Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will a PS4.5 kill the PS4 momentum

Will a PS4.5 kill the PS4 momentum

Yes 114 35.85%

No 121 38.05%

Mayby 51 16.04%

Sony is doomed 32 10.06%

Total:318
HylianYoshi said:
The only effect this could possibly have on sales is positive. Some people will even get a PS4.5 even though they have a PS4 already, on top of those who were just buying for the first time.

If it happens, I'm going to upgrade! Better HDD, better performance, other bells and whistles? When it comes to consoles, I always want the best!

Around the Network

Ugh so much fail in that article as usual

But it looks like Sony might consider refreshing the PlayStation 4 with new hardware to meet and go beyond the 1080p 60FPS standard.
What 1080p60 standard???

Presently the PlayStation 4 literally doesn't have enough horsepower to maintain the high-resolution, 90FPS+, low-latency performance that virtual reality demands, so its PlayStation VR headset needs a separate processing box to function.
Except the box doesn't do anything extra processing wise.

From the source (it all leads back to Kotaku)
this ‘PS4.5’ will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR, the headset Sony will launch this fall.
4K for games LOL, segregating VR before it's even launched!

Kotaku UK EIC Keza MacDonald overheard some developers casually talking about the machine while on line at GDC. They mentioned the name ‘PS4.5’ and discussed its increased horsepower, mentioning both 4K resolution and PlayStation VR.
Great source!

Of course it is possible to make a new model with vr port built in and the extra audio processing and video scaling from that box and sell it bundled with a VR headset. The same as later 360's had wifi built in, instead of a dongle.
PS4.5 would be a stupid idea.

PS4.5 will be slimmer, and stronger. Believe it!

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Soooo This will be another New 3DS Strategy? 

GribbleGrunger said:
For me it would be a yes, but isn't it obvious this is just Sony making sure MS know that if they took that route they'd follow too. It's chess folks, just like when Sony reminded the press and MS that they'd been doing cross play for years. It's an internal game we see from the outside.

Just like Kinect and PSMove? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I doubt it, everyone expects a new version around this time anyways.

Around the Network

I disagree. I think it would at worst stay flat. It would be like releasing a PS4 Slim, or what Nintendo did with N3DS... I'm sure it would improve its momentum/sales a bit.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
I disagree. I think it would at worst stay flat. It would be like releasing a PS4 Slim, or what Nintendo did with N3DS... I'm sure it would improve its momentum/sales a bit.

It's the 'wait and see' crowd you have to worry about. But as I've said before this is just Sony giving MS the nod just in case they decide to go down the upgrade route. MS would only benefit from the strategy if the opposition doesn't follow suit. Its a quiet word in the lift before you get to the office.

The PS5 Exists. 

by the time this PS4.5 release, it will be 399 and the original will be 249~299, so that parents can still buy the cheaper model for their children and core gamers can go for the 4.5...

HokageTenshi said:

by the time this PS4.5 release, it will be 399 and the original will be 249~299, so that parents can still buy the cheaper model for their children and core gamers can go for the 4.5...

Yep! That was one of the positives with the DS ----- > DSi    and now the 3DS ----> NEW3DS 

And I guess the same with those slim models? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

not at all. They should just call it PS4K and it would be understandable for the public, make PS4 and PS4K compatible with each-other going forward