By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Twilight Princess HD – improvements for Epona and swimming, chests remain open

Over the past few weeks, we’ve continued to learn about how The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess improves upon the original game. The Wii U title features things like sharper visuals, easier transformations and gyroscope aiming, plus faster animations and better load times. This month’s GamesMaster touches upon even more of the improvements.

In a short article which also contains a few comments from Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma, the magazine reveals that Epona handles better and Link has increased mobility while swimming. “Looking back now, getting the controls for both land and water just right has proven to be a big challenge throughout the series,” Aonuma said.

GamesMaster also touches upon another change regarding chests in Twilight Princess HD:

In the original, if your wallet was full and you opened a chest that contained Rupees, the Rupees would remain in the chest and its lid would close. The problem here being that in previous games players used open chests to know they’d visited a location, and this change meant they could no longer do that. Aonuma and his team considered this and reimplemented chests that remain open after you interact with them.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-twilight-princess-hd-improvements-for-epona-and-swimming-chests-remain-open/

Around the Network

Nice to hear about some of the gameplay tweaks.

I never had a problem with swimming in the original, but controlling Epona was often a hassle, so it's good that's been addressed.

Changing from between human and wolf with a touch of the pad should also be a welcome convenience.

Question about the gyro aiming in Wind Waker; was it akin to the aiming in Splatoon?

curl-6 said:

Nice to hear about some of the gameplay tweaks.

I never had a problem with swimming in the original, but controlling Epona was often a hassle, so it's good that's been addressed.

Changing from between human and wolf with a touch of the pad should also be a welcome convenience.

Question about the gyro aiming in Wind Waker; was it akin to the aiming in Splatoon?

The gyro aiming in Windwaker is very similar to the aiming in Splatoon. I found it very handy for lining up the hookshot and bow quicker.

I wonder what else gameplay tweaks they include in TP HD.

And people will still call it a lazy remaster despite all the retexturing, much improved controls (thanks to the gamepad), better Epona and swimming controls, faster animations (especially climbing), Cave of Shadows, increased rupee count, new wallet that can hold up to 9999 rupees, chests stay open even if you have no more room for rupees, new Poe lantern that we don't know what it does, new hard mode, less tears to collect, improved loading times, changing from Link to Wolf Link without talking to Midna, etc.

Remasters like Shadow of the Colossus barely even redid textures and didn't get nearly as much hate.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

No, it was better. It's the same in the 3DS games btw.

One of my favourite uses of motion controls.

Do I still need to be reminded of the value of a blue rupee every time I turn on the game???

Have a nice day...

I like how it looks, yeah sure it's not the best remake but I love that game so a better version is a good thing!

Alkibiádēs said:

And people will still call it a lazy remaster despite all the retexturing, much improved controls (thanks to the gamepad), better Epona and swimming controls, faster animations (especially climbing), Cave of Shadows, increased rupee count, new wallet that can hold up to 9999 rupees, chests stay open even if you have no more room for rupees, new Poe lantern that we don't know what it does, new hard mode, less tears to collect, improved loading times, changing from Link to Wolf Link without talking to Midna, etc.

Remasters like Shadow of the Colossus barely even redid textures and didn't get nearly as much hate.

I think main problem with TP HD is that doesnt look good as WW HD, but fact is that TP aged terribly in comparison with WW and Remaster couldnt change that fact.

I don't recall having issues with how epona handles, the increased mobilty while swimming is nice tho.