By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If VR Becomes a hit, What Happens to Xbox?

Xbox Only Gamers:

Aren't Interested in VR 99 26.90%

Will Probably Buy a PS4 (price permitting) 149 40.49%

Will Probably Buy a Rift or Vive for PC 40 10.87%

See Results 80 21.74%

Total:368
Swordmasterman said:
Chazore said:

Add to that the recent abandonment of PS Vita TV in Japan (their home territory).

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-vita-tv-discontinued-in-japan-345180.phtml

They just abandoned something that was selling nearly Xbox One levels on Japan, the VITA TV, is even worse than the PSP Go, in Sales, Playstation Vita, still selling and still geting support, even from Microsoft.

Nice b8 m8... 

Around the Network
Chazore said:
CosmicSex said:

What does PS Vita TV have to do with VR.  Did Sony abandon the Vita or just the poorly selling set top box.  

Oh its pointless.  Anyway, why don't you think that VR will be successful?  I keep hearing about price but I can't comment until PSVR is priced and we see what we are looking at.  The PS4 is many times cheaper than a VR ready PC, so that can't be the issue.  Or maybe you think that since PSVR will be cheaper that it will hinder the other headsets?  

Or maybe you tried VR and didn't like it?

So what's your main beef out of what I said?. You sound like beef is to be had because of me pointing out that Sony drops their products on a whim when it;s not doing PS4 level sales.

Why do I think it won't be successful?, I never said it will never be. I just don't see the time being right now and only on PS4 like some here are already claiming just by seeing prices of two VR devices they were never once going to invest in. VR on PC isn't just going to be for gaming though and that's what a few here seem to forget. It doesn't matter that it;s not doing made up gangbuster numbers (because this site loves to set the bar high from the get-go), what matters is where it's going to be used and how far it comes during the years. From my pov, I;m not even remotely interested in sales numbers, I'm far more interested in seeing how far it can go in a decade or two's time and seeing other apllications and fields for VR to be used in other than gaming.

The whole "it's cheaper=objectively better" really needs to stop ebcause it's entirely subjective. At the end of the day as there are markets that buy cheap little gizmos and cheap frills and then there are markets that buy premium products and premium joys, there is no single market that dominates everything and that is something that has to be accepted.

In the real world, a company isn't going to support a product that itsn't selling.  The resources can be applied to something else.  I'm not sure why you brought it up as though the Vita was just canned.   You have your reasons.  I don't want to argue over that.  

"It doesn't matter that it;s not doing made up gangbuster numbers (because this site loves to set the bar high from the get-go)"

I don't understand what you are trying to say.  Is this a response to the Wii U's numbers?  It sounds like you have a grudge but I can't make out what its with. 

Anyway, back on topic, If VR is successful, how do you think this will affect the Xbox One.  What about Xbox One gamers that want VR?  If Xbox One gamers show interest in VR, do you think Microsoft will respond by releasing its own device?  

This is the point of this thread.  Its not really about PSVR vs the world or any of that.  Its about what Microsoft does going forward.

Chazore said:
CosmicSex said:

What does PS Vita TV have to do with VR.  Did Sony abandon the Vita or just the poorly selling set top box.  

Oh its pointless.  Anyway, why don't you think that VR will be successful?  I keep hearing about price but I can't comment until PSVR is priced and we see what we are looking at.  The PS4 is many times cheaper than a VR ready PC, so that can't be the issue.  Or maybe you think that since PSVR will be cheaper that it will hinder the other headsets?  

Or maybe you tried VR and didn't like it?

So what's your main beef out of what I said?. You sound like beef is to be had because of me pointing out that Sony drops their products on a whim when it;s not doing PS4 level sales.

Why do I think it won't be successful?, I never said it will never be. I just don't see the time being right now and only on PS4 like some here are already claiming just by seeing prices of two VR devices they were never once going to invest in. VR on PC isn't just going to be for gaming though and that's what a few here seem to forget. It doesn't matter that it;s not doing made up gangbuster numbers (because this site loves to set the bar high from the get-go), what matters is where it's going to be used and how far it comes during the years. From my pov, I;m not even remotely interested in sales numbers, I'm far more interested in seeing how far it can go in a decade or two's time and seeing other apllications and fields for VR to be used in other than gaming.

The whole "it's cheaper=objectively better" really needs to stop ebcause it's entirely subjective. At the end of the day as there are markets that buy cheap little gizmos and cheap frills and then there are markets that buy premium products and premium joys, there is no single market that dominates everything and that is something that has to be accepted.

PSP Go, and PS Vita Tv, was doing porly, PS Vita TV, much less than 1 Millions, and PSP Go, was Selling much less than Xbox 360, on Japan, the PSP Go, was selling 14-30 Units per week, this is multiple times worse than Xbox One, you are just making it seems that Sony, stop of supporting Very Sucessful consoles, only because they are not on PS4 Levels, they will not stop of making Playstation Vita.

PSP Go, launched on november of 2009, on Japan, and look on the Sales numbers of July 2011, the Ranking chart of Japan.

- 3DS: 46,637 [UP] 23,694 (103.27%)
- PSP: 26,511 [UP] 178 (0.67%)
- PS3: 23,322 [UP] 422 (1.84%)
- Wii: 14,237 [UP] 1,169 (8.95%)
- DSi LL: 4,693 [DOWN] 188 (2.45%)
- DSi: 4,384 [DOWN] 341 (7.22%)
- Xbox 360: 1,734 [DOWN] 282 (13.99%)
- PS2: 1,405 [UP] 96 (7.33%)
- DS Lite: 131 [UP] 82 (133.93%)
- PSP Go: 14 [DOWN] 20 (58.82%)

Do you really think that  a Company need to support Systems that are doing less than 50-500 Units per Week on their Strongest Market ?, i think that even Bandai, or Square's Console sold more than PSP Go.

CosmicSex said:
Chazore said:

In the real world, a company isn't going to support a product that itsn't selling.  The resources can be applied to something else.  I'm not sure why you brought it up as though the Vita was just canned.   You have your reasons.  I don't want to argue over that.  

"It doesn't matter that it;s not doing made up gangbuster numbers (because this site loves to set the bar high from the get-go)"

I don't understand what you are trying to say.  Is this a response to the Wii U's numbers?  It sounds like you have a grudge but I can't make out what its with. 

Anyway, back on topic, If VR is successful, how do you think this will affect the Xbox One.  What about Xbox One gamers that want VR?  If Xbox One gamers show interest in VR, do you think Microsoft will respond by releasing its own device?  

This is the point of this thread.  Its not really about PSVR vs the world or any of that.  Its about what Microsoft does going forward.

I Think that they will be forced to wait for Holo Lens, and after Holo Lens's release they will try to release something else, they are marketing the Holo Lens, for a lot of time and would hurt the company if they release something sooner, but a VR Device made by Microsoft, is really possible, i think that even Google, and Apple, will follow it.

Swordmasterman said:

PSP Go, and PS Vita Tv, was doing porly, PS Vita TV, much less than 1 Millions, and PSP Go, was Selling much less than Xbox 360, on Japan, the PSP Go, was selling 14-30 Units per week, this is multiple times worse than Xbox One, you are just making it seems that Sony, stop of supporting Very Sucessful consoles, only because they are not on PS4 Levels, they will not stop of making Playstation Vita.

PSP Go, launched on november of 2009, on Japan, and look on the Sales numbers of July 2011, the Ranking chart of Japan.

- 3DS: 46,637 [UP] 23,694 (103.27%)
- PSP: 26,511 [UP] 178 (0.67%)
- PS3: 23,322 [UP] 422 (1.84%)
- Wii: 14,237 [UP] 1,169 (8.95%)
- DSi LL: 4,693 [DOWN] 188 (2.45%)
- DSi: 4,384 [DOWN] 341 (7.22%)
- Xbox 360: 1,734 [DOWN] 282 (13.99%)
- PS2: 1,405 [UP] 96 (7.33%)
- DS Lite: 131 [UP] 82 (133.93%)
- PSP Go: 14 [DOWN] 20 (58.82%)

Do you really think that  a Company need to support Systems that are doing less than 50-500 Units per Week on their Strongest Market ?, i think that even Bandai, or Square's Console sold more than PSP Go.

I don't think he was trying to make a logical argument.  I think some people are alarmed by the hype for PSVR.  And this arugument is just a hail mary pass. 

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:

I Think that they will be forced to wait for Holo Lens, and after Holo Lens's release they will try to release something else, they are marketing the Holo Lens, for a lot of time and would hurt the company if they release something sooner, but a VR Device made by Microsoft, is really possible, i think that even Google, and Apple, will follow it.

I lot of people don't realize that Holo Lense was a reaction to Google Glass.   I think that a VR product from Microsoft can coexist with an AR product like Holo Lens.   If I was Microsoft, I would split my bets on both Techs as to make sure that they come out with a relevent product either way. 

CosmicSex said:
Swordmasterman said:

I lot of people don't realize that Holo Lense was a reaction to Google Glass.   I think that a VR product from Microsoft can coexist with an AR product like Holo Lens.   If I was Microsoft, I would split my bets on both Techs as to make sure that they come out with a relevent product either way. 

Didn't they mention Oculus support? 

CosmicSex said:

Notice how I mentioned the "vita TV", not the actual Vita itself. You merely claimed I said the Vita system itself, not the small box that isn't a handheld portable that was created and sold back in 2012. My reasons to bringing it up were the fact that Sony doesn't tend to want to support the multiple devices they've brought over the years. PS move isn't doing absolute gangbusters despite copying the Wii mote chucks (just like how MS copied PS eye and how that went for them as well so don't think I'm just targeting one player, both have done shoddy support for their little gizmos), then of course there was the card game Eye of Judgement and how the PS eye being mounted and used with a think mat that didn't catch on and that idea faded with time. We have the PS Vita which even fans acknowledge Sony isn't paying much attention to (notice how I'm not saying "stopped supporting completely?, my main point is their lack of absolute commitment to their other devices and peripherals isn't anything to write home about and that of course is a glaring issue (MS ignored PC gaming for years but is only deciding to merge one platform into another due to the loss of this gen, but at least that's going towards committing to two different plats in the end, a comeback that will take years to procure which Sony could easily do with the Vita if they fully tried).
If I think it's successful has yet to be  a valid point in time, we don't even know if it will even know how it's going to start let alone finish. I doubt MS has a device of their own and they already had talks with OR, chances are they will be doing something possibly VR related for PC since it would coincide with their "merge" plans with X1 and Windows 10. If you strictly want to cut off one of MS's platforms like PC then I don't know what to say, what do you think a VRless console is going to do?.
I know the point of the thread but it's clear that we're allowed to talk about device support and of course include Sony, ergo including prior device support from either party can also be valid into determining how a future device will come to be and how it is supported. One must learn from the past in order to not repeat the same mistake.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

CosmicSex said:

I don't think he was trying to make a logical argument.  I think some people are alarmed by the hype for PSVR.  And this arugument is just a hail mary pass. 

Are we being completely down to earth here?, because I don't think we are.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
CosmicSex said:

Are we being completely down to earth here?, because I don't think we are.

Fair enough, lets move on.  I saw your comment about the Vita TV and I understand what you are getting at but at this point, there is tremendous  support for PSVR.  Its Sony, yes, but more importantly, its the dozens on developers that are currently making games for it.  Thats the point.  To me  thats what you should be looking at.   And that isn't just for PSVR.  All devices will need support.  THe move didn't recieve developer support.  Neither did Kinect.  

Love the House of Cards reference btw.