By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Should VGC Have User Submitted News Articles?

Ultrashroomz said:
Reminds me a bit of Nintendomination, how we're encouraged to find any news related to Nintendo and help spread the word.

It'd be a very interesting concept to see implemented, and it could help benefit the site if done correctly.

Oh! Sorry I didn't see this! It's kiiiinda like that. I think it's more like news threads if they actually followed the rules of no plagerism hahaha.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Slarvax said:

Was that a Doctor Who reference? I hope it was

Again, I kind of agree, but it seems complicated for what Trucks would have to do. Mostly because of the way the site was built. There's also the fact that Machina has to read this (as per usual)

Oh and btw, I'm the most inexperienced writer on the site. So there might be other stuff going on that I don't know. Trying to help as much as I can, but I'm not the best to ask

What!? It wasn't unfortunatly, but I'll try to throw one in here that is not-so-subltly fantastic!

Oh yeah, I'm definitely not trying to underplay that it would take work. I am just not sure that it would be so unreasonably complicated that it wouldn't be worth implementing. I thing the benefits would sort of outweight the initial workload once the cogs got moving. This also isn't really something I necessarily think need to be implemented exactly now. I just think that I would be worth a look as a way to positively impact the articles in a way that effectively utilizes the community that Machina (and myself believe it or not) holds to such a high regard that he was insistant in it's remaining focus on the main page.

You are much more experienced than I am lol so you'll know better than me. Plus you're a writer. Writers are cool.

There were three references. One is obvious. One is less obvious. One I'm sure you'll miss.

I got 2 (although I dont remember the obvious one (how do I get it then!?)). I can so hear the last sentence with Matt Smith's voice.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:

I got 2 (although I dont remember the obvious one (how do I get it then!?)). I can so hear the last sentence with Matt Smith's voice.

Hint: 9, 10, and 11. I think you got 9 and 11. 10's is more obsure because it's not a catch-phrase.

its time for a poll...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:
Don't we sort of get news threads mades daily? At least when there is new news posted. It may be directly copied, but I feel there is usually news posted on the site.

Well news is posted on every forum, but that's not the point I'm getting at lol.

I wonder what difference would it be if we adopted this idea and what would be the benefit?

It would seem to me it would be just more work for people to post news for perhaps the same or less of a payoff than just copy/pasting news.

And what would happen to people who posted news before? Would their submissions be rejected then?

I dunno if people would be interested in having to do more work just to post news. I think the reason we see people post news with very little original text from the poster is that it seems like a rat race to post news first and get the benefit of points. All the extra effort of arranging it as your own is pointless as someone will likely beat you to the punch.

I think it could or could not be a good idea, as it could just discourage people from posting news in general. Though it could mean we would get higher quality posts, haha.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
I don't think that would really work. It would be difficult to keep the quality up and to prevent trolly stuff from being posted. Sure you could have editors checking stuff before it goes up, but Machina already does that for the writers anyway. It's not an instant process and he has to take the time to look through things and make any necessary adjustments. You mention that sometimes news is on the forums before it is posted in an article, but I've seen times where it was in an article ready for edits/approval before it was in a thread too. User submitted ones are still going to hit that hurdle. Hiring more editors as you propose is an option, but what are the chances they can instantly make user submitted articles not only correct and to the point but also have a cosistent layout across VGC and have all the correct references in the right places? IIRC some of the writing team are able to self edit/publish their stuff but that takes a long time and is pretty rare.

So yeah, the editing job that needs to be done is a pretty big task, especially if the number of articles is going to see a substantial increase. And worse it's a pretty thankless job too.

Well what the Editor admins are doing isn't what Machina does at all. There job would be to look for good articles, not edit everything. They'd be the middle man between a poster and Machina. They'd pick the first well-done news article on a specific subject, edit what they think needs to be edited for final review, and submit that.

Machina himself wouldn't be reading through all of the user submitted content. He'd just be reading the editor-approved content. If they are doing their job correctly, it should be no different for him on his end than it currently is now. By the time the article reaches him, all of the curation and 99% of the editing will have already done.

As for the articles being written, there would be strict guidelines being placed on how the article should be done. Users would go in knowing that the more stictly they adhere to these guidelines, the more likely their articles will be chosen by an editor for publishing. If you're a user wanting to break news before anyone else, you're insentivised to write your article with the utmost quality, because if you don't someone elses article will be selected over yours. I use the word "editors," but what they really are are curators. Their job is primerily to chose the best articles and discard the others - It's not to edit everything. That would be unreasonable.

If there are a dozen really badly done articles submitted about some division news, none of them will get picked. It's quality over quantity. The "editors" are just their to sift through the nonsense and find the quality. The easy to understand guidelines on top of the inate competition formed from wanting your article to actually get chosen would be what naturally raises the general quality of these user submitted article.

One could say that being a mod or Game DB admit are "thankless jobs" too, but people are still happy to do it.

Machina said:

Yeah my concern is along similar lines to Ka-pi. The theory behind user-submitted news is fine, it's the editing that will be the major hurdle. 

- The key difference between a user submitted news piece that'd be suitable for the main page and between the usual forum news posts is that the former needs to be written up by the writer in their own words so that it's not plagiarised, they need to add images, a banner, do a rudimentary spellcheck, and conform to some basic guidelines (how to source, how to properly link to Tweets, italicise games, etc.). Honestly, it's more involved and time consuming than non-writing staff realise. When you post a story on the forums you can literally copy/paste and leave a link to the source at the end. Much easier, much faster; it's one key reason the forums are quicker with the news.

- Editing is quite time consuming, at least if done properly, and good editors are hard to come by. At present it's just me. Some writers can self-publish (Will, Tyler, Nick) but you'll notice that their output is inevitably not as polished. That's not a slight against them - they do good enough jobs for me to allow them to self-publish and their first drafts are better quality than any of the others for the most part - it's just a fact that if written work isn't checked over by someone else then it will likely include more errors. If we adopted this idea we'd probably have a very small team of people that are capable of editing, and so you encounter the same problem whereby stories are held up waiting for edits.

Other concerns are less important but I do have a couple:

- Is there genuine interest in this? Would we get a lot of people submitting stories? Not just in the first week but long term. We'd need to for it to be worth the time on Trucks' part setting it up.

- Would we have enough editors? When we had a proper GameDB only a handful of people bothered to work through approving others' submissions, and of these by far the most dedicated is no longer with us (oliist). And that was a much less time consuming and demanding role than editing articles. They'd need to go into the article and correct spelling mistakes, correct grammar and punctuation, make sure the source is listed in the proper format, make sure the images were crisp and not watermarked, that the banner was suitable and would fit the boxes on the front page properly, that game names were properly spelt out and italicised, that the story's name was properly capitalised and accurate, etc. There are guidelines for all of this but existing writers often fail on a couple or more of these points each time, which is why we have an editor system for staff. When dealing with content produced by regular users it'd be an even bigger job than normal in editing terms.

To the first point, I understand all of that. What I'm proposing is that anyone submitting a news article to the site be equipped with guidelines fully detailing just how these news articles must be done, with the warning that no articles that fail to adhere to these guidelines would be selected. I'm not suggesting that users copy-paste news articles and submit that. I'm suggesting that more passionate users would go to this terminal, submit a news article that adheres to the guidelines, and then have these editors sort through that. I'm definitely not trying to imply that writing a news article doesn't take time and effort, I just think that it would be much easier to have news posted in a more timely manner if it were done this way. Maybe I'm just an idealist, but I have faith that, when presented with a clear set of rules and guidelines, most of the content submitted will be of a high quality.

To the point about editors, maybe editors was a poor choice of word. They are primerily curators. They are meant to be a middle-man between the users and you. Their primery job would be to select good articles in the first place. Their job is to read through the articles, select the first one of a high quality that adhere to the rules and guidelines effectively, edit that, and then submit the curated articles to you for the more rudementary edit. Again, I'm not trying to say that anyone isn't doing their job correctly, but I understand why the writing staff can't feasibly be awake 24/7 to write an article on every single piece of breaking news as it happens when they are freelance, and I think it's clear to most of us that many of the news articles written here are done one after the other in quick succession as a means of catching up with what was missed for the day. This is just a proposition to alleviate that. The idea is that if 20 members each submit one good article as soon as it breaks, each of those articles will be posted faster than the way it's being done now and there will be less articles to make up for at the end of the day.

To the third point, that is my biggest concern. Like I said, I can only speak for myself here. My idea came from how active the Game DB was, and specifically how Trucks (this is Will, right?) said that the reason this was so successful was because users would rush to post and update game information on their favorite games/games they were interested in as soon as it came out. My thought process was pretty much the same for this. The articles submitted would therefore come from a user's want to post news about a game they're excited for or a console they have an affinity for, but as for the longevity of such a system, I don't know. I do think that it should award badges and Gamrpoints as an incentive, but again, I'm basing much of the potential success of such a system on heresay from the days of the Game DB.

And to the final point, I also don't know. I didn't really consider that the approved editors might not actually be active in doing the job they applied for, so that would obviously be an issue. The three-tier system I outlined would help alleviate some of that workload, as well as the guidelines for the writers, but I really don't have a concrete answer for that, as it would really depend on everyone doing what they're supposed to. Again, ideally the mod approved editor-curators would pick the articles they need to do the least work editing, edit that, and then submit those to you or any other "real" editors for final approval. But as for how reasonable of work that would be, I can't say.

Ka-pi96 said:

Which would still mean things wouldn't be posted straight away, as I mentioned before articles are often up for publishing before the threads go up. I don't really see how this would change that.

Would it really incentivise people to make high quality articles? Some people, yes. But I've no doubt there would be some people routinely submitting low quality ones too. Chances are only a very small number of people (let's not forget that only a small number of people bother with thread making too) will put in the time and effort needed to make a good attempt at an article. In which case why not just make them writers in the first place?

But it would mean that they would be posted faster than they are now, which is my point. The point isn't to get news articles up the second news breaks, it's to end the end of the day waterfall of catch up news articles we often get. Posting news an hour or two late is better than having news posted 12 hours late like is sometimes the case.

Well of course there would be low quality articles submitted. Those articles would just be denied approval. I also think it must feel pretty good merely being a user and seeing an article you wrote posted to the site being credited to you, so that would be an incentivisor as well. It's a big reason Buzzfeed is a big as it is.

I'm not expecting the same 5 people to write every user news article. Someone might only post a few. Some others might post a lot. That's why you don't make them writers. They might not want to be. They might just want to post a few articles. I post a lot of threads, but I don't want to be an Ambassador. It's the same line of thinking.

Cloudman said:

I wonder what difference would it be if we adopted this idea and what would be the benefit?

It would seem to me it would be just more work for people to post news for perhaps the same or less of a payoff than just copy/pasting news.

And what would happen to people who posted news before? Would their submissions be rejected then?

I dunno if people would be interested in having to do more work just to post news. I think the reason we see people post news with very little original text from the poster is that it seems like a rat race to post news first and get the benefit of points. All the extra effort of arranging it as your own is pointless as someone will likely beat you to the punch.

I think it could or could not be a good idea, as it could just discourage people from posting news in general. Though it could mean we would get higher quality posts, haha.

Well people post news on a forum for much different reasons than why they would be posting actual news articles. You post news articles to alert. You post news on a forum to discuss. I think the accolades of having your news article posted on the site far surpasses the little recognition you'd get for being the one to copy-paste a news article in a thread, so the difference isn't really comparable. You'd get points for this too, likely more, so there'd be that too.

I mean, the burn would be similar to making a news thread that is beaten by someone and locked after a bunch of people posted on it. I feel like that's a really weird, loser's-mentality way of looking at it though. The other way to look at it, the way I see it, is that if I write this news article as quickly as I can with the best quality that I can, I'm confident enough in myself and my ability to comprehend and adhere to the guidelines presented to me to know that mine will be the one selected.

I don't think it will discourage people from posting the news at all though, since forum posts are done for a different reason and are held less accountable.

No, we already have threads for that. I really don't see this idea working out, the time needed to check the articles and publish them makes it worthless.

You can just copy the news, post it and let people discuss in a thread. You also win points that way.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"