By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How often do you scan or computer for viruses and/or other risks?

BenKenobi88 said:
Never. I used to have an anti-virus installed, but it kept messing with certain games.

I uninstalled it and haven't bothered getting another. Haven't had any major problems in about a year. I have Vista.

My story is identical to yours.

I believe that anti-virus software installs viruses on people's computers just to make themselves feel useful. Anybody with anti-virus software always gets them. People without them (like me and Ben, here) never have any trouble. 

Around the Network

Heh... that's quite an interesting conspiracy theory samuel about AV programs bundling in viruses....

Basically if you aren't an idiot online you'll be fine without regular virus scans. My personal vista computer has no problems.

When Ever Norton or Spyware feels like it.
The norton checks are wayyy too long
and the spyware checks don't happen too often.
YES! i have two. softwares protecting me.

i heard trend micro is best security

consoles i own ps12 gba ds gc wii

i have no idea.. it just does whatever the hell it wants.. it might be scanning right now

Around the Network

you have to be careful with viruses, it's not just by visiting dodgy sites that you can get them. There are plenty of exploits around that can hide themselves in ad banners, facebook applications, etc.

Recently there has been a huge amount of SQL injection attacks that caused many big sites (coles online shopping, department of defense, etc) to start serving trojans to visitors.

Don't think that just by visiting only trusted sites you're safe from viruses. Keep your definitions up to date!

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I rarely scan for virus maybe once every 3months , but I scan for bots and defrag my computer 1-2times a week.

Never, Mac and Linux on all systems here.

Mac desktop
linux laptop

viruses = epic fail

I always have auto-protection off; I scan my computer at least once every 2-3 days though, mostly for spyware.