS based devices.

Sony's streaming tech direction is mainly "to" other device's.

If anything PC is the last platform really Sony would support over playstation or AndroidOS at this point. The market for PC is well established, Sony built Playstation VR for the console market mainly..while OculusRift & Vive were built only for the PC market.

Sony't rightly So is keeping its direction to keeps its priority on the console market.

Think of it this way , how long has Microsoft been trying to make the media center PC your computer entertainment platform for the consumers livingroom? Multiple Decades!

And still Nintendo & Sony are standing in their way in doing so, now you are in smart TV's having The Android OS going directly into the TV itself. Or in Amazon Fire stick & player and Google's very own chromecast and player.

Why would again Sony support PC ecosystem mainly over AndroidOS when Sony has a direct vested interest into Android OS themselves in its development as a OS. Sony has no such invested interest in making Windows OS even larger in support over Android OS..

Sony sold off SOE & their PC arm..if they wanted to mainly support PC they would have kept SOE!

Again if its about the digital store for the future:

Again why support the Windows 10 store..Sony already had playstation Store..& google playstore and iOS..the PC market has steam & Windows Store those stores cater to PC crowd..Sony caters to the Console Crowd.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

LipeJJ said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I can't agree with that at all. The PS4 install base will be around 50 million by the time PSVR releases. PS4 sales won't stop selling on the day PSVR launches. Sony do not need the PC for PSVR to be successful, in fact I can't even believe I've had to type that sentence.

Yes, I'm aware of PS4's userbase size and potential growth, but it still wouldn't be big enough imo. You see, not everyone is interested in buying a VR device. In fact, I believe most people (casuals) don't even care or know about it. It is not a mainstream thing yet, in fact it's very far from that. So yeah, it can find a decent success staying exclusive to PS4 cause it will appeal to both hardcore fans and people interested in VR, but the only way to make it truly sucessful/big in my opinion in to taking it to PC, where the "userbase" is dozens of times bigger. 

Unless you think the attach rate for an expensive peripheral will be like 50%.

The overall user base is bigger yes, when you include China, India and countries like that which are far more fickle with their spending. But NVidia themselves estimate only 13 million PCs through 2016 even have the ability to harness VR, so we have to extrapolate from that how many of those will end up investing in a headset. This is against a current install base of ~39 million, set to be above 55 by years end. Right now, Sony doesn't need PC gamers to be successful.

edit -sorry, forgot to cite http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35220974

zero129 said:
joeorc said:

Which is true to some extent, but why need a PC PlayStation store , when you can just stream from the playstation to the PC anyway?

That's like saying why would sony give away one more talking point in not having to buy a playstation?

If you notice

Playstation VUE is Sony's software service streaming From their servers "to" but its made for the living room computer platforms not the PC. There is a very good reason for that.

Sony is in support of the AndroidOS , not Windows OS..the main OS for the Living room smartTV is Android OS, again not the WindowsOS.

Sony makes Android OS powered Smart phones, not Windows OS based.

The standard Graphics API in Android OS was OpenCL, its now Vulkan. 

Vulkan works on AndroidOS based devices, Amazon Fire stick & player and Chromecast are AndroidOS based devices.

Sony's streaming tech direction is mainly "to" other device's.

If anything PC is the last platform really Sony would support over playstation or AndroidOS at this point. The market for PC is well established, Sony built Playstation VR for the console market mainly..while OculusRift & Vive were built only for the PC market.

Sony't rightly So is keeping its direction to keeps its priority on the console market.

Think of it this way , how long has Microsoft been trying to make the media center PC your computer entertainment platform for the consumers livingroom? Multiple Decades!

And still Nintendo & Sony are standing in their way in doing so, now you are in smart TV's having The Android OS going directly into the TV itself. Or in Amazon Fire stick & player and Google's very own chromecast and player.

Why would again Sony support PC ecosystem mainly over AndroidOS when Sony has a direct vested interest into Android OS themselves in its development as a OS. Sony has no such invested interest in making Windows OS even larger in support over Android OS..

Sony sold off SOE & their PC arm..if they wanted to mainly support PC they would have kept SOE!

Again if its about the digital store for the future:

Again why support the Windows 10 store..Sony already had playstation Store..& google playstore and iOS..the PC market has steam & Windows Store those stores cater to PC crowd..Sony caters to the Console Crowd.

Clearly you know Streaming from a console is not the same as having a Digital Store on that platform.

You also talk about why would Sony allow such a thing on PC, but go on to talk about how they support Android (Based on Linux, a PC OS).

For the very same reason that Sony supports Android is why they will want to allow their service to be used on PC's, so they can reach as many users as possible, and lock as many users and devices into their store as they can.

Them smart top Android boxes that you say Sony is in full support of, is more of a treat to Playstation "console" brand (Not their digital store) then PC's are.

Why would a user buy a Playstation console when they can buy a small Android box or use their Android Phone that can plug into their TV use their PS joypad and play on that using PSNow??.

This is your main argument for why they wouldnt support the PC Platform so why support Android when its a bigger treat to their console?.

I mean wouldnt it be in Sonys best Interest to have a "Playstation" console as the ultimate living room streaming box?, so why support any of the compition at all??.

Could it be that Sony knows going forword the is more Money to be made from having their Store usable on any device instead of locking it to just one??.

Again why do they need to support PC when Android OS is Sony's own OS for the living room..

Windows Is is not Sony's OS , SteamOS is not their OS..Android OS... IS

Its about keeping the PC out of the living room!

Microsoft is about expanding the PC into the living room.

Which makes more sense, support PC 

Or put Playstation Software & services inside the TV itself IE: smartTV's and put PlayStation Software and services into Streaming Box's like Other Android OS box's.

Sony does not need PC, PC as a market is already established..while Sony is carving out their market in the living room.

PlayStation is the center Hub..these other box's or smartTV's are just another playstation Node in Sony's Playstation Eco system.

Again they would not give up making a box to go under the TV instead help the PC go there instead. Many think that way , and that's OK for such an opinion, but in my opinion..Sony has a vested interest in support of AndroidOS over Windows..and that's what we are really talking about here really..

When people talk PC support on here are they really talking Linux, or Microsoft windows OS powered?

Again why would Sony have to support PC Eco system over their own..they make and support the Android OS and that's the number #1 OS for smartTV's and living room streaming box's and Sony has not only xperia brand products they make Android smart TV's.

I AM BOLO

ps:

zero129 said:

Clearly you know Streaming from a console is not the same as having a Digital Store on that platform.

[Why would a user buy a Playstation console when they can buy a small Android box or use their Android Phone that can plug into their TV use their PS joypad and play on that using PSNow??.]

Because not everyone is always online..and you can stream locally from a PS4 "to" a PC or smart TV.

[This is your main argument for why they wouldnt support the PC Platform so why support Android when its a bigger treat to their console?.]

Is windows 10 a bigger threat to Xbox one?

Why would a Android OS be the same for Sony?

The Android OS , Sony not only make AndroidOS builds for their smartphone's and TV's are making playstation smartphone Exclusives for Android OS! You do not See Sony in support of Windows Phone Do you?

[I mean wouldnt it be in Sonys best Interest to have a "Playstation" console as the ultimate living room streaming box?, so why support any of the compition at all??.]

Playstation Vue on those streaming Box's is not the same as playstation 4 exclusive games ending up on those box's.

If you notice playstation 4 streaming to a PC is being released, but not playstation Now on PC.

[Could it be that Sony knows going forword the is more Money to be made from having their Store usable on any device instead of locking it to just one??.]

Yes and those store can be for mobile & playstation.

I mean Microsoft now is splitting legacy OS versions of Windows separate from a unified Windows OS 10, that includes a Store..So again why exactly would Sony support Windows 10 with a Store than Microsoft could come out an market.

Why buy a PlayStation when you can play Playstation games on PC now.

Again that's not PlayStation Exclusives on a PC..having a store on PC could be buy PlayStation products on your PC . which Sony already has that, again why would Sony need to make exclusives for OS that is not their platform..Android OS is a Platform for Sony because A) they are in the open handset alliance.

B) smart phones they make are powered by Android OS as well as their smart TV's

So again Sony sold off SOE & their PC arm..Sony is out of PC market.. Why would they than turn around spend more money to support PC in any real meaningful way.. They again sold off SOE

I AM BOLO

ps:

Around the Network

I'd buy it if it went to PC, most likely.

deskpro2k3 said:

if it comes to PC it'll be an epic win.

People will have the option to buy a VR headset that is more affordable

Because Oculus Rift and HTC Vive are the only VR PC headsets in the world?

joeorc said:

So again Sony sold off SOE & their PC arm..Sony is out of PC market.. Why would they than turn around spend more money to support PC in any real meaningful way.. They again sold off SOE

Maybe because it would cost them like 100.000$ to make a good PC port for one of their exclusives, and they turn that into atleast 100M $ profit by selling 1-2 million copies (depends on which exclusive) 

MortienGerrux said:

joeorc said:

Maybe because it would cost them like 100.000$ to make a good PC port for one of their exclusives, and they turn that into atleast 100M $ profit by selling 1-2 million copies (depends on which exclusive) 

Youre confusing the word revenue with profit. 

MortienGerrux said:
deskpro2k3 said:

if it comes to PC it'll be an epic win.

People will have the option to buy a VR headset that is more affordable

Because Oculus Rift and HTC Vive are the only VR PC headsets in the world?

edit:

First time I've heard of Vive, and I checked the price for it. +700 dollars. holyshit!

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5