By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes - Is the death of consoles inevitable?

Wait, did no one actually read the article? He's not dooming anything. He's just saying that the definition will be changed.

Around the Network

Consoles won't last very long. Soon it will all be a service. The cost for r&d is too expensive. AAA games will also start being more episodic to combat high costs.

there will always be Nintendo and Sony PlayStation Hardware available just like there is still Apple Macs available. And unlike Apple, Nintendo and Sony make the content youre actually consuming on the hardware

spemanig said:
Wait, did no one actually read the article? He's not dooming anything. He's just saying that the definition will be changed.

Yep they will evolve and adapt, its like saying people no longer watch TV or rent movies because Blockbuster no longer exists and cable subscriptions are declining when in reality those have just evolved into things like Netflix, Hulu & Redbox.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

i have been hearing that since so many years now, and there you have the ps4 selling more at launch than what the ps2 sold at its launch.
there are millions of people who prefer playing on consoles for many reasons and they will not become "pc only gamers" in the blink of an eye, because pc isn't perfect either so that's why consoles keeps being successful.

Around the Network

I will buy the system where I can find mainline Pokemon games. More points if it is a handheld.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

spemanig said:
So yeah, the death of traditional consoles is inevitable. And thank God for that. It's like consoles are the Flintstones and they are next door neighbors to the mobile, book, film and TV Jetsons. We're living in the stone ages still for no good reason.

that's a little over exaggerated to say, why do all have to become digital only? just to fullfil some kind of "futuristic" movie-scenario were technology and digital stuff is 100% indispensable in our lives? if people really wanted to only buy digital-only stuff then why did the ps4 sold even faster and better at launch than what the ps2 sold at its launch more than 16 years ago? and why the retail stuff keeps being successful? consoles might evolve in some form maybe in the future but currently they are not even close of dying at all.

I'm predicting a NetfliX type service that can be installed on almost any device will replace consoles. Take that with a grain of salt though.

Snoopy said:

Consoles won't last very long. Soon it will all be a service. The cost for r&d is too expensive.

I honestly think entry level will keep falling, and the "good enough" part for tech and consoles will mean, its cheaper to sell people a console unit, than the upkeep for services will be. R&D isnt a issue, and even with a service there would be other issues that are equally costly (such as constant updates and compatability with lots of differnt units).

Also I think most people prefer owning a console unit, vs just haveing some service you could run on your pc or tablet (less appeal).

Stuff like data caps, input lag, service lag, ect will always be there compaired to a physical console  (its a lesser experiance).

IMO: consoles arnt going anywhere.

JRPGfan said:

Also I think most people prefer owning a console unit, vs just haveing some service you could run on your pc or tablet (less appeal).

Perhaps, but take a look at what services like Netflix/Hulu/Spotify/Pandora have done for movies & music.

It doesnt have to be just PC or Tablet, Playstation Now is compatible with Smart TV's & Smart Blu-Ray players. I imagine it would work on streaming devices like Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast as well. That would increase the potential userbase significantly compared to a $300-400 gaming box.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.