By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM forecasts

Mobile technology is advancing insanely fast, my phone puts the 3ds that I also just bought to shame, Nintendo's next handheld REALLY needs to pick up the pace.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (£98) vs New Nintendo 3ds (£150)

CPU - 2ghz Octacore VS 268 mhz Quadcore
Ram - 2gb Ram VS 256mb+10mb Vram
Screen - 1080p Multitouch Screen VS 240p 3d Screen + 240p Single Touch Screen.
Storage - 16gb Expandable VS 1gb + 4gb included card expandable.
Camera - 13mp Back, 5mp Front VS Stereoscopic Back 0.3mp Camera's, Front Facing 0.3mp Camera.
GPU - 550mhz VS 266mhz

As for mobile devices matching the PS4 and XBO in power by 2017? I still doubt it by the end of 2018 perhaps, though the games just aren't there for mobile yet so home consoles aren't under any threat, and Handhelds aren't completely doomed yet.

Around the Network

The problem with that is, that even if you got phones with similar specs to the consoles they likely wouldn't be able to replicate the visuals. Consoles produce the visuals they do, because of optimization.
With the vast selection of phones out there, the mobile market is much more comparable to the pc market. It will never get the amount of optimization neccessary to produce console like visuals on console like specs.
Not to mention the shitfest that the mobie market is right now and the considerable troubles of buttonless controls.
In other words, thats cool, but I don't think it matters.

Mike321 said:
Mobile devices will eventually be more powerful than both the Xbox one and PS4,

Maybe 30 years from now..... but until then... I say enjoy your PS4 & XB1.

Barkley said:

As for mobile devices matching the PS4 and XBO in power by 2017? I still doubt it by the end of 2018 perhaps, though the games just aren't there for mobile yet so home consoles aren't under any threat, and Handhelds aren't completely doomed yet.

Think about it a little more.

The PS4 is 90-100w of power usage, on 28nm.

How are you going to get that down to 3watts limit most smart phones have? in just 2 years? your not.

Even with 28nm --> 14nm FinFETs, you wont gain more than a 50% reduction in power consumption.

that 90watts the PS4 uses -> 45watts in about a years time or so.

To get a PS4 down to 3 watts for a smart phone,... you would need new technology, better than what we re useing now to make chips.

I dont even think at 7nm (which intel might at some point reach) will be able to make a PS4 use that little power.

You want a smart phone as strong as the PS4? give it 20-30 years and MAYBE... you ll see it then.

JRPGfan said:

You want a smart phone as strong as the PS4? give it 20-30 years and MAYBE... you ll see it then.

Woah, not a chance. 10 years MAX. I'd be very surprised if Mobile Devices aren't as powerful as a ps4 within 5 years.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
JRPGfan said:

Woah, not a chance. 10 years MAX. I'd be very surprised if Mobile Devices aren't as powerful as a ps4 within 5 years.

Your in for a surprise then.

Doubt you ll see a 2 Teraflop compute (graphics) capable GPU from a smart phone, in many many years.

More than 10 years.

Why? the laws of physics. I dont think AMD make bad designs for their APUs, maybe not the most power effecient cores & graphics, but overall decent (their low powered cores atleast).

ARM does better than x86 at low power... but if you scale them up in performance, they climb drastically in power usage.

ARM could make a core as strong as the one inside the PS4, but it would use more power than those currently in Smart phones.

Same is true for the GPUs, if you scale that up to work like the PS4s, you would end up useing alot more power.

I dont think 10 years will be enough time, to see smart phones as strong as PS4s.

My thinking is still 20-30 years down the road.

I bet those device will be really expensive if they exist at all in 2017.

Also, power isn't worth much if those devices don't have games at par with consoles.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Maybe CPU only. Not GPU in 2017. That's just PR bullshit.

We've heard this since 2014 and I've still not seen mobile games look better than even PS360 games. Hell they ported a 2007 game in Bioshock and it ran and looked like utter crap. We've seen all the GTA's on mobiles except GTA IV and onwards. The reason is they're not strong enough, if they were Rockstar would be quick to port them too. Even if the moment happens where mobiles are stronger, doesn't mean we'll suddenly see games looking better on them. See PC hardware and its exclusives, only a few from 1000s of indies can target the high end hardware.

BraLoD said:
RolStoppable said:

That's not what the claim was about. Don't be a sore loser.

What am I even losing? Seriously, Rol...

Well you were acting like people who said smartphones will be more powerfull than PS3/X360 were wrong but they were right and when someone points that out you try to spin it in a different way =p.