By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

ps4tw said:
RolStoppable said:

Make it simple for the people on this board. Lay out a VR-system strategy for Nintendo. You guaranteed us that Nintendo is doomed if they don't focus on VR. Now tell us what such a product would be, who it would be targeted at and how much it would cost.

As long as Nintendo make a console that is VR ready, then they will be able to start clawing back the market that Microsoft and Sony dominate. Unless they find an entirely different market, which is highly unlikely, then we shall see a repeat of the Wii U - a console that will only appeal to the ever dwindling core Nintendo fans. If you want more detail than that, feel free to pay me $70 an hour.

Lol what a cop out answer, pay me $70 and ill come up with a real answer.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
ps4tw said:

As long as Nintendo make a console that is VR ready, then they will be able to start clawing back the market that Microsoft and Sony dominate. Unless they find an entirely different market, which is highly unlikely, then we shall see a repeat of the Wii U - a console that will only appeal to the ever dwindling core Nintendo fans. If you want more detail than that, feel free to pay me $70 an hour.

RolStoppable said:
ps4tw said:

If you are unwilling to provide substance without getting paid for it, then you shouldn't post on forums.

If you think it'll take anything less than months of work to come up with what has been asked for, you have no idea what it is you're asking for. 

Go eduate yourselves a bit by giving this overview a read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_management

And for fun, read this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_requirements_document

RolStoppable said:
ps4tw said:

If you think it'll take anything less than months of work to come up with what has been asked for, you have no idea what it is you're asking for. 

But you've already done all the work, that's how you could guarantee us that Nintendo will be doomed if they don't focus on VR.

How about you tell me why Nintendo aren't doomed considering I've already shown how VR is an extremely hot and rapidly growing segment in the gaming industry? 

Also, what's your day job? You seem such an expert in this field I must imagine it's something impressive :)

ps4tw said:
zorg1000 said:

RolStoppable said:

If you are unwilling to provide substance without getting paid for it, then you shouldn't post on forums.

Months of work? Get over yourself, hes simply asking for a brief summary of how VR is going to be Nintendo's savior.

You cant even do that so your statement, "Nintendo is doomed if they dont focus on VR" is based on absolutely nothing.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
ps4tw said:

Months of work? Get over yourself, hes simply asking for a brief summary of how VR is going to be Nintendo's savior.

You cant even do that so your statement, "Nintendo is doomed if they dont focus on VR" is based on absolutely nothing.

"Get over yourself"? So another critic with no idea of product management. Do you think a product strategy is created in a week? LMAO what's your job, because I'm guessing it's nothing to do with product strategy.

In another post I showed how VR is a rapidly growing industry with positive feedback across different markets. Tell me what Nintendo's strategy should be instead.

Around the Network
ps4tw said:
zorg1000 said:

"Get over yourself"? So another critic with no idea of product management. Do you think a product strategy is created in a week? LMAO what's your job, because I'm guessing it's nothing to do with product strategy.

In another post I showed how VR is a rapidly growing industry with positive feedback across different markets. Tell me what Nintendo's strategy should be instead.

Nobody is asking you to put hours of research into this, just give an explanation as to why VR is Nintendo's only viable option.

So VR is growing and has positive feedback, that means that its Nintendo's only option?

Facebook, HTC, Sony, Samsung, LG, Microsoft, Apple, Google, and more have VR/AR headsets that recently released or soon to be released ranging from low-end Mobile devices all the way up to high-end PCs. How will Nintendo VR stand out among a dozen or so competitors?

Edit: just to be clear, im not necessarily saying Nintendo should release release their own VR headset, just that its extreme hyperbole to say they are doomed without it.

RolStoppable said:
ps4tw said:

How about you tell me why Nintendo aren't doomed considering I've already shown how VR is an extremely hot and rapidly growing segment in the gaming industry? 

Also, what's your day job? :)

You don't even know the preorder numbers for the VR products, so claiming that VR will be a resounding success is premature. You are also assuming that VR gaming will account for the majority of console gaming before too long, but that's once again based on nothing but wishful thinking. You mention 15,000 units in preorder numbers as if it would be a big deal, and do so in a thread about a console (the Wii U) that is a failure for selling fewer than 15,000,000 units. It would be a bad idea for Nintendo to bank on unproven and very expensive technology for their next video game system, especially after stereoscopic 3D for their handheld and the Gamepad for their home console have burnt them so hard this generation. A simple estimate for the costs of a virtual reality system should make it obvious why VR isn't going to be massmarket-friendly within the next few years.

My job doesn't matter. Besides, I could make up anything I wanted. It's not going to add more credibility to any discusson unless it is proven to be true. Hence why what you claim to be means nothing.

Dont forget that the people who are preodering PSVR 7 months before launch are not the average consumer, they are the "hardcore" enthusiasts and in no way shows that it willl be successful after the initial sales from these people.

Soundwave said:

Sony's usually pretty good at attracting broader audiences and kids as the generation goes on and their price gets lower in conjunction with the library broadening out.

I think VR could be a casual draw for the PS4 after a price cut or two. VR applications I think are going to be very different from just games, things like VR ocean diving, non-gaming, travel, stories, etc. I think could be popular with casuals and the PS VR is cheaper than things like Occulus and probably will be cheaper than Apple which is also invested big into VR.

VR is already being used in some buisness settings. I know a guy who uses it to give tours of houses. Its bigger than people here know and most here really dont know what they are saying anyway

zorg1000 said:
ps4tw said:

Nobody is asking you to put hours of research into this, just give an explanation as to why VR is Nintendo's only viable option.

So VR is growing and has positive feedback, that means that its Nintendo's only option?

Facebook, HTC, Sony, Samsung, LG, Microsoft, Apple, Google, and more have VR/AR headsets that recently released or soon to be released ranging from low-end Mobile devices all the way up to high-end PCs. How will Nintendo VR stand out among a dozen or so competitors?

Edit: just to be clear, im not necessarily saying Nintendo should release release their own VR headset, just that its extreme hyperbole to say they are doomed without it.

Well the only other option available to Nintendo is to make a console that falls into the trap of being similar to the existing ones, or run the risk of making a product and trying to find the market after it's creation, something it did with the Wii U. It doesn't make sense not to ride the tide, plus why does Nintendo have to make a headset? As I said, all they have to do is make a competent VR ready console. 

Also, it's very telling that neither you or Rol mentioned your day job. Pair of armchair experts I see...

RolStoppable said:
ps4tw said:

Also, what's your day job? :)

You don't even know the preorder numbers for the VR products, so claiming that VR will be a resounding success is premature. You are also assuming that VR gaming will account for the majority of console gaming before too long, but that's once again based on nothing but wishful thinking. You mention 15,000 units in preorder numbers as if it would be a big deal, and do so in a thread about a console (the Wii U) that is a failure for selling fewer than 15,000,000 units. It would be a bad idea for Nintendo to bank on unproven and very expensive technology for their next video game system, especially after stereoscopic 3D for their handheld and the Gamepad for their home console have burnt them so hard this generation. A simple estimate for the costs of a virtual reality system should make it obvious why VR isn't going to be massmarket-friendly within the next few years.

My job doesn't matter. Besides, I could make up anything I wanted. It's not going to add more credibility to any discusson unless it is proven to be true. Hence why what you claim to be means nothing.

Well 15,000 units in 10 minutes (learn to read), high positioning in Amazon bestselling lists around the world and phrasing such as "more preorders than I could have ever expected" all paint a positive picture...

Sterioscopic 3D had lots of negative feedback before it was released, whereas VR doesn't, a key point you are choosing to ignore, and their gamepad was never a feature gamers asked for, nor wanted. Considering people are happy to pay $600+ for a phone, VR suddenly looks a lot more affordable.

Oh your job doesnt matter! How convenient! I'll take a guess why - because you're a photographer/student or don't work and yet want to argue why you magically understand the workings of product strategy and mangement. Try not to claim you know best when you have literally NO experience and little understanding about what you are talking about.  Here's what we'll do - we'll agree to disagree and see how it unfolds. I like to think that my years of experience vs your zero years of experience in this field gives me somewhat of an edge on these things. Or you can tell me I'm wrong about something you genuinely don't understand and continue to be an armchair expert. Up to you. 

^^^^for real