By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does taking a game to kickstarter make you want it less?

I have no problem with kickstarter apart from companies with money asking for money from gamers.

KICKSTARTER should mean just that. A chance for someone new to kick start their project/company to success and hopefully grow beyond the need of kickstarter.

Around the Network

Not really, as long as the game is good, that is enough for me

But that said, I don't back Kickstarter games and usually don't get them either

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

What's the harm in it? These are, usually, small time developers with very little money. All they're asking is that with a little faith and some history of their previous work, maybe you'd want to help support a game they're making. Seems harmless to me.

It's not usually a choice, BTW. It takes tens of millions of dollars to make the average AAA title. People have to start somewhere. I find indie developers try way harder to make a good product, instead of just relying the developer's name to push sales.

I only really mind when big name companies try to kickstart things, it doesn't go well.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

i cant argue until i get to experience the final software i backed: Shenmue 3 and Bloodstained

Around the Network

The biggest issues, from the dev side of things IMO, are carefully but firmly managing investor expectations, as well as not going too balls-out-crazy with backer rewards. Also, going the kickstarter route means you will have other people's money in your hands and a commitment to finish what you promised. This might be the motivation necessary for some people to get off their duffs and finish something already, but for others it may seriously backfire.

Not really. Though I am cautious when funding games. If all they have is concept art and a lot of promise I tend to stay away, but if they have some gameplay then I am more inclined to to fund the project.

No, however I never back kickstarters because I don't trust those type of things.

I personally love a lot of games that have come out of successful kickstarters and it doesn't change my perception of the game at all.
If you run a professional, good kickstarter campaign, i'll be under the impression that you are reliable and know what you're doing.

I wouldn't fund a game that's for sure.