Forums - Music Discussion - Did you have Music lessons during secondary school ?

Did you have Music lessons during secondary (or any other) school ?

Yes, I attended lessons at school 14 73.68%

Yes, I had an optional course 1 5.26%

Yes, I attended to private lessons 0 0.00%

No. 4 21.05%

Total:19

During elementary school we had a music class.

I got to experience using a flute and violin ;o

Edit: It was mandatory too. I believe if I remember right it was 2nd grade l0l

Complete waste of time and I remember the teacher half of the time warning us not to break the instrument or our parents will have to pay for replacements and that it would go on our permanent record or w/e.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Around the Network
Machina said:

Mind you, that was far from the most pointless compulsory class at my secondary school. That award undoubtedly goes to having to learn Welsh.

You're from Wales? :o

Can you still speak any of it now?

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

No, never had any music lessons on school. But since I always liked music, I started taking piano (classical) / music theory lessons since I was 5 or 6. I still train/study a lot to this day, there's always a way to improve.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I think in elementary school, we were forced to practice Chorus and play the Recorder.

Starting from middle school, music was pretty much optional, but I started taking Violin lessons in Orcherstra class, and I still do, not sure if I will continue practicing when I go to university.

Yes, in 9th grade we were required to take a music class. We didn't play instruments in the class. We just learned about music and its history, did some singing, learned about instruments. People who were more interested in music could join chorus or the various bands (Jazz band, Concert Band, Marching Band) for fun. There was also an AP Music Theory course offered, but only those who were truly interested in music took it (about ten students per year out of 170.)

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Machina said:

Mind you, that was far from the most pointless compulsory class at my secondary school. That award undoubtedly goes to having to learn Welsh.

You're from Wales? :o

Can you still speak any of it now?

Nah I'm from England, but I went to secondary school in Wales as it was better than any of the English ones in the vicinity and was just over the border (Monmouth Comp).

And no I can't, besides stock phrases. I never became fluent or anything - I dropped the subject as soon as I could xD

Yes, every year from grade 1 to 13. Usually 2 hours a week, sometimes 3.

Gave me mad flute skills, lol.

If you don't play an instrument, then it's a waste of time. People say it's good for your brain. Well guess what sherlock, I can exercise my brain in different ways.

I ditched music classes. Never liked them. Waste of time.

My cousin learned how to play piano by himself. Doesn't know how to read, and he doesn't need to. He makes amazing soundtracks, and is great at the piano.

I might choose to do what he did and learn the piano by myself

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

In US, we had mandatory Music class every year until 10th grade. Some we had to sing, some we had to use instruments, some were about computer music, some was about historical music people like Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Handel. Before Middle School were required recital things.

Yep until age 14 I think, after that was optional. Think we watched more videos then actually learning music though