By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - is the PS3 the best Gaming Device you can still buy right now? best bang for your buck

Get a launch PS3 and play native PS2 titles upscaled and cleaned up via HDMI :)

PS3 is an excellent console with a great software library(exclusives and major AAA multiplats).

Around the Network

The PS3 has, without an ounce of doubt, The Best catalog of games of the 7th Gen.

So yes, i say that the console is worth the price anytime.

mysteryman said:
I'd go with PC.

Once you start buying games, PC will win out on price, let alone bang-for-your-buck.

I didn't even think about PC.

And yes, once you start buying games, PC wins easily. Your only option to counter this on PS3 is to go bargain bin hunting for really old and cheap used games.

So looks like the ps3 is really the best gaming device for your money! Well that much was obvious.

Chris Hu said:

PS+ used to better then GWC on the 360 but its been forever since they actually gave away two good games on the PS3 side.  So right now if you just compare PS+ and GWC on the PS3 versus the 360 the 360 side wins easily.  Overall the 360 is just more user friendly and the UI is a lot easier.  Plus 3rd party games which make up the bulk of both consoles games run for the most part better on the 360.  Plus with retail games you can install the entire game on the 360's HDD which gives many of them a slight performance boost.

Except that bolded part is mostly just your opinion. XMB has it's fair share of awards, and I personally find it to be delightfully simple (Go left and right to move between categories, of which no less than 6 are visible on screen at any given moment to let you know where you need to move to + Go up and down to select the content/application from the aforementioned categories). So I'm not going to say "XMB is da best", but I can say that it won awards.

As for the PS+ vs GwG, varying combinations of cross-play/buy allow for the PS3 to have more games. Also, in 2015, PS+ reeived these games for PS3:

The Swapper*

Prototype 2

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition*

DuckTales: Remastered

Yakuza 4

Thief**

Rogue Legacy*

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments

Papo & Yo

CounterSpy*

Tower of Guns*

Dishonored**

Aaru's Awakening*

Race the Sun*

The Unfinished Swan*

Hohokum*

Cloudberry Kingdom

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Rain

Entwined*

MouseCraft*

God of War: Ascension

CastleStorm* **

Sound Shapes*

Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones*

Teslagrad*

Twisted Metal

Chariot**

Kung Fu Rabbit*

KickBeat*

Unmachanical: Extended*

Beyond Good & Evil HD

Mass Effect 2

Dragon Fin Soup*

SSX**

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Total: 36

This is in contrast to the Xbox 360:

MX vs. ATV Alive

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons**

Sniper Elite V2

Tomb Raider**

Bioshock Infinite**

Terraria**

Gears of War: Judgment

Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Mafia II

F1 2013

Just Cause 2**

Thief **

Plants vs Zombies**

Gears of War 3

Metro 2033

Metro: Last Light**

Battlestations: Pacific

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes**

The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season

DiRT 3

Dungeon Siege III

CastleStorm**

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Sacred 3

DiRT Showdown

Deus Ex: Human Revolution**

Sacred Citadel

Gears of War 2

Total: 30

*= Cross-buy, either a bonus from a free Vita/PS4 game, or made said game available on Vita/PS4.

**= Appeared on the other service at some point in time as well (including appearences from previous years)

The bolded games are games that have only made free appearances on the associated service, and are all high profile games (this is not including remakes and indies, and also excluding games that may not have received as much attention). You've got five on both ends, so arguing one service gets you more games is just simply untrue. If it seems like XB360 game you better games this year, it's because a lot of those games have already been made available to PS3 owners in the past. And as far as recent entries are concerned, DragonAge: Origins and Farcry 3 are supposed to be good games.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Ruler said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Nope, not as long as PCs exist.

so you can buy a PC for less than 200 bucks which can do the same?

I'd say Snes easily had the better list of games if we are talking about sheer best of the best games available. A Link To The Past, Final Fantasy IV,V, and VI (and good Final Fantasy at that), Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Castlevania IV, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Secret Of Mana, Tales of Phantasia, Super Metroid, Aladdin, Harvest Moon, F Zero, Donkey Kong Country. Secret Of Mana, Street Fighter II, Killer Instinct...

So many good games it would probably keep you busy for the rest of this gen easy.