By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, Let's Talk About CGI And Game Development

CGI-Quality said:

Now these are guys I've talked to before. Altough this isn't for any gmaes, or on a game engine, it's certainly a glimpse at what should be possible (based on what I know/have learned) on at least one of the next generation machines. That is "PS5", "NX", "Xbox Next", in addition to, PC.

I would assume that would look nice by the time something like that graces PC but for the life of me I can't imagine an actual good use of AA and seeing something more like FXAA being thrown in. I really love nice looking games but I really hate super blurred edges/textures or jags everywhere.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

For anyone curious, I'm working on the model in the OP, right now:

He's actually a combination of different work from different places.

Your foolish CGI cannot match my beautiful, hyperrealistic creations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

I love these sort of threads, I hope to learn a little from it. I will try and participate as much as I can but for now, bed time. Excellent thread CGI, I will read through it tomorrow.

CGI-Quality said:

This model has a good amount of, "Hey! It's Nathan Fillion!" factor in it.

I love Square Enix's CGs, they are some of the best. I remember I used to watch Final Fantasy CGs all the time.

Anyway, amazing model. It looks really detailed and realistic, I just wish there was less hair on his arms. Anyway, good job! Will make sure to keep an eye on this thread as I'm a technology enthusiast as well.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Came expecting a CGI-Qualty thread, wasn't dissapointed

Dang it BraLoD, I was gonna say something like this yesterday. You beat me to it.. : P

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Hmm, so is this a thread about your CGI Work?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

BraLoD said:
Cloudman said:

Dang it BraLoD, I was gonna say something like this yesterday. You beat me to it.. : P

And you just quoted me today? XP

Yeah, I kinda forgot to say it yesterday... : X

Dance my pretties!

For years devs have been under the misconception that making characters look real is the the way to capture the essence of a human, but it's misplaced. Yes, it's important but it's not the most important thing. The most important thing is how they act and interact with the environment as you play. ND are actually pushing this to the next level and hopefully UC4 can improve on TLOU in this regard ... but that will be a tall order.

your character should never be static when you put down the controller, he/she should move as a human would move. We have those animations already but it doesn't take long for them to eventually recycle. What we need is a system of animations that has a huge library of single animations with the ability (depending on situation, mood, character etc) that are able to mix two animations together to form a new one, thus creating the illusion of a living, breathing character. Every single element of the game needs to be contextual too. If a character happens to love nature, he may pluck at wheat or run his fingers through it when he's cutting through a wheat field. If they have a fear of water they may hold their arms further above the surface of the water when crossing a stream. All these little animations help create the illusion of reality AND build character.

If you animated a stickman in a realistic way, you would hit the uncanny valley because the actions of the stickman are perfect but our brains won't have the 'human' normal reference points. This is the same as having something that looks real but doesn't animate in a 'human' way, which of course is the flip side of the argument.

Animations, contextual animations are for me the next big evolution of gaming. People think they have it now but they don't. Most of the animations are convenient for the devs to put in, like Nathan Drake touching a surface when he gets close to it. This is just an animation associated with 'closeness' but what we need now is animations associated with 'character'. Imagine searching for materials with Ellie and she suddenly just walks over to the book case, removes a random book and starts flicking through it? Or she might just stare at a painting of a deer for a long time which then informs the animation system on Joel to move over and gentry persuade her away by grabbing the crook of her arm. Spaces should be constantly filled with these 'human' things.

The PS5 Exists. 

CGI-Quality said:

No offense taken :)

@ boldThat's the idea. It has much to improve upon, but 10 years ago, it wasn't even possible. The thing is, many of these guys are working really hard to make things move more into what you're used to seeing in cinematics. The "mind-blowing" stuff hasn't even begun to be shown. I'd just like to see all interested getting ready, because it's about to be very, very impressive!

OT...

Naughty Dog's Uncharted 4 Tech Showcase (it's a whopping hour long):

The Nathan Drake model for Uncharted 4 is actually fucking insane and is certainly something I didn't expect to be possible with the current gen consoles. I'm actually really excited to see where this leads.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.