By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will a PS4.5 kill the PS4 momentum

Will a PS4.5 kill the PS4 momentum

Yes 114 35.85%

No 121 38.05%

Mayby 51 16.04%

Sony is doomed 32 10.06%

Total:318

If it lets me play Bloodborne and Driveclub at 60fps I'll upgrade.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

I'd prefer a PS4.5 commited to 1080P + 60FPS instead of 4K right now.

Birimbau said:
I'd prefer a PS4.5 commited to 1080P + 60FPS instead of 4K right now.

4k PS4-class graphics are probably not achievable (in 2016/7) with a mid-range cpu/gpu chip (like consoles would use it) anyway, even if it's based around AMDs new polaris/zen architectures

Wow people are so uncomfortable with Playstation being on top again. Lets start making stuff up guys. The gaming media cartel is at it again with their anti-playstation FUD. Sure is funny they almost completely ignored it when MS closed 8 game studios in one day. But now its "you better sell your PS4".

Why does this thread even here? there is a already existing thread discussing the same topic.

I remember how how the sales completely plummeted when the New 3DS was released. No one wanted to buy one anymore and every old 3DS owner began to loathe Nintendo and burned all their hardware and games.

Oh wait, that never happened. Wait, you say the sales even increased? Now that's weird.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
I remember how how the sales completely plummeted when the New 3DS was released. No one wanted to buy one anymore and every old 3DS owner began to loathe Nintendo and burned all their hardware and games.

Oh wait, that never happened. Wait, you say the sales even increased? Now that's weird.

But WiiU sales was hurt by the NX talk.. becourse people (at least me) wait to see what it is.. and when it comes.. So (imo) it could hurt PS4 momentum.. Not just if Sony talk more about a stronger PS4.. but also when (if) PS4.5 comes.. Some may think its better to wait for PS5

Does this mean at some point a few years down the line:

PS4 = 720p
PS4.5 = 1080p

and people that want the higher res and better looking games will need a 4.5?

as long as they play the same games, Im fine with it.

As most people already pointed out, if this is like the New 3DS, then no, it won't kill the PS4 momentum. However any other approach to it will kill it.

It's true that being a CISC architecture makes it a lot easier to be backwards compatible, but this doesn't have to be the primary concern in this issue. The matter of price, size and power consumption should be always first when a company develops a new product.

With AMD's Zen being a 14nm chip, a new Sony console with a much higher performance, lower production cost and lower power consumption is very much possible.

Question is, will this be a better solution than releasing a possible PS5 as an even better product say, in 2019?

Sony may do this do try to "kill the competition" and win the generation, but is it at all necessary? Sony already won this generation and if they play their cards right, they can win the next one with ease too.

One wrong step and it could also mean the loss of thousands of costumers and also developers.

I'd say no. I think it would hurt psvr sales more. Say the updating costs you another $299, add another $199 for psvr and you have a console that costs more than the initial ps3 $599 disaster.

It's not happening. The psvr could be the update or its just a slim model. Which almost seems inevitable.

I think it's too late for something like that to kill the PS4s momentum, but I'm not sure if releasing an incremental upgrade like that would actually be a benefit or do anything to actually spur sales. At least note yet. I'm seeing PSVR as a lifecycle extender which means the community should be good for at least the next 2 years. 2017 for a PS4 slim, and then 2018 for the PS4K? It just seems like there's a very noticeable change in refresh cycles coming off the heels of a 10+year gen that didn't do much in the way of evolving gaming. Surely 7th gen was transitional.