By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can someone explain REZ for me?

It's basically creating music by shooting things. I actually love the game. I had never tried it, though I knew about it a long time ago. My friend who is a DJ bought the game a long time ago and loved it and he recommended it to me. After I tried the demo on XBLA I just had to keep playing. I bought an MS point card and bought the game, hehe :D I've always been into music games (Bemani, etc.) and this is another very innovative music game.

I think the only music game that I've tried that I couldn't get into was Guitar Hero. That's most likely because I'd rather just play songs on my real guitar, hehe ;-p

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Hmm, this may be true but then it looks like the entire gaming review community is stoned as it averages 89% on metacritic.

There has to be more to it...

It's like the Emperor's New Clothes. Everyone pretended they liked it for fear of being the one who "doesn't get it". Really though, Rez sucks. In fact, a lot of stuff that requires you to be high to enjoy it, isn't really awesome.

I've posted the merits of Rez HD before, so I feel obligated to defend it here.

First, you don't need to be stoned to enjoy it. Just sit back, enjoy the artsy graphics and lovely sound, and shoot things. You'll eventually be rewarded with Area 5, which both has the best song out of all the areas and delivers a more-than-satisfactory conclusion to the premise of the game.

Second, those of you who state that Rez isn't very challenging probably haven't got past Play Mode. Have you tried to rank on the global leaderboards on Score Attack mode? Get 100% shot down on all of the areas to unlock the other forms? Play the higher-difficulty areas of Direct Assault? There's a bunch of challenging stuff to do after you beat the main five areas.

Third, you can die. It's pretty easy to survive on Play Mode, but when you're trying to rack up combos in Score Attack or Direct Assault, it's easy to wait just a little too long to destroy that missile that's about to hit you.

Overall, Rez HD is my second favorite game of this gen so far (second only to SMG). I'd strongly urge those of you with a 360 to drop the 800 MS points on the full version of the game, since it really is well worth it.

@ d21lewis: Yeah, I'm just pretending to like it, obviously. Those 10+ hours I've sunk into the game since getting it a few weeks ago? Just "street cred" so I can chastize you philistines for not liking a piece of TRUE ART, unlike your... plebeian games. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go smoke a Cuban cigar, sip a $100 glass of brandy, and gaze lovingly at my hallway of original Pollock paintings while reveling in my obvious superiority.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

mmmmmmmm. Brandy.

d21lewis said:
disolitude said:
Hmm, this may be true but then it looks like the entire gaming review community is stoned as it averages 89% on metacritic.

There has to be more to it...

It's like the Emperor's New Clothes. Everyone pretended they liked it for fear of being the one who "doesn't get it". Really though, Rez sucks. In fact, a lot of stuff that requires you to be high to enjoy it, isn't really awesome.

I agree. I played the game for 2 hours and still could not understand its appeal.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

you don't actually need pot to enjoy Rez, though it may help.

disolitude, you seem far too goal orientated. the whole point of rez is to destroy everything to the beat, and collect the blue, red and sometimes green powerups. there are more efficient ways to kill certain things, which you need to figure out if you want to get a high clear %, as some things aren't on screen for long. just sit back, do your best to relax, play traveling mode and start on level one. let us know if you beat all the levels, because when I first played I died a few times on the later levels while playing the bosses (level 3,4,5). The first couple levels are pretty easy.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Theory #2: Maybe it's not your (or my) type of game. I hated Rez on the PS2. Maybe, just maybe, every game won't appeal to every gamer. 800 ms points= the cost of a good education.

i thought it was quite good but not anything truly special.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Well I don't know what to say... I'll try it again...and again...as I really want to like that game.

Otherwise my next question is why people play Final Fantasy? j/k :)

d21lewis said:
Theory #2: Maybe it's not your (or my) type of game. I hated Rez on the PS2. Maybe, just maybe, every game won't appeal to every gamer. 800 ms points= the cost of a good education.

Well there is the demo (~10 minutes of play time, I think) on XBLA, so you can try it out before you decide to get it. I played the demo and then bought the whole game :) 

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"