By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic has no standards, we need a curated list of reviewers.

In my opinion metacritic has become utterly worthless for judging the quality of games even in so far as the 100 point scale is flawed. 

The problem is that the contributing reviewers are not uniform accross each release and are hel to no standard. Then you have some sites fishing for clicks by putting up shockingly low scores. 

I sometimes see sites appear from nowhere and review one game (i.e. BioGamerGirl) and then disappear into the ether afterwards.

I have found myself buying games based on high metas such as Dragon Age Inquisition, which I ended up hating. Then games with (relatively) low metas such as Alien Isolation and Drive Club have been some of my favourites. One of the games I consider best in it's genre Infamous Second Son only got 80. 

I find myself depending more and more on betas and impressions from here and NeoGaf for something I can depend on.

Do you think a curated list of reviews, with a maximum number (eg. 10) allowed would help give less *homogenous and possibly more reflective averaged scores / weighted average?

*By homogenous, I mean the meta's are more and more skewing towards in and around 80 (a range from low - 75, to high - 85)

Around the Network

Friend of mine named Ryuu told me about a website called Opencritic. They apparently have some standards compared to Metacritic. Maybe give that a try.

Nah, the scores are pretty accurate.

It kindra avgs out... so all the clickbait scores ect, have smaller inpacts.
That said even if something scores high on meta critics, I might not like it, and the other way around.

Best advice is to never buy stuff blind, wait for gameplay videos to surface... or demos/beta's.

The best review source..... is YOU! Which you already mentioned in the OP.

I can watch a 5min gameplay video on Youtube and be able to make a decision. I know what I like and dont like! 3 page reviews, or numbers, or the amount likes.... Superficial shit.

Btw, a review is not to tell you what to buy and not to buy or what to like and not like. It gives yoy pros and cons based off SOMEBODY elses taste. You still have to make the choice based on YOUR taste.

If somebody hates anime art directions and you like em.._ of course theres going disagreement Duuh

Depend on you

Around the Network

If you think game reviewers are bad, try movie reviewers. They seem to randomly give numbers within 0 to 10 range and see no problem spoiling the entire movies outright, like Washington post reviewer did to recent terminator movie. Anyway everything seems to have some kind of refund system nowadays so just google if the game has gamebreaking technical issues and if not try for yourself.

Wait, what?

Just because you hated DA:I doesn't mean the game is bad

spemanig said:
Nah, the scores are pretty accurate.

This. 

I've yet to see a game of my personal taste where I greatly disagreed with the overall metacritic. The closest would be the Final Fantasy XIII series where I'd deduct about 10 points from each entry.

You shouldn't buy games based on reviews tbh. As far as metacritic goes the only thing that needs to change is the user reviews.

I'd like to point out that Metacritic weighs different reviewers differently. They don't all get the same weight in the final score. That is, less reputable publications shouldn't have a very big effect on the final score. Of course if there's a lot of them, it's still going to be noticeable.