Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Pokemon Gold/Silver a Game Boy *Color* exclusive?

Tagged games:

Are they Game Boy *Color* exclusives?

Yes. 7 36.84%

No. 8 42.11%

Remember my super cool Ra... 4 21.05%

Total:19
the_dengle said:

Come on, that's cheating. Besides, GBA hadn't even launched yet when Gold & Silver were released. Am I to understand that any exclusive game loses its exclusivity upon the launch of a backwards-compatible successor?

Yes.

Its the reason why I didnt buy a PS1 but a PS2 instead for my PS1 games.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Why is this an issue, like Pokemon Black and White it has exclusive features on the newer iteration of the handheld but is still playable on the older versions

It's not an issue. Just a curiosity.

Well, as far as this example is concerned this is not an issue.

ktay95 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
The Gameboy and Gameboy Color thing has always gotten me thinking as well. For instance, the original Gameboy did NOT sell over 100 million units but for some reason, it's officially listed as such because everyone lumps the Pocket and Color Gameboy into the same line. It doesn't make any sense.

Next you will tell me DSi shouldnt count as the DS family of systems and New 3DS isnt apart of the 3DS family

GameBoy Color is just another member of the GameBoy family and sales should be counted as such. 

So should the Advance be counted into the sales of the original Gameboy? Where is the line drawn? 

It's cross-gen.

AlfredoTurkey said:
ktay95 said:

Next you will tell me DSi shouldnt count as the DS family of systems and New 3DS isnt apart of the 3DS family

GameBoy Color is just another member of the GameBoy family and sales should be counted as such. 

So should the Advance be counted into the sales of the original Gameboy? Where is the line drawn? 

No the GameBoy Advance is exactly where we draw the line

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Your facts are 30% inaccurate sir.

TBH this is actually the first time I've heard that some Gameboy Colour games couldn't be played on the original Gameboy. I thought they all could?

But regardless of that if Gold/Silver could then there's no way to call them a Gameboy Colour exclusive since they simply aren't.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Every game that was marketed as "Gameboy Color" but was on a regular shaped cartridge could be played on the classic Gameboy, that was intentional. There's plenty of those games. Link's Awakening is another, I think there's even a few cases where it's the other way around.

The only difference was that "Color" games never had a standard grey cartridge but were always colored (I think usually they were black). The "Color" games that had a cartridge where the top banner stuck out (thick instead of hollow, like how 3DS cartridges have that hook on it preventing them from being used in DS's) were the ones that weren't compatible with older Gameboy models. These were usually only late Gameboy games. The back of game boxes of games released after the Gameboy Color came out also mentioned which models a game was compatible with.

Those Pokemon games were "Gameboy exclusives", but not exclusive to only the Color model. The correct answer is "No", because the back of the box said so.

the_dengle said:

There are Game Boy Color exclusives like Pokemon Crystal that could not be played on other Game Boy hardware iterations available at the time. So are Pokemon Gold and Silver, released in 1999 and marketed as Game Boy Color games, considered exclusive to that platform, even though other Game Boy models capable of playing the games had been on shelves for over a decade?

It's a similar situation with Xenoblade Chronicles 3D on the New 3DS. So that game is (handheld) exculsive to the New 3DS because it can only be played on that specific model. However the new 3DS is a new model of an already existing platform, not an entirely new platform, so you could say it's exculsive to the 3DS family and still be correct.

The GBC is basically an upgraded Gameboy, although different enough that is has to be distinct but not different enough like the GBA to classify itself as an entirely new platform. At least that's how I think of it anyways, some people may disagree and suggest the GBC is it's own platform different from the Gameboy.

Since Gold and Silver are playable on both the GBC and GB then it can't be an exculsive of either, but it is exculsive to the 8bit Gameboy systems.

AlfredoTurkey said:
ktay95 said:

Your facts are 30% inaccurate sir.

Only 30%?? Sweet, thats a new high for me. Im getting beter at this facts thing