By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will VR gets an similar destiny like the Wii ?

Agree?

Yes, VR wont get erstablished 29 47.54%

No, VR is the future of modern gaming 26 42.62%

Results 6 9.84%

Total:61

the Wii motion controls sucked, i would hope the VR works much better

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Killer app for VR: Myst was a great surprise hit with universal appeal back in the day. A slow exploration adventure where you can really examine the environment might work. The big selling point of Myst was immersion.

I imagine something like Endless Ocean in VR, just on the mini-sub. There's an old OR demo called Deep Echo where you are in mini sub and though very basic "gaming" experience, it was my first VR experience where I knew this craze is something else.

All folks from work who tried it where blown away as well with immersion VR enbles...and funny thing is, all of them (myself included) tried to grab and interact with things around the cockpit, which is currently major flaw of OR vs VIVE for such titles.

You have no imagination.. VR will change everything..

I expect more than 1 billion that uses it before 2025..

Less explosive but I guess it Will Last longer

JNK said:

So i guess VR will be similar to the wii, maybe just not THAT popular (because of high prices).

1. Many people/gamer will be interested in VR. They will test it and think its cool, buy it.

2. They will use it alot for the first days/wekks.

3. They will recognize all the Disadvantages VR have (uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time, uncomfortable to setup each time before playing, display not as sharp, games not as impressive (graphical).

4. They will switch back to standart controller + tv. VR wont be used much after the first days/weeks of hype.

5. People hates VR.

There is a good chance that VR (for playstation and most likely other platforms aswell) will just amplify your gaming experience. If they allow for any game to be shown in 3d space (artificial screen) Then you would be able to use VR in a way that would allow you to play your games on a huge screen.

I don't understand what you mean by switch back to standard controller since you can use any controller in VR. The motion controllers are just best if you want direct player input like a hand in the game or something. You can still use a regular controller for a lot of the experiences.

Around the Network

The Wii was successful not only because of the new controller, but also because it was dirt cheap. VR on the other hand is expensive as fuck, which is why the masses won't care about it for the next few years. So all in all, I think it will be quite the opposite from the Wii. Slow start and sales rising over the years. I can't say if VR will be a great success though. That remains to be seen.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Not even remotely similar, one was a fad the other is a evolution of content digestion.
It will be used by all people like smartphones when the tech becomes the size of sunglasses.

Yes VR is going to be a popular gimmick for a while and then it will be forgotten.

VR will always stay a gimmick until it allows you to walk and do everyday stuff with it. As long as it'll isolate you from real world it'll stay a hardcore product.

Jazz2K said:

VR will always stay a gimmick until it allows you to walk and do everyday stuff with it. As long as it'll isolate you from real world it'll stay a hardcore product.

You could say the same about desktop computers.. But they are pretty popular. Sold hundreds and millions.