By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii - Motion Sensor = ?????

SeriousWB said:
PS3 - tech update = PS2
X360 - tech update = Xbox
Wii - wiimote = Gamecube with tech update

You have won this thread. Here, have the cookie of victory.

On-topic: The Wii without it's motion sensing capabilities would sell even less than the Gamecube. For the records, in the hypothetical case that the Wii didn't had that feature, I would quit console gaming totally. (sp? gr?)

Around the Network

Wii-Motion Sensing=FAILURE

fazz said:
SeriousWB said:
PS3 - tech update = PS2
X360 - tech update = Xbox
Wii - wiimote = Gamecube with tech update
You have won this thread. Here, have the cookie of victory.

On-topic: The Wii without it's motion sensing capabilities would sell even less than the Gamecube. For the records, in the hypothetical case that the Wii didn't had that feature, I would quit console gaming totally. (sp? gr?)
I agree with the cookie, not your comment. It would probably be doing better than the Gamecube due to price, but not too much better. (And since you asked, "its", "would have sold", "record", "Wii hadn't had", "would have quit". Not too bad.)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Here's a question: What would the controller be like on a Wii with no motion sensing? Would it still have a pointer and speaker? Or would it just recycle the admirable Gamecube controller?

Hypothesis A: Standard controller would be Wavebird with rumble and maybe a speaker.

Hypothesis B: Nintendo would have come up some even CRAZIER new control scheme. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

The Wii IS the controller. Sure, there's a few other features, but before the Wii/Revolution, all of the hype was for the mysterious controller. Everyone was trying to guess what Nintendo had up it's sleave. Touch screens? Microphones? The big advancement was the controller. End of story.

Around the Network

Christhor said:
Maybe it's because I'm left-handed but the Wiimote just doesn't feel right in my hands :

Eh? Have you tried holding it in your left hand?

Seriously, all the southpaws I know love the Wiimote for being handedness-neutral. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Christhor said:
Maybe it's because I'm left-handed but the Wiimote just doesn't feel right in my hands :

I feel the same way, right now i keep trying to learn to use the wiimote on my right hand....cause i'm used to move with my left  hand and to point also with the left

When i played Strikers i had to change hand to be able to avoid the goals...or the special planet of mario. Maybe for that reason i still don't want to buy MP3 or MoH:H2

On topic Wii-Wiimote is on the same category of X360- Xbox Live or PS3- Blue Ray...just the Wii's tech leap was insignificant next to the X360 or PS3

WiiU/Wii/3DS/DS/Xbox360/PS3/PSP Owner 
3DS FC: 1032-1246-9162  (Nacho)
Nintendo Network ID: Zap786
If you add me, please let me know to add you back

Cheebee said:
This thread is useless. The whole point of the Wii is the motion sensing. It's like asking, "What would the Xbox 360 be without graphics and online' :p, or "What would DS be without 2 screens and its touchscreen"

This thread isn't useless , you just don't full understand what i'm trying to say as a matter of fact I don't think you really know what your saying. The PS3 could have in theory outsold the 360 with inferior graphics given that it had released the same year as the 360 with it's '08 line up , the PS2 even managed to outsell the XBOX with inferior capabilities.

You couldn't argue graphics were as significant as the Wii's motion capabilities , the most succesfull PS3 games haven't neccaserily been the most beautiful look at Lair or the upcoming GTA for example.

Without the Wii-mote my immediate thought is that Nintendo would struggle to sell more than 5 Million however with the right 3rd part support , marketing and promotion they could have managed to be at least 2nd best , the Wii proly wouldn't be as low spec or as cheap as it is now so it would def changed the face of the market.

I think the Wii was soo risky that it was probably Nintendo's last shot at the console market , the release of the Wii is like defying the laws of physics , last gen hardware , Motion Sensing controls VS Blu-Ray and XBL and Nintendo managed to overcome.

XBL isn't a drastic change as the wiimote, the Xbox had XBL... The tech update is its change.

If there was no wiimote there would be something else, or more expensive hardware. Most probably something else since Nintendo read the market pretty well.

What would the PS3 be like if it was inferior to the Wii on a technical standpoint? That question is equally pointless Million.