By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is God's existence objectively verifiable?

Well, is it objectively verifiable?

Yes 57 15.20%

Not Sure 20 5.33%

No 244 65.07%

What's objective mean? 16 4.27%

Results 38 10.13%

Total:375

if so, the word faith would have no meaning.

Around the Network

We were created by God.we are in a system created by him.we can't see our hear him the same way mario has know real knowledge of miyamoto. Or gta characters of the rock star creators.it would disrupt free will to have god directly interacting in our universe.

MS10 said:
We were created by God.we are in a system created by him.we can't see our hear him the same way mario has know real knowledge of miyamoto. Or gta characters of the rock star creators.it would disrupt free will to have god directly interacting in our universe.

Mario and other playable video game characters have no freewill to speak of. They are just puppets we take control of to interact with fake worlds made out of code.

Didn't God directly interact with our universe LOADS of times in the Bible?

Ljink96 said:
RadiantDanceMachine said:

Ugh, why do people propagate this nonsense? Please stop taking everything your religious friends tell you as gospel truth. There has been no ark found, this is not even debatable. It's yet another Ron Wyatt fraud.

http://www.snopes.com/religion/noahsark.asp

Even Answers in Genesis website tells you to stop spreading this bullshit:

https://answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2013/12/19/has-noahs-ark-been-found/

Even if these non-viable sources are right, you ignore the hard hitting points I mentioned about the Roman Empire and Jesus. This stuff is documented. Jesus wasn't fake. His miracles were documented. Speaking in tongues, it's real. It's the sign of the holy spirit living within you. You think millions of people just act like they all can speak a different tongue all of a sudden?

I've witnessed a friend, who I've never even thought would be demonic, have a spirit cast out of her body and when the pastor asked the demon what its name was, it spoke through her and said "Legion". I was scared as hell that day.

There was a recorded happening in which a teenager was hit by a vehicle and pronounced dead on the scene. His brain was on the freaking street. He was taken to the morgue where his mother, with prayer and power, called him back and sure enough he woke up and told his mother that he was sorry. The doctors and nurses ran out the room, in disbelief in what they saw.

I was born with a defect in which I could not urinate. It was destroying my body. The doctors had no idea what to do, all the treatments failed. But my mother told me that one night, she had been crying about my situation and was praying that a miracle would come my way and that night, she said a figure sat down on her bed and told her that I would have a wet diaper in the morning. Sure enough, she woke up and I no longer had the complication.

When my brother was born, the doctors said he wouldn't live to see a year of age. My parents were distraught but they called a good friend of theirs to pray for him. When the friend arrived, all of the newborn babies that were crying at the hospital...just stopped when he walked in. Every single one of them. He prayed for my brother and the complication resolved shortly there after. 

You can't tell me that God isn't real. There are things that not even science can prove.

Okay so you will stop spreading this bullshit about an ark now?

I believe Jesus was as real as Socrates. As to his miracles, however, this is not historical because history is confined to what is physically possible. That's why the resurrection cannot be said to be historical because it's physically impossible.

You're referring to Glossolalia - it's gibberish...they firmly believe they are speaking a language because they want desperately to be chosen by god.

http://skepdic.com/glossol.html

There was a recorded happening in which a teenager was hit by a vehicle and pronounced dead on the scene. His brain was on the freaking street. He was taken to the morgue where his mother, with prayer and power, called him back and sure enough he woke up and told his mother that he was sorry. The doctors and nurses ran out the room, in disbelief in what they saw.

Never happened, likely an email chain. You religious people really love spreading these stories.

I was born with a defect in which I could not urinate. It was destroying my body. The doctors had no idea what to do, all the treatments failed.

Clearly not true since the problem was resolved...

Don't believe the rest, sorry. This is bullshit your mother told you about. You have no credibility in this regard. 

Ljink96 said:

Ugh, why do people propagate this nonsense? Please stop taking everything your religious friends tell you as gospel truth. There has been no ark found, this is not even debatable. It's yet another Ron Wyatt fraud.

http://www.snopes.com/religion/noahsark.asp

Even Answers in Genesis website tells you to stop spreading this bullshit:

https://answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2013/12/19/has-noahs-ark-been-found/

Even if these non-viable sources are right, you ignore the hard hitting points I mentioned about the Roman Empire and Jesus. This stuff is documented. Jesus wasn't fake. His miracles were documented. Speaking in tongues, it's real. It's the sign of the holy spirit living within you. You think millions of people just act like they all can speak a different tongue all of a sudden?

I've witnessed a friend, who I've never even thought would be demonic, have a spirit cast out of her body and when the pastor asked the demon what its name was, it spoke through her and said "Legion". I was scared as hell that day.

I was born with a defect in which I could not urinate. It was destroying my body. The doctors had no idea what to do, all the treatments failed. But my mother told me that one night, she had been crying about my situation and was praying that a miracle would come my way and that night, she said a figure sat down on her bed and told her that I would have a wet diaper in the morning. Sure enough, she woke up and I no longer had the complication.

When my brother was born, the doctors said he wouldn't live to see a year of age. My parents were distraught but they called a good friend of theirs to pray for him. When the friend arrived, all of the newborn babies that were crying at the hospital...just stopped when he walked in. Every single one of them. He prayed for my brother and the complication resolved shortly there after. 

You can't tell me that God isn't real. There are things that not even science can prove.

I believe Jesus was as real as Socrates. As to his miracles, however, this is not historical because history is confined to what is physically possible. That's why the resurrection cannot be said to be historical because it's physically impossible.

You're referring to Glossolalia - it's gibberish...they firmly believe they are speaking a language because they want desperately to be chosen by god.

Never happened, likely an email chain. You religious people really love spreading these stories.

I was born with a defect in which I could not urinate. It was destroying my body. The doctors had no idea what to do, all the treatments failed.

Don't believe the rest, sorry. This is bullshit your mother told you about. You have no credibility in this regard. 

Wow, you're sad man. Going as far to insult my family is too far gone. I see you're an atheist. It's no use reasonating with you so how about you leave me be okay? You believe what you want and I will believe what I want. I have nothing to lose if there by some chance isn't a God. The same can't be said for you.  If you want a text version of speaking in tongues, the term would be xenoglossi. Look it up. You have no right to insult what I have seen as truth just because you don't believe it. If I say that I just unscrewd a lightbulb, does that mean it's not truthful even if I did? It's not truth because it isn't recorded and written on some forum or website? Man listen to yourself... you have no faith so I can't expect you to see supernaturally. It's basically like talking to a bird right now. You hear me but you don't understand what I'm saying. Bye. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I believe Jesus was as real as Socrates.

Faith is unreasonable.

These beliefs are formed from historical records...the opposite of faith. 

Ljink96 said:

Wow, you're sad man. Going as far to insult my family is too far gone. I see you're an atheist. It's no use reasonating with you so how about you leave me be okay? You believe what you want and I will believe what I want. I have nothing to lose if there by some chance isn't a God. The same can't be said for you.  If you want a text version of speaking in tongues, the term would be xenoglossi. Look it up. You have no right to insult what I have seen as truth just because you don't believe it. If I say that I just unscrewd a lightbulb, does that mean it's not truthful even if I did? It's not truth because it isn't recorded and written on some forum or website? Man listen to yourself... you have no faith so I can't expect you to see supernaturally. It's basically like talking to a bird right now. You hear me but you don't understand what I'm saying. Bye. 

What you're saying has been addressed and debunked. The rest is called anecdotal fallacy...

At what point did I insult your family? 

Faith is illogical, so correct I don't operate on faith. I operate on evidence.

Ljink96 said:
asqarkabab said:
Mr.Playstation said:

Moses- Existed
Jesus- Existed
Abraham -Existed

They all talked about the same god and there was a period of 2000 years between Abraham and Jesus.

how you know that moses and abraham existed ??

jesus is another case

like Muhammad and all other prophets 

God exists because the world was not created automaticely

Well, we at least know Noah existed because they found the ark a while back. It had the exact same dimensions as described in the Bible. And I guess, if those people don't exist then the Roman empire didn't exist too? You can freaking visit Jesus's tomb. There has been water found in which one group of h20 is hydrophobic of another, hinting at water that was split by Moses.

No the Roman Empire existed and there are many things supporting it 

Which Jesus tomb you mean 

I know three tombs one in jerusalem one in srinagar and one in japan 

And that water split where is the source ?

Its like the story that muhammad split the moon 

I heard from the ark been on the mount ararat but dont know if its true 

I heard many years ago that pseudo scientists found jesus blood on golgatha and that it had 23x or something and the hidden place of the ark of convenant that was bullshit 

And about noah that his grave is in naxcivan 

Moses grave is unknown and there is a theory thats in bandipur in kashmir

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Still doing things during my life while believing in God, His Son and The Holy Spirit. What will you be doing when your dead?

Now contrast this with the objective - that which is not subject to interpretation. For example, suppose I had filmed the 9/11 terror attacks. No one can argue that two planes did not collide with the WTC because it's right there on video. (ignoring the possibility of doctored videos, which can be detected anyway)

You either don't understand what objectivity is or you're projecting your own definition of it to shape the discussion on your terms.

Everything observed is subject to interpretation. Someone has to observe it and interpret it to be able to communicate it, and senses are not quite "not subjective" to be able to make such a claim that if you don't see it as I do, then you're seeing it wrong. If you did not learn this in your philosophy class; knowledge, the information you use to form any idea, is just memories. In terms of certainty, you don't really "know" anything. You just remember how you experienced it. Convention of knowledge just places your experiences in context in the enviornment you're in, for which it's helpful to understand and predict scenarios within that environment, but it doesn't make that knowledge any less "true" or "false". This applies to every kind of knowledge, including scientific knowledge which is ever changing and evolving.

Saying that you can observe objectively is a sign that you might be an intstrumentalist, which, ironically is a philosophy that is based off empiricism; the philosophy of "experiencing". But either way, even if you're an instrumentalist, you can claim all you want that you can observe objectively, but you can't prove it. Paradox much.

With that out of the way; as of now, no. If conventionalism says there is no observable proof of any god, then it can't be "objectively" verifiable.

But that's very positivist of me, though. I like the more open minded and yet secular answer; given we think the universe is infinite (observably) and the human understanding of quantum mechanics (and for which its mechanical wave function is actually being debated for ontological attribution, lol), I think yes. Everything that can happen has already happened somewhere.

A better question, IMO, is:

Is God's inexistence objectively verifiable?

Attiq said:

Still doing things during my life while believing in God, His Son and The Holy Spirit. What will you be doing when your dead?

Either ashes in a vase or rotting in the ground, same as you and everyone else.

I do envy the comfort that the religious can take in the idea of an afterlife (and I'm sure I'll want to believe in one near the end) but it's not really a compelling reason for me to have faith in a belief system. Recently, I've come to realize that death is the same state of non-existence I had before birth. Makes it a tad less terrifying, I guess.