By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion is turning 10 years old today.

Good times .. Good times ..

Around the Network

I absolutely adored it. Devoted over 450 hours in the game and installed some pretty awesome mods.

But I really feel old now!

Probabaly my most played game on 360.

Wish they put it on X1 BC. Would likely perform and load faster as does Fallout 3.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

My first Elder Scrolls and one of my favorite games of all time. I'll never forget the first time I emerged from that prison and looked across the lake at the vast world of Cyrodiil and realized I could go anywhere, do anything. Done multiple play throughs on 360 and PC, probably over 1000 hours total over the years.

Oblivion also introduced me to SureAI, one of the best modding teams out there. Nehrim: At Fate's Edge is an amazing total conversion I highly recommend.

i remember buying my xbox 360 2008 with gta4 and oblivion. i finished oblivion twice before even unpacking gta4

Around the Network
JGarret said:

It was released exactly 10 years ago. It was the first game that got me to buy the X360 and it was also the first game that made me think "now this IS next gen".

I have similar feelings to what you posted, with a huge difference. This game broke on me so bad I lost all my data. All of it. This was in addition to the fairly consistant, but managable bugs and crashes throughout my playthrough. It was the first game that made me sell my 360 ( not the only reason though) and it definitely made me think "Is THIS next gen"? Slightly off-topic: Fallout 3 on the PS3 was an  even worse experience. OOOOOOO! I don't like Bethesda!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

KungKras said:
Wow now I feel old.

It got really boring after a while because you would never out-level your environment so there was never a feeling of growth.

Luckily there's a PC mod that removes that.

This was an issue. The whole concept of ememies that scale to your level in an RPG defetes much of the purpose in leveling up.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Got this game and Resistance Fall of man with my PS3. Great game and worthy successor to Morrowind. I still prefer Morrowind though.

Wright said:

Best Elder Scrolls and one of the best games ever made. Even with the repetitive dungeon layout at times, and the "impactless" combat, it was amazing.

What made it so good, if I may ask? My honest opinion (although based off of very little playtime) is that it was a worse version of Skyrim.

I remember playing the game, getting out of the jail in the beginning, and roaming around not knowing what to do until a rogue wolf chased me into a pit of sorts whereupon I died. By that time I was so bored/frustrated with it that I never played it again.

I much preferred Skyrim but did spend some time exploring and adventuring in Oblivion. It felt a bit souless though. It was a technical masterpiece though with a strong sense of immersion in a virtual world. One of my first ps3 games but I also bought it on 360 later as well just to see if it played any different I think.