By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The CONFUSING Combat List from Street Fighter 3D edition made me not want SFV.

Darc Requiem said:
LMU Uncle Alfred said:
If Capcom really wanted to attract casual players with SF then they would consider maybe an option offline where you can unleash the best signature special moves/combos with simultaneous button presses as opposed to a string of inputs.

That would be incedibly short sighted. Players would never learn how to play the game. They have tried similar options with their crossover franchises with little success. 

They would never learn as they wouldn't be able to as easily or because it's different?  A simultaneous button press of two or more shoulder buttons, L3 and R3 or Triangle and Circle/Square and X hasn't worked before?

Lube Me Up

Around the Network

I'm positive this isn't the first thread where you complain about something that's so simple. I'm beginning to think that you're doing it on purpose. But if you're not doing this on purpose then you have difficulties grasping the simplest things in video games that a little kid can understand. When I started playing SF as a kid, the instructions were the same and I understood it easily.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
Darc Requiem said:

That would be incedibly short sighted. Players would never learn how to play the game. They have tried similar options with their crossover franchises with little success. 

They would never learn as they wouldn't be able to as easily or because it's different?  A simultaneous button press of two or more shoulder buttons, L3 and R3 or Triangle and Circle/Square and X hasn't worked before?

They wouldn't learn how to play. The game would be holding their hand. In addition they'd have to be segmented from other players in online modes. Because players that do know how to play could abuse the hell out of it.

Charge characters are broken on SSFIV for 3DS because players can map moves to the touch screen. For example, Guile's Sonic Boom starts up and recovers faster than other projectiles because it requires a charge motion. The touch eliminates the charge time thus breaking the move. 

I won't pretend that I'm a good Street Fighter player. That said, actually learning how to play the game has been helpful. I'm able to hop on any fighting game and grasps the basics. In addition, I like the sense of accomplishment whenever I win a match or lose a close match against a superior player. Why? Because I'm actually playing the game. 

Darc Requiem said:
LMU Uncle Alfred said:

They wouldn't learn how to play. The game would be holding their hand. In addition they'd have to be segmented from other players in online modes. Because players that do know how to play could abuse the hell out of it.

Charge characters are broken on SSFIV for 3DS because players can map moves to the touch screen. For example, Guile's Sonic Boom starts up and recovers faster than other projectiles because it requires a charge motion. The touch eliminates the charge time thus breaking the move. 

I won't pretend that I'm a good Street Fighter player. That said, actually learning how to play the game has been helpful. I'm able to hop on any fighting game and grasps the basics. In addition, I like the sense of accomplishment whenever I win a match or lose a close match against a superior player. Why? Because I'm actually playing the game. 

It's true that in most fighting games even at a professional level you will never need to use the combos or specials that often, as the quick single button attacks are what you will be utilizing the most; even in a single player mode.

I'm suggesting that this be offline only strictly speaking and not allowed in sanctioned live tournaments.  This is more for the sake of fun for those that just want to pull off those special moves or combos.  Wouldn't this extend the game's life?  Assuming you're a casual player, or for that matter a hardcore gamer (not of the fighting genre) that just doesn't feel like memorizing button presses and constantly getting them wrong in-match with a CPU.

Edit:  I'm referring more to the Ultra combos and higher level moves that most casual players or anybody not considering ever going online or at tournaments will never attempt on a regular basis.  Not Guile's Sonic Boom or Ryu's Hadoken.  The moves that required mostly ALL the gauges to be full.

Lube Me Up

Please continue letting us in on every thought that comes into your head.