By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - ioi's response to critics

ioi said:
If my Wii figures are 30k too low one month and 40k too high another month then does it really make a big difference?

We get this accuracy by a number of means, many of which are kept under wraps for good reason and many of which we are improving more and more every week.

GAF don't like what I do because it represents doing something different. It is successful and getting a lot of attention.

As I have said on a number of occasions, we do not use NPD, Media Create, Famitsu, Chart Track, GFK or any other tracking firms data.

I couldn't help noticing how you're switching between I and we rather freely here. Aside from the users and volunteer mods, is it just you working the site behind the scenes; updating the numbers and adding features? I can't recall seeing anyone else acting as an admin, or using we to refer to the site as a whole, rather than the users of the forum or what have you.

I really love what you're doing here, but can't help my curiosity.

Around the Network

Parokki - there's a couple others behind the scenes who don't post on the forum. PinkPoop - does NPD post a list of which retailers they collect data from? Do you then doubt their validity? They had to start somewhere, right?

I'd have to say the thing that impresses me the most about VGChartz right now is the fact that they are able to obtain accurate data within days of the end of a week. And by accurate, I mean accurate and not precise. But as it has been pointed out ad nauseam, It's impossible to have data that is both accurate and extremely precise.

Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with revising data after initial estimates have been made once more data is available. The U.S. Department of Commerce revises it's GDP estimates three times after the initial estimate, spaced three months apart each, so that final economic data isn't available for over a year after it's actually happened. Complaining about or criticizing VGChartz because it revises its data is either silly or asinine.

And I took a quick look over at that NeoGaf site.  They definitely rank quite low on the maturity scale, and seem quite irrelevant.

-Manella: Yeah... sux0rz! I hate missing out on food...
-Maya: Nick... what does "Sucksores" mean?
-Phoenix: No idea...

EEPiccolo said:

I'd have to say the thing that impresses me the most about VGChartz right now is the fact that they are able to obtain accurate data within days of the end of a week. And by accurate, I mean accurate and not precise. But as it has been pointed out ad nauseam, It's impossible to have data that is both accurate and extremely precise.

Accurate is a synonym of precise.

In technical terms, they're actually quite different. Accurate - how close you are on average to the true value. Can be lots of close together shots or lots of scattered shots still centered correctly. So if VGChartz is somewhat far off, but sometimes over, sometimes under, sometimes dead on, etc, they can still be very accurate but not very precise. Precise - how close your shots are too each other, ie: a tight cluster, regardless of how close that cluster is to the true value. So if VGChartz were always 20% over on all its figures, it'd be extremely precise, but not very accurate. Ok random off-topic note over. :P