By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Predict the 2015 Oscar winners!- OP under construction, but feel free to make your predictions!

KLAMarine said:
Did Star Wars win anything?

Probably not. Nothing really stands out in that movie.

Around the Network

So glad that Ennio Morricone won. Also what is up with sub par Bond songs winning the Academy Awards. Live and Let Die, The Living Daylight and A View to a Kill are all much better then the two Bond songs that won.

spurgeonryan said:
Also Enjoyed Caprios speech! He deserved it.

Think you and seemingly 1 billion people around the world, but I have to say that the worldwide media campaign "Leo for Oscar !!!!!11!!" was one of the most ridicuous things I've ever witnessed in the weeks from nomination to show (I've been watching Oscar shows since the early 80s, yeah I'm old). Did Leo deserve an Oscar? Objectively yes, he's one of the best of his generation. Did I want him to win? I guess yes too, despite the almost disgusting campaign for him. Well, still better than seeing this Redmayne guy win a second time in a row (although I realistically guess that Damon got the 2nd most votes).

Now that there are really no borders of shamelessness at the Oscars anymore, I think someone should start a "Johnny Depp 2017" campaign, followed by "Robert Downey Jr. 2018". Both easily deserve one as well, and hey, it worked now for Winslet and Di Caprio.

And yes, Leo's endless speech. For some reason he was allowed to speak about 5, if not 10 times as long as all other winners (except Morricone). Ironically this show was actually to be meant to get rid of Hollywood's double standards... they can only do it one by one, I guess.

While the world media will write about Leo tomorrow, in fact this show was a triumph for plenty of Australian people (and a few American guys plus an English costume designer) who worked with George Miller on Mad Max: FF. Miller definitely enjoyed himself even though he personally won no Oscar this time.

My opinion besides Leo:
- The world's best mainstream movie of 2015 - Inside Out (fantastic screenplay and execution) - wasn't even nominated in the most important category. It won in the "Disney/Pixar/youonlywinhereifthefirsttwounderhwelmattheboxofficethisyear" category instead, but that was expected.
- I really enjoyed Chris Rock as host. He said some true things, e.g. "why are females and males even in different categories, this is acting, not track & field". His interview with people from Compton (right?) was one of the best and most entertaining parts of the show. "The Danish Girl, Bridge of Spies. These are all actual movies". "Na, you're kidding with me".
- Good to see Ennio Morricone now also win a regular one, but this leaves a bitter taste for me. Comparable to Scorsese, who's one of the 4 best and most influential living US directors and won for a lesser remake of a fantastic Asian movie, Morricone won for a comparably redundant score.
Also: Great to see Quincy Jones and Morricone together on stage, plus John Williams in the crowd and mentioned by Morricone in his speech. Three brilliant and legendary movie composers who won't be along us anymore in a few years.
- Morricone's win unfortunately means that Thomas Newman lost again, one of Hollywood's finest and most overlooked contemporary composers; 13 nominations if I counted correctly (incl. Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Finding Nemo); Keep composing, Thomas. Some day you'll win (but don't expect to be allowed to talk as long as Leo...).
- The only good nominated song was the one by The Weeknd (I will now check out his other songs), too bad it was for a movie which seems to be terrible; of course the Bond song won, it was the worst nominated song and easily one of the worst ever written for a Bond movie.
- It was good to see Whoopi (love her and always wished she had a better movie career; well at least she won an Oscar for one of her lousy Hollywood roles) and Louis Gossett Jr. (haven't seen this man in ages).
- I wished Sly had won.

Lawlight said:
KLAMarine said:
Did Star Wars win anything?

Probably not.

Good.

Pretty much agree with everything you said.  Sly did win a Golden Globe for his role which is almost as good as a Oscar.  So glad Ennio finally won a real one.  Realistically he should have won two or three before he go the honorary one in 2007.  Too bad Thomas Newman hasn't won one yet.  Of all his scores that got nominated The Shawshank Redemption is probably my favorite one.  He will probably win one eventually and if not he will at least get a honorary one eventually.

Around the Network

So the Academy Awards goofed big time by not including Abe Vigota in the live in memoriam tribute especially since Alex Rocco was included. Also since he has 220 acting credits not including Geoffrey Lewis was also a big goof.

Chris Hu said:

Pretty much agree with everything you said.  Sly did win a Golden Globe for his role which is almost as good as a Oscar.  So glad Ennio finally won a real one.  Realistically he should have won two or three before he go the honorary one in 2007.  Too bad Thomas Newman hasn't won one yet.  Of all his scores that got nominated The Shawshank Redemption is probably my favorite one.  He will probably win one eventually and if not he will at least get a honorary one eventually.

Right before the broadcast of the Oscar show there was a short and cute home story with Sly and his wife here on German TV (Stallone has many fans here). They showed his trophy room where his wife had put the Globe right beneath three real Oscars he obviously didn't win but were given by other people to him (I guess this means that these three are the Oscars for Rocky). He's very proud of the Golden Globe. I always liked this man even though I'm not a fan of most of his movies. Ironically my favorite Sly movie is "Oscar".

At least Stallone lost to an excellent actor. I haven't seen Bridge of Spies - probably never will, movies about our history bore me to death these days - but Mark Rylance is stunning as lead actor in the mini series Wolf Hall. Make sure to watch it someday if you haven't already.

My favorite movie score from Newman is Road to Perdition but my favorite overall score from him is the one for the TV mini series Angels in America. Fantastic score. Fun fact: Newman won a handful of Grammies, but he never won a Golden Globe either. His most famous score - the one for American Beauty - was nominated 16 years ago and he lost to - surprise - Ennio Morricone.

spurgeonryan said:
Chris Hu said:
So the Academy Awards goofed big time by not including Abe Vigota in the live in memoriam tribute especially since Alex Rocco was included. Also since he has 220 acting credits not including Geoffrey Lewis was also a big goof.

Conan at least gave him a tribute. Did you see it?

Don't have cable but it should be on his Youtube channel I check it out there.